Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tradesman cut my phone line outside

Options
  • 11-10-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Our phone line in our garden has been cut by a tradesman who obviously needed to move (cut) it to get his digger in. He is unwilling/unable to reconnect it.

As it's outside house, I imagine I'm not really allowed to reconnect it myself and must involve eircom. Before i do so, I want to have an idea what they will charge to rewire from the pole to my house.

I'm sure I could reconnect the wires myself and would happily do so to avoid paying eircom costs. But don't want to have future issues with Eircom....especially since upon looking at it, it appears a previous tradesman has had a go at it - there are already choc-box connections between the pole at the Network Terminating Unit that don't look like eircom installed them.

Any other issues I ought to be aware of in trying to sort this as cheaply and quickly as possible? My phone provider is vodafone, not eircom.

Would appreciate help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I was under impression that phone lines are owned by Eircom and Voda use them to provide their services
    source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eircom

contact them here asap http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/
    As for the tradesman in person(he will have to cover the repair costs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I was under impression that phone lines are owned by Eircom and Voda use them to provide their services
    source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eircom

I concur. OP if it's outside your home, it's not your line, it's Eircom's in a manner of speaking, and the onus is on them to repair it.

If you were an Eircom customer I'd tell you to dial 1901 and say faults to get through to the right department, even though you are with Vodafone you can still try that route - failing that get onto Vodafone.

And chill out man, I'd be very surprised if this costs you one red cent :)
    As for the tradesman in person(he will have to cover the repair costs)

Issue for Eircom, not the consumer as the line outside his home is not actually his even if it was just one cable cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

the line from the exchange to a premises is always going to belong to eircom, it's so that there aren't a dozen companys digging up the road. the last mile it's called.

the de-markation point between what your responsible for and what eircom is responisable for is the 1st phone point in the house/office

I'd ring 1901 and report a line fault to eircom. If your'e split, line with eircom/broadband with Voda that should be enough. Belt and braces aproach I'd still report it to Voda. Just to be on the safe side!

realy it shouldn't cost a red cent to you to sort

Advertisement