Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S Battery life?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Lads I love my phone, don't get me wrong it's savage!
    but is it just me, our is the battery complete and utter tripe?

I'm using advanced task manager, have my brightness settings way down, vibrate turned off, wifi turned on when ast home for surfing, blue tooth turned off blah blah blah.......

the battery is just feeble though!
    in the space of twenty mins, I've gone from 20% to less than 9, while phone was idle!

someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong?

help or advice gladly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

My brother has this phone and had battery issues. I will ask him how he got over them and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Seems like a huge drop there.
    Today I charged mine to 100% before leaving for evening classes, 7 hours and 8mins later it's at 84%, I had mobile data and wifi turned off and I was playing music for about two hours total on the bus in/out.

What's top of your battery usage meter?

I've read mixed reports about letting your battery discharge fully then recharging fully to get better life, maybe someone else can argue for/against that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have had two people ask me how's my battery life on my Samsung. One an o2 and one Vodafone. Both people had branded handsets and a Samsung task manager app that I didn't. My wife phone also doent have that app and also doesn't have battery problems. Wonder if its a firmware thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

I charge mine every night and often it's a struggle to get 12-14 hours out of it. It's one of only a few complaints I have with the device. I keep everything off (WiFi, BT) when not needed. Don't know if Android 2.2 is expected to help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Seems like a huge drop there.
    Today I charged mine to 100% before leaving for evening classes, 7 hours and 8mins later it's at 84%, I had mobile data and wifi turned off and I was playing music for about two hours total on the bus in/out.

What's top of your battery usage meter?

I've read mixed reports about letting your battery discharge fully then recharging fully to get better life, maybe someone else can argue for/against that?

jaysus I'm getting nowhere near that on mine!
    making a few calls, checking out a few sites on the net, thats about it!
    as said earlier, have my brighttness setting down as low as I can get it, status info usually states that my battery usage is something like 96% for display!
    7 or 8 hours would be wishful thinking for me!

seriously considering asking 3 for a new battery, gratis off course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Thats very strange, I have mine on all day in work with wifi and I listen to today fm/newstalk apps on the bus in and out and I'm rarely below 50% by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

IMHO 3G, GPS and WiFi (in that order) are the biggest drainers , i lose less less than 5% overnight with these three turned off (Use APN ON/OFF widget for turning off 3G).

My battery lasts 2 days unless I play games (Robo Defense / Angry Birds /Asphalt etc) with roughly 10-20 minutes of calls everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

With 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time I get two days out of my Galaxy S. I have managed three but thats with very little use. Most days I have maybe an hour of calls, a few texts and a good bit of browsing the internet.

Overnight it loses 2-3% battery. A lot of apps are left on standby all the time even though I have the samsung task killer.

I'm running stock 2.1 and no root.

Theres 32% battery left now and I didn't charge it last night. I dont think I ever got 2 days out of the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

My Galaxy S used to quite good I'd get almost 2 days out of it if I didn't use it that much. Now just within the last few days the battery is draining much quicker so it could be some app I installed recently thats changed something. I did notice that almost 5MB was downloaded according to my net usage monitor this morning without me using it so perhaps some app is hogging the network. There is an app to monitor data usage per app linky but it only works on android 2.2. If I figure out whats made the change I'll let ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

My phone seems to be back to normal again, after a full charge night before last had it on all day yesterday and all last night and battery is at 48% now although I didn't use it much yesterday its much better than it was when it seemed to be draining fast.

Unfortunately I'm not sure whats changed, I did kill a load of apps but just checking there now they're all running again. It may have just been some apps doing updates or something.

Another thing I'll just throw out there now sure would have anything to do with battery life but I noticed my external 2GB SD card was full when I went to take a picture so I deleted some stuff to free up a couple of hundred MB's.

So after all that battery life is back to normal so don't know which of the above actually made the difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement