Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone on here offer advice on a Spektrum DX6i and AR6200 receiver

Options
  • 11-10-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I can't get the rx to go into the binding process. When I install the bind plug and connect up the battery, the rx should start flashing orange but instead it glows steady orange. When I pull the trainer switch on the tx and turn it on, the bind process should initiate but nothing happens. Any ideas??? I've tried this with two separate tx, i.e. a DX5 and a DX6i.

The DX6i itself is also acting up. I programmed my Radian and Supercub in last night and all seemed well. However while testing the Cub today, when I gave it right rudder, it would hold this for 2 seconds and then flip itself to left rudder and up elevator! Any ideas why the DX6i has developed a mind of its own????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I can't get the rx to go into the binding process. When I install the bind plug and connect up the battery, the rx should start flashing orange but instead it glows steady orange. When I pull the trainer switch on the tx and turn it on, the bind process should initiate but nothing happens. Any ideas??? I've tried this with two separate tx, i.e. a DX5 and a DX6i.

The DX6i itself is also acting up. I programmed my Radian and Supercub in last night and all seemed well. However while testing the Cub today, when I gave it right rudder, it would hold this for 2 seconds and then flip itself to left rudder and up elevator! Any ideas why the DX6i has developed a mind of its own????

The bind plug needs to be put into the battery socket on the receiver. It probably tells you to use the switch harness as this will connect the battery and the bind plug to the battery socket on receiver at the same time.

But what i usually do is plug the bind plug straight into the battery socket on receiver, then plug the battery into any other socket where the servo`s go while observing the polarity written on the receiver, the + and - are common along all the sockets, so plugging the battery into any socket will power the receiver.
    Do this with the radio transmitter off, so the receiver lights should be flashing when you connect the battery. Position sticks in the position you want the controls to be if the aircraft lost connection to receiver. Then hold in the bind button while turning on the receiver.

If that does`t work there must be something wrong, although sometimes it takes one or two go`s to get it to work.

Did you do a propper range check before flying after binding to the Cub, i have not seen this type of thing happening with the dx7, or dx6i a friend has, and 2 dx5`s we have also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Don't know if I follow you Robbie.

There is a batt/bind port on all my receivers into which I place the bind plug. I then connect a charged battery and the rx should start to flash. Pull the trainer switch on the tx and then turn it on and the rx should bind within 30 seconds, or so it has for me in the past with my Cub and Radian using the DX5.

The new rx - AR6200 - glows a staedy orange when the bind plug and battery are connected up when it should be flashing. The DX6i was making the Cub do some strange things with its control surfaces :eek:, while the DX5 worked perfectly.

I contacted Squadron Leader in the UK (where I bought them) about this and they said to send both the DX6 and the AR6200 back for a replacement as "even if I did find out the problem, I wouldn't have any confidence in them" - very true!

I've checked on google and this seems to be a common enough complaint with some batches of AR6200's. Can't understand the DX6i behaving erratically either though.:confused:

Don't know if I follow you Robbie.

There is a batt/bind port on all my receivers into which I place the bind plug. I then connect a charged battery and the rx should start to flash. Pull the trainer switch on the tx and then turn it on and the rx should bind within 30 seconds, or so it has for me in the past with my Cub and Radian using the DX5.

The new rx - AR6200 - glows a staedy orange when the bind plug and battery are connected up when it should be flashing. The DX6i was making the Cub do some strange things with its control surfaces :eek:, while the DX5 worked perfectly.

I contacted Squadron Leader in the UK (where I bought them) about this and they said to send both the DX6 and the AR6200 back for a replacement as "even if I did find out the problem, I wouldn't have any confidence in them" - very true!

I've checked on google and this seems to be a common enough complaint with some batches of AR6200's. Can't understand the DX6i behaving erratically either though.:confused:

When you plugged in the bind plug, you plugged straight into the battery/data port?
    Thats fine, where did you then plug the battery, make sure you observe the correct polarity of battery, the negative of battery is out toward the edge of the receiver as you plug it in, the battery can be plugged into any servo channel position.

It can be done 2 ways is what i was saying in earlier post, using the switch harness if there was one with radio which has a y setup, or bind plug directly into battery/data port, and battery then into any of the servo ports which is the way i do it. Make sure the bind plug is in before you connect battery.

Since you have already done it a lot of times with radian and cub then maybe it is a radio problem, but i have had some problems binding the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

where did you then plug the battery, make sure you observe the correct polarity of battery, the negative of battery is out toward the edge of the receiver as you plug it in, the battery can be plugged into any servo channel position.

I would think he has the polarity correct as he mentions he gets a light from Rx.

I would also do as Robbie suggests and use a switch harness or a Y-lead with battery port and bind plug. Any binding issues I have had in the past were sorted out using a y-lead. Also make sure there is apt power in battery.

• Advertisement

syl77 wrote: »
    I would think he has the polarity correct as he mentions he gets a light from Rx.

I would also do as Robbie suggests and use a switch harness or a Y-lead with battery port and bind plug. Any binding issues I have had in the past were sorted out using a y-lead. Also make sure there is apt power in battery.

A light will probably come from the RX even with wrong polarity as technically the polarity is not wrong, the positive is into the centre pin and still is when plug is in the wrong way, its just the negative is swapped from the negative terminal over to the signal terminal.

The bind plug is only shorting the negative of battery port to the data pin, and this needs to be done then the battery connected to the battery terminals so thats where a harness comes in, but plugging the bind plug direct into the battery/data port and the battery to any servo port works just as well as the + and - are both a solid link right along all ports, only the signal/data pins are seperate in each port.

The battery not having adequate charge has caught me out before, i had a faulty battery with the receiver before when new. From what has been said and the amount of times he has binded his other planes its probably a faulty receiver or tx. Did you try binding the new ar6200 onto the DX5e and see does that work? That would show if the ar6200 is ok, although it should flash once bind plug is in and then battery is connected.

I have often had to make several attempts to bind anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Update:-

I took the AR500 receiver out of my Radian and inserted it into the Trojan. Again, it was dead as a dodo. However as I knew the AR500 was working, this set me thinking. I then reversed the connectors (throttle, rudder, elevator, ailerons) 180 degrees and reinserted them into the AR500 rx. I then connected the battery and hey presto, the motor beeped 3 times and the servos twitched. Simple when you know how :rolleyes:. I would have thought that these connectors would have been installed correctly in the factory in this "ready to fly" bird.:mad:

I then put the AR6200rx back into the Trojan and connected the leads up in the correct alignment and it worked and binded in the normal way to my DX5.

I flew the Trojan for the first time this morning a little hesitantly due to my problems to date with the rx and with the gloomy dull overcast morning here in Dublin where the Trojan's dull grey paint scheme blended a little too well into the cloud cover. This caused me a lot of disorientation as I kept losing track of which way teh plane was facing. Throw in the fact that it is my first aileron bird and therefore a lot more responsive than my Radian and Supercub, this led to some "interesting" moments when I would discover that the plane was flying inverted following too much use of the ailerons.

I flew the Trojan for the first time this morning a little hesitantly due to my problems to date with the rx and with the gloomy dull overcast morning here in Dublin where the Trojan's dull grey paint scheme blended a little too well into the cloud cover. This caused me a lot of disorientation as I kept losing track of which way teh plane was facing. Throw in the fact that it is my first aileron bird and therefore a lot more responsive than my Radian and Supercub, this led to some "interesting" moments when I would discover that the plane was flying inverted following too much use of the ailerons.

Orientation is easy to lose on any plane that is relatively quick, its something that needs concentration so you know what orientation the plane is in by what way your turning etc contrary to what way it can appear, but its easy to get confused. Thats the one thing thats harder with the helis, at least the planes normally have the moving forward reference for entire flight and the big fixed wings. I was flying a mikrokopter for a while for someone and that had the worst orientation problems of anything i ever flew. It is the same shape from every direction, the forward arm was red and had led`s on it, but was still tricky to see orientation at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

I was flying a mikrokopter for a while for someone and that had the worst orientation problems of anything i ever flew. It is the same shape from every direction, the forward arm was red and had led`s on it, but was still tricky to see orientation at times.

Yes, flew a mikrokopter also where the forward arm had LED's on it. I dont know why they made it the forward arm as it would make more sense I thought for it to act as a boom. It had a GPS unit on it so the return to home switch worked a treat when you lost orientation.

syl77 wrote: »
    Yes, flew a mikrokopter also where the forward arm had LED's on it. I dont know why they made it the forward arm as it would make more sense I thought for it to act as a boom. It had a GPS unit on it so the return to home switch worked a treat when you lost orientation.

Yes so had this one, but in some areas the navigation seemed to get upset easy enough, its gps and knowing which direction is which depends on the magnetic sensor on it, our one seemed to have a problematic one. We used it for photos and video, but i then built a 3 axis mount for the t-rex 600 which gave us a lot smoother results, miles better in fact. Other lad had a second radio so he could point the camera anywhere and had a live view while i flew the heli.

When the mikrokopter navigation did work properly it did work well, but i did`t really like flying it that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Temp29

Kashkai wrote: »

I have had the exact same problem. Tried everything!
    But, when i changed my battery to a 14 volt during binding it worked.
    When I then after put it back on the 11 volt system it all worked as it should

Advertisement