Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little help required

Options
  • 11-10-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey all ,

Ok so here is my story , im 25 been smoking now 14 years roughly , have tried so many times to quit smoking and to well fail miserably , have tried the patches , inhaler , going cold turkey , cutting down and chaning to lighter cigs , but none worked .

I always try to get myself into the frame of mind to say to myself ''yes im going to do it this time '' then when it comes to the crunch i panic , i say right im going to start say next monday and sunday night i will end up thinking about it and panic . I do work and well my job aint that stressful and i have easy acsess to have a smoke , meaning we can go out and have one when ever we feel like it .

I am at this stage tired of smoking and it is at this point a dirty habbit which is hard to shake , i know its affecting my health and well not even that is willing me to stop , i would on average smoke 15-20 smokes a day depending , i would always buy another 20 everyone morning going to work 'so i wouldnt run out ' i guess im just looking for some inspiration from others that may wake me up and think right i can do this

Thanks for reading

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi smurf1985
    Just go for it! you won't look back.
    Yes it is tough to make the first step but panic is not necessary. What is the worst that can happen??!

As you will see from this forum we all have different experiences. I am off them 14 weeks today and found it tough but I am no longer getting cravings every day so not so bad.
    Some people say that it is easier than they thought it would be, so we are all different.

The thing is once you make that first step, to go back on them is not so easy 'cause you have "got this far"

Well done on making the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Hello Smurf,

It's a gradual process from my experience. I'm off them now for 13 weeks, unlike Navan I still have cravings, and the major difference this time to all lother times is that psychologically I have given up.

On other occasions I have always looked for a reason to smoke but this time I am looking at the reasons NOT to smoke. I have tried unsuccessfully in the past but I think that on each occasion I gained a little and that eventually I have now reached the stage where I no longer consider myself a smoke both physically and mentally - although I do deliberately pass by anyone one smoking to get a good sniff of their smoke :D.

Best of luck in your efforts but my advice would be don't beat yourself up too badly if you relapse just set another date and eventually it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smurf1985

Hello Smurf,

It's a gradual process from my experience. I'm off them now for 13 weeks, unlike Navan I still have cravings, and the major difference this time to all lother times is that psychologically I have given up.

On other occasions I have always looked for a reason to smoke but this time I am looking at the reasons NOT to smoke. I have tried unsuccessfully in the past but I think that on each occasion I gained a little and that eventually I have now reached the stage where I no longer consider myself a smoke both physically and mentally - although I do deliberately pass by anyone one smoking to get a good sniff of their smoke :D.

Best of luck in your efforts but my advice would be don't beat yourself up too badly if you relapse just set another date and eventually it will happen.

Thanks :) .. i actually was having a good think to myself yesterday and wrote down all the reasons why i wanted to stop and helped , i smoked my last ciggy last night before i went to bed and today i dont feel to bad i had bit of a craving this morning before i left for work , but just took few deep breaths and made a cup of herbal tea and out the door i went , i thought i was going to feel worse as i was imagining the last few times how i felt but feel different this time .. so here we goooo happy thoughts to a smoke free me woo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Hiya Smurf1985

I've been off them nearly two years and this si what I have concluded...

1. This will be the hardest thing you will ever have to do, I mean its REALLY hard. People, places and habits will all remind you of smoking so you have to mentally prepare yourself for how hard it will be.

2. The Nicotine cravings don't dissapear over night, over 2 weeks, over 5 weeks...I still have them. They do get easier to cope with though and I'm at the stage where I regurlary have days I never think of them.

3. I always compare giving up smoking with breaking up with a bad boyfriend, you know they are no good for you but that makes you want them more. Dont put yourself in the position where you around them, literally break up with them, treat them with repulsion, distance yourself from them.

4.Tell your mates not to offer you any and make sure they know you are serious.

5. Drink loads of water and eat chewing gum, it will help get you through it.

6. Fair play to you for deciding to give up, its the most important step. Have a treat for yourself when you reach little goals...like after one week have a facial or after a month maybe some new shoes.

I cant descibe how much better I feel, how much better I smell and how much fitter I am now they are gone...Best of luck OP :)

Advertisement