Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques about Fingal Affordable Housing

Options
  • 11-10-2010 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I have been recently looking into the Affordable Housing for Fingal but the website doesn't appear clear on a few things.
    There is a list of properties on the site that are available for affordable housing but is this all that is available or are there others that you may be offered?
    Also, on the application form is has a section where you have to include your access to "additional funds should you be offered a property". What is this? Is this the deposit for the bank or is this separate?
    Sorry for the ignorance but I don't know anyone who has been through the process so am fairly clueless.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would suggest the best way to get this type of information is to contact the Council directly - 01 890 5000 or info@fingalcoco.ie

I am sure they can put you in touch with the relevant expert within the Department who can guide you through the process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

TBH at the moment, you might be better off looking at private - mainly because AH houses are usually over valued (this has been proven to be the case many times) and therefore the "discount" you are getting is inflated. If a bank is prepared to give you a mortgage anyway, you will probably be able to find a private house in the same price range as the AH ones and you won't be then in a contract with Fingal, you can sell if and when you want, you could rent it, and if you ever do sell at a profit (anytime in the next millenium perhaps) you don't have to give a percentage of that profit back to the council.

I bought an AH house a good while ago - at the time the coucil themselves gave the mortgage, so it was ideal for me as the banks were either not lending me enough, or were encouraging me to go for 100% mortgage. Prices were high, and the deal I got was good and it did help me to get started.

Having said that, I would not now buy AH. given prices, and the forecast that they will go down further I would either buy private, or if I did not have the money I would spend a year saving and buy when prices are lower. I bought AH out of necessity, but at the moment it is not the helping hand it used to be.

just something to consider...

Advertisement