Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Shops Opening Hours Through The Winter.

Options
  • 11-10-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

I just heard on the 1pm news on Radio 1 that the owners of betting Shops want them to stay open every night throughout the Winter months, I think it's a crazy idea, at the moment we're allowed to open when these's an Irish meeting on and hardly anyone is coming in, I think the way it is now is fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mrtonyb69

I agree. Working late in a nearly empty shop doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I think they only want it when there is all weather racing on in the uk, Wolverhampton etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Bookies have been moaning about late night opening for years but the costs associated with it would be very big.
    The number of people in bookies late at night is getting smaller and smaller.
    People don't have the money any more and couldn't stay in a shop for hours and hours so I can't see where they will make the money.
    I guess they all want turnover, more t/over = more profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Is it true Dundalk allweather isnt open much for the rest of the year and next anyway, i heard they're shutting from November to May, sounds ridiculous but i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Kod-box wrote: »
    Is it true Dundalk allweather isnt open much for the rest of the year and next anyway, i heard they're shutting from November to May, sounds ridiculous but i could be wrong.
    Rubbish, there are 10 more meetings there this year, some in Oct, Nov and December. Then as usual it reopens in March with the usual fixtures in April and through the summer. It had it's fixtures reduced by TWO for 2011.

http://www.irishracing.com/v5fixtures?pro=C&pri=IRE&prc=087

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You would think an all weather track would be open in the middle of winter when there's ice on the ordinary tracks causing them to be cancelled.
    They don't have enough meetings there and the reason for this is that the bookies won't pay any more money to the racing board to allow them to put reasonable money up as prize money.
    Catch 22.
    Bookies want more t/o and racing wants more revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You would think an all weather track would be open in the middle of winter when there's ice on the ordinary tracks causing them to be cancelled.
    They don't have enough meetings there and the reason for this is that the bookies won't pay any more money to the racing board to allow them to put reasonable money up as prize money.
    Also a lot of flat horses aren't in training in the middle of the winter so there is a lack of runners available, which has only been added to in the current climate.

Whilst we see a few NH horse up there it isn't every trainers/owners cup of tea as there are plenty of other fixtures around.

How many days racing have we lost to bad weather over the winter in the last five years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The only horses that are left in training in winter are handicap horses rated up to about 90 if you're lucky in the UK. Can anyone remember when the Winter Derby is ran? It seems to be evading me,but is it toward the end of January/early February?

Advertisement