Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secret fixings

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    Looking for help with hanging a new oak unit. Its solid oak sides and shelves 17mm thick and back 12mm thick. Unit is 150mm deep, 800wd and 1300 hi or so. Pretty hefty really, and it will be stacked with with my much prized CD collection. So now the tricky part. I want to hang it on a block wall with secret fixings. Any recommendations? I had thought about using a brass plate with key hole on both the uprights but not sure if that will carry the weight?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

pmcgowan wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for help with hanging a new oak unit. Its solid oak sides and shelves 17mm thick and back 12mm thick. Unit is 150mm deep, 800wd and 1300 hi or so. Pretty hefty really, and it will be stacked with with my much prized CD collection. So now the tricky part. I want to hang it on a block wall with secret fixings. Any recommendations? I had thought about using a brass plate with key hole on both the uprights but not sure if that will carry the weight?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Not sure what you mean by the brass plate, but if you want to screw it to the block wall you could get Oak plugs to hide the screws, Id imagine half inch plugs would be enough.

http://www.realoakfloors.co.uk/solid_oak_plug.php here s sample of what I mean your local joinery factory would sort you out with them. Just make sure they match the oak you have as close aspossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Paul

Does your cabinet have a recessed or flush back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

If it dose have a recessed back you could use a split batton...

If it's flush you could use these....modular fixing plates...

http://www.hafele.ie/HafeleIreland35a1/Templates/hafele/Products.asp?param=4403&ig_id=13947&title=Standard+Modular+plates

You'll need to take a recess out of your gables the same size as the fixing plus need to be fairly accurate with the fixing in to the wall ....

Or as threeinn99 suggested ,use a timber plug......anyone who makes stairs would have loads of these ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pmcgowan

Paul

Does your cabinet have a recessed or flush back?

It's a flush back; I made it from oak too biscuit jointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pmcgowan

Thanks everyone. I think the Hafele fixing is exactly what I need. I want to hang off the side panels rather than the flush panel backing so a plug and screw is probably not practicable. I will use a router to recess the Hafele fixing so it is flush.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement