Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Video ?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I am interested in making a wedding video of my sisters wedding, I have a small bit of videoing experience but I was wondering is there a course that I can do in Dublin or is there something else that I can do which will help me to make the video ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I am interested in making a wedding video of my sisters wedding, I have a small bit of videoing experience but I was wondering is there a course that I can do in Dublin or is there something else that I can do which will help me to make the video ?

How experienced are you in video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

there's loads of tutorials on youtube, just put in what software you're using with "wedding turorial" after it

here's some google links

http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=816&q=wedding+video+tutorial&aq=0&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=wedding+video+tu&gs_rfai=&fp=304a778196084d5f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ahbegob

Well it's what I do for a living. So I may be of help.
    Make sure you have spare tapes and batteries are all charged.
    Record as much as you can on a tripod- it looks better

The most overlooked aspect of a wedding DVD is the audio. Ideally you will use a wireless system (recording the vows/speeches etc directly from the church/hotel's A/V system)

Failing that a good option is using a separate audio recorder hug close to a church/hotel speaker or use a lead from the camcorder to get the mic up to a speaker.

The best videogs are experienced. Best you don't use your sisters wedding as the first one- practiice at another wedding and at the very least go to a few weddings.

One of the most telling things about an amateur's footage is that often the camera is pointed the wrong way at crucial time and then it whips around as the videographer did not know what was about to happen. The experienced videographer may pan around the guests and move the camera around to the couple just as they are about to say vows.

Anyway- just a few tips- good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Sorry Churches A/V can you go into abit further, on what this is ? Also I was thinking about doing a course in Filmbase http://www.filmbase.ie/training/camera_courses.php/
    maybe Shoot to Edit course or Camera HDV / DV - Beginners just to get more experience as I haven't shoot for a few years

Just another on lights, some cameras come with on board light, when should these be used ? + mics on cameras how far can these pick up sound ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ahbegob

If you don't know what you are doing- I'd stay well away from the audio visual systems of a church or hotel. So I won't go there.

Your only option is a passive use of a church or hotel's system. So you could use a mike stand and extend your mike via lead so that it is near a church/hotel speaker. Sound can be monitored on a pair of cans.

We use a wireless system- essentially we dial into the church or hotel's frequency and get it that way. Nice and clean. If the church does not have a wireless system then we'd introduce one- perhaps put a transmitter on the groom.

Camcorder lights are not very good. They should almost never be used in a wedding- it draws attention to yourself. The only way they may be used would be during extreme darkness such as for some hotels during dancing or outside during fireworks. Pro videographers use separate lights mounted on the camcorder- they often never use them though as their camcorders work very well in low light.

Filmbase do very good courses- I'd sign up and get loads of hands on advice. Better to make mistakes there then at your sister's wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Thereyago

you should check out http://www.shotclip.com

It explains how to video a wedding...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

locate the zoom button on your camera and put a nail through it. Lots of people do diy wedding videos that look crap because they are constantly zooming in and out....like a bad eposide of nypd blue. Suss out the church, meet the priest/vicar at the wedding practice so you're clear in advance where you will be positioned. Cut aways !!! get lots of them - they'll help you out when you're trying to make a difficult edit to work (shot of flowers, candles, congregation, etc.....). I'd agree with Ahbegob regarding sound but you may not have the equipment so you could limit it to vows - and then do various montages to music (church being set up, guests arriving, bride arriving...., etc). If you have a spare camera have it in a fixed position so that you can use footage from this to fix issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys, thanks for your feedback so far, I was speaking to my sister and she is a bit unconfortable about her fiance wearing a clip mic. However I have tried to reassure her by saying we could practice in advance with the clip mic before the day it self.

However I have a few other sound queries:

- 1 camera man was telling me he puts an MP3 sound recorder with a mic attached on the alter, were the readings are been done. Has anyone experimented with this before and does it work okay ?

- Another camera guy was saying that I could attach an MP3 to a Phono 2 jack lead and the other end of the lead could be inserted into the church sound system or speaker and then the MP3 could record the sound directly. Has anyone experimented with this before and does it work okay ?

- Lastly if I was to put a mic on a mic stand and leave it against a church sound speaker, what type of mic could I use here ? and could a rifle mic on a mic stand be left against a church sound speaker ?

Any reponses much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Well, I think you also can make a cool wedding flash gallery!
    Just came across this tutorial: http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tutorial/How-to-make-a-web-flash-gallery-on-Mac-with-songs/62806
    U must be surprisied as me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

I'm a full time videographer. Send me a mail and I'll give you a few tips.
    My site link is below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement