Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italo Calvino: Opinions?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Have been reading a lot of Italo Calvino for the last couple of years - in my opinion one of the most imaginative and original writers of the 20th century. Sadly he seems to be somewhat forgotten - most bookshops don't stock any of his books. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has great appreciation for the man?

For those that don't know him already, Calvino often wrote in a deceptively simple allegorical style, communicating deep philosophical concepts through comical short stories and clever wordplay - take for example his great work If On A Winter's Night A Traveler, which is a book about the act of reading it. The reader plays a character within the novel - the first chapter begins with you purchasing the book itself. Very interesting read that gets at the guise of the author, the emotional relationships that develop between the reader and fictional characters within novels - and why we read books at all. For anyone looking for something a bit different, I would really recommend it - although if you wanted to start with a quicker read I would go for Invisible Cities or Difficult Loves. Both very enjoyable, and addictive!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

A new edition of Calvino's Cosmicomics was issued recently; I've seen it stocked in several bookstores. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Have it and read it. Fantastic work, and quite comical as the title promises.

Any collection of short stories about a cosmic old-timer recounting tales of the big bang, the day colour "happened", the invention of gravity, and the existence of three dimensional space is well worth a read in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Heh Daddio,

Calvino is easily one of my all-time favourite writers.

Have you read Mr Palomar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I gave up half way through 'invisible cities' but then again I'm not crazy about long architectural descriptions.

Grievous wrote: »
    Heh Daddio,

Calvino is easily one of my all-time favourite writers.

Have you read Mr Palomar?
    No haven't read it yet, it's on my list. Did you enjoy it?

@Hatful: Stick with it, it's a joy to read. Once you finish it it's full effect will hit you :) So original, simple, yet such great depth.

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote: »
    No haven't read it yet, it's on my list. Did you enjoy it?

Yes, I did.
    Mr Palomar is about an eccentric old man who spends his days thinking about various things about human nature, nature and the universe at large. Theology, epistemology and plenty of Meta-physical thought.

A better description would be: He LOOKS at things and the result is fascinating.
    A fine cheeze? A topless woman on the beach? The love-life of two Tortoises in his garden? The workings of a wave in the sea?
    It's also a short work and well worth reading.

Invisible Cities is amazing as well. It's clever the way he is describing lots of different cities yet they could all be one city: Venice.

I've actually fallen out of love with reading lately, my thesis earlier this year killed the relationship between my eyes and the written word - and Will Self hasn't helped reinvigorate it - maybe Mr Palomar might amend the situation. :)
    Sounds typical of Calvino actually, a protagonist with a pervading sense of wonderment of the everyday's minutiae.

I don't know if you have read Difficult Loves, but for anyone who hasn't I highly recommend it - it presents a series of short stories that he calls adventures. In many ways they're are quite banale in the sense that they are "everyday" and not really adventures at all, but at the same time in the normality of their subject matter they are captivating and thought-provoking. One of the most enjoyable books I've read I think.

No, I have not.
    I'll put it on my to get list.
    Thank You Daddio.

"So, If on a winter's night in dublin, you go into Chapters and buy a book called.............you meet a sexy woman........................You find a suitcase full of Quantum biscuits........."

Finish the story.

I'd probably go home, try and sit comfortably, and read Italo Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller.

And like two mirrors facing each other, the loop would continue indefinitely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

One of my favourite writers ever. Havent read him in years and years. Must get back to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement