Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Digital Video Camera for presentations?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I'm helping out a voluntary organisation with some web stuff and they were asking about a digital video camera to upload some presentations to their web site.

So I'm looking for some advise on a reasonably priced digital video camera and small directional mic attachment.

Suggestions?

(Mods feel free to move if this isn't the best forum for this)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Moved here from the Photography Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Whats you're budget??

Going with no info on the budget, i would recommend the Canon HV series, so the HV20, HV30 or HV40. Not much difference between them really, just the age. Used the prices range form about €400 for the HV20 to about €700 or so for the HV40.

I couldn't recommend them more, i've had a HV20 for over a year now and love it, great quality, and not too difficult to use. It also has an external mic attachment, which slots into the shoes on top and plugs into the jack on the side, a 3.5mm jack in this case. If you're also going to buy a mic, i would recommend a Rode Videomic, excellent microphone and fairly cheap, i just bought one a few weeks ago from Thomann.de for €115 all together with postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

roguey wrote: »
    Whats you're budget??

Going with no info on the budget, i would recommend the Canon HV series, so the HV20, HV30 or HV40. Not much difference between them really, just the age. Used the prices range form about €400 for the HV20 to about €700 or so for the HV40.

I couldn't recommend them more, i've had a HV20 for over a year now and love it, great quality, and not too difficult to use. It also has an external mic attachment, which slots into the shoes on top and plugs into the jack on the side, a 3.5mm jack in this case. If you're also going to buy a mic, i would recommend a Rode Videomic, excellent microphone and fairly cheap, i just bought one a few weeks ago from Thomann.de for €115 all together with postage.

Well I was hoping for less than €1000 budget wise. That Canon HV40 sounds perfect with that mic. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Two more questions if anyone can assist.

What software do people recommend for video editing. We're talking something that can be used by fairly inexperienced people to make basic edits to a video.

And any site that you specifically recommend for buying that Canon HV40?

Advertisement