Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08' Octavia Burning Clutch?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi All,

Was driving up a steep-ish hill this evening in my 08' Octavia - 1.9Tdi. I noticed as I got to the top, the car smelled like burning clutch, I have never smelled anything like this before. The car is driving fine... just wondering if it could have caused any damage??

Thanks,
    Conor.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

conorb101 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Was driving up a steep-ish hill this evening in my 08' Octavia - 1.9Tdi. I noticed as I got to the top, the car smelled like burning clutch, I have never smelled anything like this before. The car is driving fine... just wondering if it could have caused any damage??

Thanks,
    Conor.

The clutch could be on the way out, as it sounds like it's slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do you use the clutch pedal as a foot rest?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 conorb101

mickdw wrote: »
    Do you use the clutch pedal as a foot rest?:D

I doe alright! That's what it is... just wondering if it has damaged the clutch, I've never smelled it burning before??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I doe alright! That's what it is... just wondering if it has damaged the clutch, I've never smelled it burning before??

I presume you're joking!

The clutch will wear down over time, it's not gone yet, but it sounds like it's on it's way. Try accelerating hard from a stop and see if the engine revs excessively when accelerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I presume you're joking!

The clutch will wear down over time, it's not gone yet, but it sounds like it's on it's way. Try accelerating hard from a stop and see if the engine revs excessively when accelerating.

It's most likely to slip in third gear, if it's going to slip

• Advertisement

I presume you're joking!

Unfortunately not.. :mad: I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and sure we'll see what happens... if it slips i guess I'll be off to the garage tomorrow afternoon!

Unfortunately not.. :mad: I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and sure we'll see what happens... if it slips i guess I'll be off to the garage tomorrow afternoon!

Quick question...Was your foot resting on the clutch when you were going up the hill?

If it is damaged... any idea of the price for a new clutch including labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was kinda joking when I asked but seeing as you say you do rest on the clutch when driving, I would say stop doing that and the burning might go away if you still have enough clutch left.

New clutch is not so expensive but if you required (due to wear) or are advised to fit new flywheel with it, it is scary money.

Quick question...Was your foot resting on the clutch when you were going up the hill?

Yes it was.. although this is the first time I have ever smelled burning..

• Advertisement

Yes it was.. although this is the first time I have ever smelled burning..

It's a terrible and expensive habit! First things first, do not rest your foot on the clutch, when you're driving your left foot should be on the floor, or foot rest.

I know... just been out for a spin! Everything seems okay accelerating is fine in 3rd no excessive revving.. no smell of burning.. looks like it will be okay... I need to sort out resting my foot on the clutch though!! :D Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It will slip equally in all gears. Its most noticable, when u let the clutch out in a higher gear.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Chances are the clutch isn't gone..For those ever been to the galway races..There's a massive hill going into the racecourse..About half the cars had terrible smell of burning clutchs..Doubt everyone burnt out there clutches together :)

Also not trying to be a smartar*se,but how do you know it's the clutch burning if you never smelled it before?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Avns1s wrote: »
    It will slip equally in all gears. Its most noticable, when u let the clutch out in a higher gear.

Most torque will typically be transferred in third. Any clutch I've ever seen starting to slip done it in third first. As it gets worse it will slip in other gears too

Advertisement