Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(US) Dexter Season 5 Episode 3 - "Practically Perfect" (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Options
  • 10-10-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

2 hours 'til it airs.

From wikipedia:
    Dexter finds himself in a strange new world when he attempts to hire a nanny for Harrison so he can continue to stalk and kill his next victim. Meanwhile, Debra, who takes the lead on a bizarre double homicide, is displeased when Batista suggests bringing in an annoying rookie officer who has her own theories on the case. Things heat up for Dexter when Quinn notices strange similarities between Trinity Killer suspect 'Kyle Butler' and Dexter Morgan.

Included a poll this week.

What did you think of Dexter 5x03 "Practically Perfect"? 55 votes

Fantastic
    0%
    Good
    27%
    Our man in HavanaBacchusoklaBasqAuversstrobeMadPatrickAmtmannDr. Baltar2smiggyapope8jayteecorkRich1691FunkZShlippery 15 votes
    Average
    63%
    Stark[Deleted User]TzetzeCianan2[Deleted User]antodSnake PliskenSherifuJ-blk[Deleted User]tvnutzevil_seedTristramThe GnomemissingtimePeyton Manningbudhabobrebel.ranterclaivaDavyD_83 35 votes
    Not great
    3%
    Karl HungusFearDark 2 votes
    Awful
    5%
    EKRIUQpwdzimovain 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

ugh i was wondering why i couldn't download it. forgot about timezones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Good
    Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Average
    It was quite good but next week looks much better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

Seems to be picking up the pace a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭shano_88

Average
    Looking forward to next week especially the Quin/trinity killer saga.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Awful
    Giant MEH. Next week however it looks very interesting.

Good
    zimovain wrote: »
    Giant MEH. Next week however it looks very interesting.

Did you watch the trailer for "Practically Perfect" before watching the episode? I've a theory that you are ruining the episode for yourself if you do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Average
    I really enjoyed the episode.

I felt it was getting back to classic Dexter. I didn't see the tranqulizer dart coming, I thought that was a good twist, although, I felt they allowed Dex to escape from it far too easily. I would have preferred to see him sweat a bit more.

I think there is going to be more to the head chopping off case, than just some satanic cult.

Also, did anyone else notice what that dude said just before Dex offed him. It was something like "You don't know what you're getting yourself in for!". I wonder what he meant? Is he part of a bigger storyline?

I can't wait for next weeks episode when Quinn shows them the pic of Dexter. I can't see anyway out of that one for Dex, unless something **** happens like Trinity's son says that its not him.

I don't know what to make of the new nanny. I hope to God that they don't try and set her and Dex up together, that would be ****. I hope she has an interesting backstory.

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying this series a lot. I don't think I've enjoyed the start of a series this much since S2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Awful
    Furet wrote: »
    Did you watch the trailer for "Practically Perfect" before watching the episode? I've a theory that you are ruining the episode for yourself if you do that.
    You might be right. The preview emphasised
    Quinn investigating Dexter/Kyle.
    I was looking forward to seeing what happened there. As it turned out, I don't think anything happened there that wasn't shown in the preview, so I was disappointed.
    I looked up additional previews on the SHO website, which spoilt the bit where
    he gets shot. When you find out it is a tranquilizer gun, it is anticlimatic, after waiting a week to see it without knowing that

The main plot threads are promising, but are moving pretty slowly imo, and the subplots are not interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

I can't figure out where the Kyle Butler thing is headed! I mean, Quinn must figure out Dex is a serial killer from it. I'd say Deb is getting kidnapped by these satanic lads, maybe Dex and Quinn having to work together to save her, right at the moment Quinn figures what Dex is and confronts him.

Potential spoiler,
    Is this definitely the final season? I remember reading somewhere that they were only making five, this was a few years ago now though.

• Advertisement

Good
    pwd wrote: »
    You might be right. The preview emphasised
    Quinn investigating Dexter/Kyle.
    I was looking forward to seeing what happened there. As it turned out, I don't think anything happened there that wasn't shown in the preview, so I was disappointed.
    I looked up additional previews on the SHO website, which spoilt the bit where
    he gets shot. When you find out it is a tranquilizer gun, it is anticlimatic, after waiting a week to see it without knowing that

The main plot threads are promising, but are moving pretty slowly imo, and the subplots are not interesting.

Good examples. I didn't watch the previews and both those scenes were unexpected and exciting in my view. I can totally see how they wouldn't be if I'd watched the previews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good
    Quinn is going to end up on a slab me thinks.

Good
    Haddockman wrote: »
    Quinn is going to end up on a slab me thinks.

Quinn is being way more subtle than Doakes was, and he might get farther.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good
    Cracking episode.. very very strong start to the season.

Shame to see the end of Shawn Hatosy though.. always thought he was a cracking actor. And Julia Stiles was practically unrecognisable at the end.

Love the simultaneous knockout's! ;)

Here's hoping this standard continues.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Good
    Great episode.

Anyone notice the homage to the evil nanny's interview in The Omen in Maria Doyle Kennedy's interview?

She had the exact same accent and demeanor.

Thought Dexter got real sloppy needling Boyd the first time - since when did Dex ever let go of someone after sticking a syringe in there neck?Guess the writers covered themselves with Harry's speech about getting too excited about the kill and getting careless.

Guess Dexter finds out she's some sort of twisted psycho traveling from place to place murdering infants.

Lmao it's just Dexter's luck. His wife is brutally killed, someone spots him murdering someone, then he finds out his nanny is a another looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Average
    I'm trying to figure something out here, so I'll put spoiler tags on it just in case. Tis regarding Quinn and Rita's death.
    Do you think that the Trinity killer really was Rita's killer? Is it actually possible that it was Dexter, or quite possibly the neighbour fella? I mean why does he keep popping back up!

The reason I mention Dexter in the same breath is that when he rang 911 and we hear the call, how did he know about where she had been cut and how precise it was? He couldnt see into the bath as it was full of blood, he would've had to go feeling around....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Average
    Really enjoyed that as it's Dexter at its best for me - slowly building things up. Very happy with the start to the season so far. Hopefully it continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Average
    Cianan2 wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure something out here, so I'll put spoiler tags on it just in case. Tis regarding Quinn and Rita's death.
    Do you think that the Trinity killer really was Rita's killer? Is it actually possible that it was Dexter, or quite possibly the neighbour fella? I mean why does he keep popping back up!

The reason I mention Dexter in the same breath is that when he rang 911 and we hear the call, how did he know about where she had been cut and how precise it was? He couldnt see into the bath as it was full of blood, he would've had to go feeling around....

When he calls 911 he describes the MO for a trinity bath killing exactly because he is certain that it was him. It also explains the trinity killers behavior when killed by Dexter, like he has something on dexter in spite of what is about to happen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Good
    I really enjoyed this episode.
    Absolutely loved the "I don't usually get messages on my fridge...." (only from other serial killers) line.

Next week is going to be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Average
    Cianan2 wrote: »

He knew the exact information because
    that is how Trinity always killed women in the bathtub (though it was usually a younger single woman as part of his cycle, married women were killed pushed off a high place instead). I don't think there should be any doubt at this stage that it was Trinity, that has been made abundantly clear

Anyway, this was a great episode, didn't expect to see the kill happen in this episode after Dexter's mark evaded him the first time around, thought they would draw this out a bit more but glad they didn't - cracking ending. Usually the pace does not pick up like this until the mid-season point so things are looking good, but hopefully they will be able to keep the momentum going right to the end.

As for Quinn, it looks inevitable that he will find out the truth, but unlike Doakes, who would definitely make sure Dexter faced punishment for his crimes, I'm not sure that is his agenda. Perhaps he will use the information for his own gain somehow, rather than turning him in - remember, Quinn was introduced as a dirty cop pretty much, putting himself above everything and everyone. This could also be the real reason why he does not want to reveal any info to the FBI, rather keeping it for himself.

Really looking forward to next week now, looks promising indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Average
    Enjoyed the episode and things starting to get moving. It was a nice twist when Dex was shot with the tranq dart.

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Average
    They will definitely do something different with Quinn than they did with Doakes. A lot of people grew to like Doakes and were kind of disappointed that they killed him off.
    I'm thinking Quinn finds out, uses the info to get closer to Deb somehow and then confronts Dex with it.
    I don't think Quinn is interested in "Catching the bad guy" as such. He may even respect Dex when he learns the type of people Dex likes to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Good
    The episode was great,
    purely for the woman escaping at the end
    . I can't wait to see where that leads to, it's going to be intense.

And there is going to be a huge part
    played by the nanny
    . I can't wait! I really wish I could just watch the whole season on DVD in two days like I did with teh first two seasons :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Awful
    I reckon
    Quinn will find out Dexter. Dexter will imprison him in a hut somewhere remote. He'll get into a relationship with the nanny. As the series progresses Quinn will be revealed to have a bit of a dark side himself, while the nanny will be revealed to be a total looney. Dexter will face a quandary about what to do with Quinn, until the nanny murders him, to help Dexter, who will be unhappy about this.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Good
    pwd wrote: »
    I reckon
    Quinn will find out Dexter. Dexter will imprison him in a hut somewhere remote. He'll get into a relationship with the nanny. As the series progresses Quinn will be revealed to have a bit of a dark side himself, while the nanny will be revealed to be a total looney. Dexter will face a quandary about what to do with Quinn, until the nanny murders him, to help Dexter, who will be unhappy about this.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Average
    Good episode I still miss Rita and the Kids, found it a bit non-Dexter style to find a serial killer and rather then get to know him over the series he kills him on the second attempt, maybe he wanted to do that because a serial killer took his wife so he wanted to kill another serial to make him feel a bit better, but he doesn't feel anything after killing him. I reckon that Trinity's son won't rat out Dexter when he sees the picture he knows that Dexter freed him and his family of his father, and he might have an idea that Dexter is a serial killer, so I think he will say he isn't the guy that Quinn is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Average
    jayteecork wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

?
    Sounds plausible to me....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Great episode.

It seems to me that the logical conclusion that Quinn would draw about Dexter would not be that he is a serial killer who was hanging out with Trinity for life advice. Instead it would be that he was a jealous husband that wanted Rita dead, so he enlisted Trinity to do it for him and helped him escape the police hunt.

Average
    claiva wrote: »
    ?
    Sounds plausible to me....
    Indeed, although it might just have been done already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

Good
    Really enjoyed this epsiode.
    I thought the scene with Dexter and your man in the ambulance was brilliant.
    Nice slow start to the series but getting really going now.
    It almost makes me look forward to Mondays ;)

Advertisement