Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo and Apps to SD

Options
  • 11-10-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Im really let down by the apps to SD feature that came with Froyo. Currently i have 60-70 apps on my phone and of those only 7 of them are on my 32gb sd card. Seems like such a waste of space and i am fed up of having to delete apps constantly.
    I almost feel cheated by froyo as i assumed i would be able to transfer ALL my apps to the SD card. The upcoming Desire HD still only comes with like a GB and a half of phone storage which IMO is still not good enough.

I really love android and my desire but this limitation is really pushing me towards an iphone. It may not be androids fault as its up to the developers to have an Apps2SD in their apps but good developers make a phone and right now they are being lazy.

Drives me nuts!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

I completely agree. It drives my crazy. Its silly having two different memory systems namely phone storage and sd card storage. It should just be like the iphone with a unified memory system.

I cant understand how every app does not have a move to sd option. The developers new this function was coming with froyo yet has you said the apps that can be moved to sd are very very limited. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Google have done their bit, enabling SD installation....

Wonder is it that developers don't want to risk performance issues with their apps by allowing installation to "slower" storage...that'll get em bad reviews...less purchases...etc..etc..

I'm using the other A2SD+, pretty much everything is forced to the SD. Only time i see any impact, is music will stutter slightly when my RSS feeds are updating...only a couple of seconds though...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

It is infuriating .... I spend more time 'managing memory' on my phone than any single other thing. 'Managing memory' is how I waste my battery.

The internal memory is shocking on all Android devices and at the moment the external memory is really only useful for photo's and music.

And Google haven't done their bit very well as a lot of their app's can't even be stored on the SD card. Google Earth, Goggles and Skymap are the only ones I've downloaded that can be moved. What about Google Maps, Voice Search, Street View, Listen - even Gmail, the stock browser, other stock software and the Market itself should all be moveable to the SD card. Maybe there's a technical reason preventing this but I doubt it because if Google Earth and the other non stock browsers work smoothly from the SD card (which they do), then surely the other stuff should too. If not then why aren't Google insisting that device makers increase the size of the internal memory. It is without doubt Androids biggest flaw in my opinion.

I think that apps that CAN be stored on SD cards should be promoted and shared, here's mine, please add to this list ......
    • Abduction
    • Air Control Lite
    • Angry Birds
    • Barcode Scanner
    • Basketball Shot
    • Call Meter NG
    • Camcard
    • Chess
    • Classic Simon Free
    • ConvertPad
    • Deezer
    • Document Scanner: Beta
    • Dolphin Browser HD
    • Earth
    • Flikie Wallpapers HD
    • Goggles
    • Google Sky Map
    • Jewels
    • Layar
    • Mazeoid
    • ONN
    • Opera Mini
    • Paper Toss
    • PicSay
    • Pocket Racing
    • PrinterShare
    • Toss It
    • Trap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Here's what I have on my SD (that you haven't in your list)

AppBrain App Market
    EStrongs File Explorer
    FourSquare
    Instant Heart Rate
    JetVD
    KeePassDroid
    MortPlayer Audio Book Player
    MortPlayer Music Player
    RockPlayer
    Talking Tom
    Ted
    Voice Recorder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Gryzor wrote: »

I'm using the other A2SD+,

Where do i find this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Root, and install a custom ROM that has it built in is the eaiest way...I use Leedroid, find it very stable....

Advertisement