Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Christmas Hamper

Options
  • 11-10-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I have decided to get a hamper done up for a neighbour of mine this Christmas - I am putting some drinks and chocolate into it - however has anybody else got any good suggestions to fill the hamper - I don't really want candles (so common now) or smelly soaps - something funky, practical and usable would be great - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Why dont you do a foodie hamper? Include some nice cheeses and meats, pates, sauces etc, fancy crackers, dressings, oils and vinegars. Or whatever you have to hand.

I made these for my aunt and godmother last year and they loved it because it meant they had something for when they didnt feel like cooking over xmas hols, or when ppl dropped by unannounced etc. Also, youll find that some people wont buy these nice yummy things for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Suggestions (1) Don't include booze...they may not like that brand/spirit/wine etc or there could be a hidden issue of alcohol dependency by any member of the household
    (2) Check that there are'nt allergies to chocolate/dairy... possibly include dairy-free options instead
    (3) Include batteries....odd I know, but you ALWAYS run out....even if its just for the remote control/smoke alarm !!!
    (4) Lotto ticket maybe?
    (5) Music CD if you know what they like?
    (6) Small potted plant...fresh flowers die too easily

Hope any of this helps........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

thanks so much guys

I know them quite well so I know the bottle of booze will go down well - the chocolates will do the kids. I am liking the idea of the CD's. I don't really want to put any more food into the basket as usually houses are over-run with food, but your post has given me a great idea for maybe some "home-made flavoured olive oils", i.e. lemon, chili. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

am hijacking your thread... but it gave me a great idea for my sisters kids pressie

She has 4 kids ages 13, 10, 7 & 2. the 10yr old is a girl the rest are boys.
    I just cant afford individual presents this year.. I usually end up spending about 30-40 euro each on them.. so definitely want to spend less than that

I was thinking of doing a hamper of bits & bobs for them, heres what i was thinking:

- Compilation CD
    - Coloring books & markers
    - Sweets
    - Christmas Crackers
    - Board Game
    - Jigsaw

I am concerned that I dont really have anything for the 2yr old there..
    Do you think that its a good idea? Or have ye any better ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Pick up a couple of childrens books from your local charity shop! Wont cost you more than 5euros and ts a great present for little people! (im on a crusade to get kids reading again). Also, will calm the little ones down before bedtime?

Initially I meant only for the two yr old but I suppose you could find something for each of them. Also what about Bubbles? My cousin 2.5yrs, got them in a Santa gift bag last yr and I swear everything else was wasted on him!

• Advertisement

Pick up a couple of childrens books from your local charity shop! Wont cost you more than 5euros and ts a great present for little people! (im on a crusade to get kids reading again). Also, will calm the little ones down before bedtime?

Initially I meant only for the two yr old but I suppose you could find something for each of them. Also what about Bubbles? My cousin 2.5yrs, got them in a Santa gift bag last yr and I swear everything else was wasted on him!

Great idea about the bubbles and books thanks

Casey_81 wrote: »
    am hijacking your thread... but it gave me a great idea for my sisters kids pressie

She has 4 kids ages 13, 10, 7 & 2. the 10yr old is a girl the rest are boys.
    I just cant afford individual presents this year.. I usually end up spending about 30-40 euro each on them.. so definitely want to spend less than that

I was thinking of doing a hamper of bits & bobs for them, heres what i was thinking:

- Compilation CD
    - Coloring books & markers
    - Sweets
    - Christmas Crackers
    - Board Game
    - Jigsaw

I am concerned that I dont really have anything for the 2yr old there..
    Do you think that its a good idea? Or have ye any better ideas?

ya its a great idea - its a "one for all" present that they will all enjoy - I was only looking at monopoly and other board games at the weekend and they are pretty cheap. Things like that are great family presents - it is getting quite expensive now to purchase individually and a "hamper" per household is a great idea. Another tip - Dunnes have great value on the "thornton" family boxes of chocolates - they look great and the deal is half off. Would look great in a hamper.

also they have great baskets in dunnes - okay they are in the household department - they are white rectangular wickar with lining inside - but you could put the pressies wrapped in silver and gold paper and then put a big red bow around it with some cellophane - make it look really christmassy.

great idea thanks

saw this thread yesterday & got one of these and put it in too
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056059816

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

wreathe, xmas biccies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

also they have great baskets in dunnes - okay they are in the household department - they are white rectangular wickar with lining inside - but you could put the pressies wrapped in silver and gold paper and then put a big red bow around it with some cellophane - make it look really christmassy.
    where do you get cellophane?

I'm hoping to make up a couple of hampers this year too:)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Moving to Gifts forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I made a big hamper for my OHs folks 2 years ago and one of the non-food items i popped in was a fridge magnet!! Well it was actually just a symbol of one of those Oxfam gifts. you can see them here http://www.oxfamirelandunwrapped.com/ and they loved it.

Also how about tix to a show? maybe one on in the National Concery Hall?

And you get that cellophane stuff in a florists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

giddybootz wrote: »

And you get that cellophane stuff in a florists!

And when you have covered the hamper use hairdryer to get that nice crinkly look:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

have done this a few times for the inlaws as some still live at home ( the KK idea was shot down a few times so went with this option instead!)

over the various ones I have done in the past this is what I have put in them:

sweets(have seen in Tesco's this year mini boxes of the Celebration sweets)
    mini christmas puddings & mince pies
    christmas tea light holders
    bottle of wine or sherry or baileys
    cheese and the biscuits
    shortbread biscuits
    a christmas decoration
    festive napkin rings

have found in the past that aldi & lidl do lots of different little things which are great for a hamper, more so Aldi. hope this helps :)

if there is any craft fair or country market located near you, you might pick up some other little items like Jam's or that which are good for them as well!

Advertisement