Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Electricity

Options
  • 11-10-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about "Dirty Electricity", what appliances produce it, is there any [easy] way to check the levels of it, is it something worth being aware of and taking measures to reduce?

Just inquiring having seen this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dozydelilah

wow, thats mad, i wonder is there any ways to check it out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

wow, thats mad, i wonder is there any ways to check it out here?

I'm wondering the same, particularly because we will only be able to buy energy saving light bulbs pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I've had a look into Dr. Havas' background - she doesn't seem to have a whole lot of credible research published. I have uncovered one of her papers - the conclusion implied in the title is a ridiculous over-statement (in my opinion) considering it is based on just a handful of cases. Even the conclusions drawn from the individual case studies are pretty flimsy.

I've been trying to dig up some info on the operation of these GS filters but (surprise, surprise), I'm not having much luck.

All-in-all, I don’t think I’ll be rushing to replace my light bulbs just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

djpbarry wrote: »
    I've had a look into Dr. Havas' background - she doesn't seem to have a whole lot of credible research published. I have uncovered one of her papers - the conclusion implied in the title is a ridiculous over-statement (in my opinion) considering it is based on just a handful of cases. Even the conclusions drawn from the individual case studies are pretty flimsy.

I've been trying to dig up some info on the operation of these GS filters but (surprise, surprise), I'm not having much luck.

cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

djpbarry wrote: »

So you don't think the emf readings are anything to worry about with these so called cleaner greener bulbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

digme wrote: »
    So you don't think the emf readings are anything to worry about with these so called cleaner greener bulbs?
    What do you mean by "EMF readings"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This stuff is bunk.

http://www.skepdic.com/emf.html
    The National Research Council (NRC) spent more than three years reviewing more than 500 scientific studies that had been conducted over a 20-year period and found "no conclusive and consistent evidence" that electromagnetic fields harm humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

mikhail wrote: »

Mobile phones are included in this I assume?

EDIT: Read a bit, and yes it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Personally I feel that anyone who owns a mobile phone , TV , computer, microwave , electric toothbrush , car with central locking or any one of innumerable devices can hardly complain about devices that generate low amounts of radio frequency radiation.

Some wall plugs have transformers and they are very heavy due to the copper and iron in them. Almost all other mains powered equipment with a display or LED (including phone chargers) contains a switch mode power supply which emits radio waves.

TBH about the worst device in this regard is a mobile phone, up to a watt of RF and at a more energetic wavelength than most other devices and people tend to hold them up to their brains or carry them near their genitals.

Just to mention that mobile phones use as little power as possible so as to conserve the battery. If those devices that shield you from mobile phone radiation actually worked all that would happen is that the mobile phone would use more power to blast through more than offsetting any benefit since typically you don't hold the side with the shield to your ear.

Yes RF can cause harm, but so does sunlight, and while there no laws preventing people going outside there are laws restricting the amount of RF people can be exposed to. On that note it's important to mention that most RF radiation doesn't have enough energy to do much apart from heat up stuff ( and your body has lots of heat sensors ) you have to get into visible light and UV before you start having chemical effects.

To be blunt the UV radiation from the bulbs is probably a bigger danger than the "dirty electricity"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

digme wrote: »

There is nothing to worry about. This is the same nonsense that causes people to protest because electrical wires are being put up near the house. There is a difference between EMFs from things like this and Electromagnetic Radiation from mobile phones. Not saying the radiation causes cancer either but EMF's definitely don't. There are EMF's all around us anyway whether you like it or not, so the only solution would be to wear a spacesuit if you are that worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Well i think my tinfoil hat and y fronts mini faraday cage will suffice to keep out the dirt. slow news day in montreal.

Advertisement