Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital channels ?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Apols if this was answered before....

Have a Sony KDL that I bought about 2 years ago. When I first set it up and was exploring (like you do;)) there was a setting for Analogue where I selected to get tuned for my RTEs and Sky box etc….There was also a Digital option which displayed nothing and when I tuned on it, it found nothing either….

Anyways, having recently moved house I have had someone in to set SKY up again (plus a non Sky box also if it matters) and so was playing around with the TV again last night….

Anyway, now when I go into the Digital option thru the Sony remote, I can see a listing of about 12 to 14 channels (TV & Radio I think) that all (at 1st glance) appear to be RTE type channels…..When I select one (say RTE 1) from the list I can get audio from what is a TV program on RTE 1, but no picture and same with couple of others I tried…..

Anyway tell me what this is…? Is it RTE digital service and is it live or trial? Why can I not see a picture?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

The reason for getting the audio but no picture is that the tuner in your TV is an MPEG 2 digital tuner which is the UK standard.

However, RTE's digital service will be broadcast in MPEG 4 standard. They are not compatible so you will never be able to see the picture unless you get a set top decoder!

I have a similar problem with a Sony Bravia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hey scout353,

thanks for the reply and that explains it alright...
    I already have a Sky +HD box and another one for FTA channels so I have the big 4 (RTE 1 & 2, TV3 & TG4) so I presume i am not missing out on anything really...???

Are the boxes dear as a matter of interest and how would you connect them?
    Box to TV and Box to...??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

You plug your aerial into the box and then box to TV. You can get this box in Powercity for €100. However there will be more boxes out in the next year or so and this should drive the prices of the boxes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Hey scout353,

thanks for the reply and that explains it alright...
    I already have a Sky +HD box and another one for FTA channels so I have the big 4 (RTE 1 & 2, TV3 & TG4) so I presume i am not missing out on anything really...???

Are the boxes dear as a matter of interest and how would you connect them?
    Box to TV and Box to...??

thanks

Absolutely correct - at the moment the test transmissions for RTE Digital include only the RTE Channels - RTE 1 RTE 2, TG4 as well as a host of digital radio channels all from RTE.

Spending more money on a set top box to get these channels is wasted IMO!

Advertisement