Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hiring a caravan

Options
  • 10-10-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of buying a caravan and would like to hir one next year for a holiday around Dorset in southwest England to see if it suits our lifestyle.
    What sort of money would we expect to pay for one for a week?
    We live in Limerick.
    We hired a campervan last month (€950 for the week) and toured around Cornwall for a week but decided they were prohibitively expensive to consider buying one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Did you hire the camper here and pay for the ferry its much cheaper to fly ryanair and rent a campervan there.

A very quick google says you can get a caravan for about 250 per week in dorset off peak or 350 on peak. Makes much more sense than actually towing one all the way there and back and paying for the ferry.

You can even rent (in dorset) a hilux crewcab with a hitch for 42 pounds per day so if you can fly cheaply to bournemouth or somewhere that might make sense. If your not used to towing I'd borrow a trailer before you go and practice reversing in a car park somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

we brought a three month old baby and all his paraphenalia along with two terriers.
    it worked out an expensive holiday (€950 for the camper and €450 for the ferry but we've no regrets as it made up our mind as regards the camper.
    i do a bit of part time farming so i'm used to towing a trailer.
    we'd like to hire a caravan here as this gives you the most accurate impression as regards whether to buy one or not.
    paddyp wrote: »
    Did you hire the camper here and pay for the ferry its much cheaper to fly ryanair and rent a campervan there.

A very quick google says you can get a caravan for about 250 per week in dorset off peak or 350 on peak. Makes much more sense than actually towing one all the way there and back and paying for the ferry.

You can even rent (in dorset) a hilux crewcab with a hitch for 42 pounds per day so if you can fly cheaply to bournemouth or somewhere that might make sense. If your not used to towing I'd borrow a trailer before you go and practice reversing in a car park somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

If you buy a caravan consider bringing it with you. We went from Dublin to Kent stopping off at Alton Towers with our one. The motorway system is easy to use.

The only thing I'd advise against is bringing it to England without having several outings under your belt here first.

Ps ask online for tips before you settle on a purchase. Its free advice and could save you a fortune. two quick ones would be 1. watch out for cracked windows in a caravan. They cost a fortune to buy. 2. check for a spare wheel, also can be extremely expensive, ask any Hobby owner:) The list goes on and on..

Advertisement