Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC securewatch nuisance alarms

Options
  • 11-10-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a HKC securewatch alarm which has being having nuisance alarms about once every 2 weeks for the last month or so. The alarms are being triggered by a zone with 4 window shocksensors and 1 magnetic door contact. Is it possible to test the shocksensors operation individually? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

There is a faulty sensor on this zone, it could be more than one sensor so test them all this way.

To test the sensors on the zone you will need a multimeter. The way to test the sensors is on a length of cable connected to the sensor and the other end to the multimeter. Set the multimeter to continuity, make a note of the reading before you tap or open the sensor, with the meter in your hand open and close each contact plus tap each sensor a few times one by one. After each tap or open close the reading should return to the same reading. If the level stays higher than the original reading this is your faulty sensor. Do this on all the sensors as like i said there could be more than one faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Set it to ohms and not continuity

Either way will find a faulty sensor.

Don't think so.
    All you get on continuity is a continuous tone with zero readings
    If the resistance of a sensor goes up you will still get continuity.
    You need to be measuring the resistance values and comparing them with installed ones or looking for fluctuating readings

You will still get the fluctuating reading if the sensor is faulty.

• Advertisement

What units are you measuring on continuity:confused:
    The op will need to set his meter to ohms

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

altor wrote: »
    There is a faulty sensor on this zone, it could be more than one sensor so test them all this way.

To test the sensors on the zone you will need a multimeter. The way to test the sensors is on a length of cable connected to the sensor and the other end to the multimeter. Set the multimeter to continuity, make a note of the reading before you tap or open the sensor, with the meter in your hand open and close each contact plus tap each sensor a few times one by one. After each tap or open close the reading should return to the same reading. If the level stays higher than the original reading this is your faulty sensor. Do this on all the sensors as like i said there could be more than one faulty.

thanks, what do you mean by open and close each contact plus tap each sensor, aren't you opening and closing the contact by tapping the sensor

on another forum I was told to disconnect the zone at the panel, extend the zone wires and connect to a multimeter, then walk around to each sensor tapping each one and noting the readings, reading to return to original reading +/- 1 or 2 ohms if the sensor was serviceable. I didnt have any wire long enough for this so I just left the meter connected to the zone wires at the panel, tapped each sensor and went back to the panel to check the reading, wasnt practical though as the reading changes too fast.

Then I just connected the meter to each sensor individually, to the little cylindrical like object in the sensor which looks like a starter in a fluorescent light fitting. Tapping the capsule caused an increase in resistance followed by a return to the original reading of 1 or 2 ohms in a few seconds. I tapped each sensor about fifty times, the reading would return to the original reading every time bar once or twice for each sensor. If the sensor is faulty should the reading never return to the original when tapped, or does the fact that the reading didnt return to the original reading once or twice out of fifty tries for each sensor mean that all 4 sensors are faulty?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

king2 wrote: »
    on another forum I was told to disconnect the zone at the panel, extend the zone wires and connect to a multimeter, then walk around to each sensor tapping each one and noting the readings, reading to return to original reading +/- 1 or 2 ohms

That would be the best way of doing it.
    By just testing each sensor one by one you are eliminating the possibility of a faulty contact/MC , if any are present. You are also eliminating finding any damaged cables, connections etc.

king2 wrote: »
    thanks, what do you mean by open and close each contact plus tap each sensor, aren't you opening and closing the contact by tapping the sensor

on another forum I was told to disconnect the zone at the panel, extend the zone wires and connect to a multimeter, then walk around to each sensor tapping each one and noting the readings, reading to return to original reading +/- 1 or 2 ohms if the sensor was serviceable. I didnt have any wire long enough for this so I just left the meter connected to the zone wires at the panel, tapped each sensor and went back to the panel to check the reading, wasnt practical though as the reading changes too fast.

Then I just connected the meter to each sensor individually, to the little cylindrical like object in the sensor which looks like a starter in a fluorescent light fitting. Tapping the capsule caused an increase in resistance followed by a return to the original reading of 1 or 2 ohms in a few seconds. I tapped each sensor about fifty times, the reading would return to the original reading every time bar once or twice for each sensor. If the sensor is faulty should the reading never return to the original when tapped, or does the fact that the reading didnt return to the original reading once or twice out of fifty tries for each sensor mean that all 4 sensors are faulty?

The shock part of the sensor plus some have a reed fitted, this is the contact part of the sensor. When you open the door by moving the magnet it opens the reed.

I have found myself that while using the ohms setting that you can get different readings even if the sensor is working with no faults. Using the continuity I have the found faulty sensors better but that is my opinion. I would not think they are all faulty. You will get a constant .005 - .008 reading on the meter at the faulty sensor.

Advertisement