Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky

Options
  • 10-10-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anybody has advice or has experienced anything similar to me.. at the time of writing this I'm waiting for a call back from Sky "within the hour" so I decided to start this thread to see if anyone else went throught this or something similar, and whats the best way to go about resolving this dispute.

Heres the story..I rang Sky on the *15th of May to cancel my Multiroom and downgrade my package from Sky World to a basic package. Towards the end of the call he offered me either SS1 or SS2 free for 3 months (for being such a loyal customer),and he was telling me about the pre-season football tournaments that were on Sky Sports etc etc. anyway I choose SS1.

Then on the **11th of July to my surprise all SS (1-4) channels were on, only for me to receive a letter from Sky 2-3 days later stating that I was getting all SS channels(again for being such a loyal customer) free for a further 3 months. I was delighted as it wasn't to be cut of till October **12th and included last weeks Ryder Cup..:D

But I noticed yesterday morning that they had charged me for SS for the last 2 months..:eek: So rang their billing department yesterday, explained my situation and they reckon that I should have cancelled SS if I didn't want it beyond the 3 month free offer,that's their policy, I told them that in the original call (15th of May)the operator never told me I had to cancel and even went as far as to say "have it for 3 months and if you want it again for the new season ring us up" (May not be verbatim) but it definately was the impression I got. So i told them I'd find the July letter and I'll ring them back.

But of course (you guessed it :)) I'm after tearing the house apart and I can't for the life of me find the letter..:mad: I genuinely have every other letter Sky (or anyone else) ever sent me but this one is after disappearing..(just my luck)..well I rang them a while ago explained my situation again, and I'm after getting the same story, should have cancelled etc. etc. So as I said at the start I'm awaiting the callback.Thanks in advance for any replies.

*exact date.
    **approx date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Tell them if it's not sorted out, you're leaving and going to UPC.

That'll get their attention, when we threatened to end our subscription, they bent over backwards to try and keep us with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I agree wiih Blikes. Thats the only way they will listen you. And yes, they are correct in saying you should have rang to cancel after your free 3 months. That has been the case since 1st Aptil 2010.And its in the T & Cs. Notwithstanding that you should still play hardball with them as thats the only way you will get any semblance of satisfaction. And if they do call your bluff, go ahead and cancel.Then get UPC. Despite what you might read in these threads, UPC are just as good as Sky, in their picture quality and packages. I have experience of both and I have to say I am as satisfied with UPC as I was with Sky. For me it was a matter of economics. I am an avid sports fan & I get the sports channels plus multi room at a keener rate from UPC. I can record, pause, replay live content juat like Sky+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They tried a similar stunt with me. Offered me free ESPN for 4 months and then tried to charge me for 3 of them. An email to their email department sorted it. The people on the phones are absolutely useless and very expensive to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got the same letter saying that I'd be getting all Sports channels (I only subscribe to SS1) free for 3 months and it specifically said that at the end of the 3 months, the others will be switched off again unless I call to subscribe to them (which I remember clearly as I recall thinking "well that makes a change - normally you have to call them to cancel"), so you're not imagining things OP.

I'll see if I still have it and scan it for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I got the same letter saying that I'd be getting all Sports channels (I only subscribe to SS1) free for 3 months and it specifically said that at the end of the 3 months, the others will be switched off again unless I call to subscribe to them (which I remember clearly as I recall thinking "well that makes a change - normally you have to call them to cancel"), so you're not imagining things OP.

I'll see if I still have it and scan it for you...

Cheers for all the replies, Kaiser thanks, when i mentioned the letter to them they claimed the only letter sent to me recently, was the one informing me of the recent price hike, as I don't have the letter I really couldn't argue my case and couldn't really quote it but I'm almost certain I remember a line which states (and I would be grateful if you could confirm or deny this)
    "To continue watching these channels after the 3 months please ring 0XXXXXXXXXX" or something to that effect.
    I read that letter twice when I got it and if it had said ANYTHING about ringing to cancel I would have put a reminder on my phone/computer

• Advertisement

JeanClaude wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies, Kaiser thanks, when i mentioned the letter to them they claimed the only letter sent to me recently, was the one informing me of the recent price hike, as I don't have the letter I really couldn't argue my case and couldn't really quote it but I'm almost certain I remember a line which states (and I would be grateful if you could confirm or deny this)
    "To continue watching these channels after the 3 months please ring 0XXXXXXXXXX" or something to that effect.
    I read that letter twice when I got it and if it had said ANYTHING about ringing to cancel I would have put a reminder on my phone/computer

I've had a look but can't find it - think it may have gotten tossed in the bin :(

But you're right - it definitely said that they would turn them off again after the 3 months, unless I/you called to confirm otherwise.

Thinking of dropping right down to the basics myself anyway. I only watch the bigger PL matches and it's not worth the money for those.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've had a look but can't find it - think it may have gotten tossed in the bin :(

But you're right - it definitely said that they would turn them off again after the 3 months, unless I/you called to confirm otherwise.

Thinking of dropping right down to the basics myself anyway. I only watch the bigger PL matches and it's not worth the money for those.

Thanks anyway Kaiser, believe it or not before your post I was just gonna give in and not fight it but your confirmation of the letter and it's content has made me determined to fight it. Hopefully a few more Boardsies got the same letter and just might have it lying around.
    Anyway, I still didn't get a callback, so will have to ring them in the morning looks like I'm in for an interesting phonecall, must get my big book of Legal gargon ready, might fool them into thinking I'm someone intelligent...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The people on the phones are absolutely useless and very expensive to talk to.

Just for you to save a few euro JeanClaude, freephone number for sky is 1800 81 20 40.

Reganovski wrote: »
    Just for you to save a few euro JeanClaude, freephone number for sky is 1800 81 20 40.

Cheers Reganovski, will try that number.

Just got this on another forum..posted the 14th of July...which is around the time I received mine....

Just got a letter from Sky. I pay for SS1, but from now until October 15th I'll be getting the full Sports pack (including HD) at no extra cost. I don't need to ring to activate, or to cancel after the period either (I only need to ring if I want to continue subscribing to the full mix after the date). Chatting with a friend on Facebook, she's had the same letter.

I'm just thinking was this an offer for subscribers of just SS1 or SS2, in the hope some few of them would upgrade to the full SS pack, as I was in the system as only having SS1 at the time, was I sent the letter in error? it looks like they fooked up ....:p.... I am now convinced they are wrong. ;) Looking forward to ringing them in the morning, armed with this information.

Reganovski wrote: »

That No. is long gone for us Irish customers. When you ring that no. you are transferred to the Irish Call Centre in Cork, who, judging from the different opinions of them on these fora, are way worse than the Scottish Call Centre.You also pay the full cost to an 0818 no.

JeanClaude, best of luck tomorrow(today!). Keep this thread updated please.

• Advertisement

That No. is long gone for us Irish customers. When you ring that no. you are transferred to the Irish Call Centre in Cork, who, judging from the different opinions of them on these fora, are way worse than the Scottish Call Centre.You also pay the full cost to an 0818 no.

JeanClaude, best of luck tomorrow(today!). Keep this thread updated please.

Thats who offered me, the SS1 free for 3 months in the first place, :D anytime I rang, over the weekend, I got the Scottish call centre.

Anyway, I'm just after sending them an e-mail and if I don't hear from them by lunchtime, I'll have to ring them.

P.S. here's a link to the the quote, in my last post, for anyone interested.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1297914

Well I called them there myself to downgrade to the basics (Ireland Call Centre) and the agent kept me on hold 7 minutes while he did it. :mad:

No offers or concessions made, but to be honest I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the lot anyway as it's just not worth it these days for as much as we watch anything other than what you'd get on Freesat.

Hello again,
    So I'm after ringing Sky, as I hadn't heard from them either by phone or E-mail. Got through to their billing department,explained my case again, guy on other end was "determined to fix this matter now" but alas they held tough I was wrong and thats it...explained about the letter, no good... yes the letter was sent to me as a Sky Sports 1 subscriber and I will lose SS 2-4 on October 15th if I don't wish to continue subscribing, I needn't ring them, as per the letter.
    But as I didn't cancel the original free offer, I was at the time of receiving the letter and am now, a Sky Sports 1 only subscriber as far they are concerned.
    Now, I understand I should have cancelled the free offer if I didn't want to get charged, as per the new T&C's which came into effect from April, but I genuinely didn't know this and that letter lead me to believe I was getting the SS 1-4 for free till October 15th.
    So in a fit of rage I told him I was cancelling the whole thing, was put on to their cancellation dept, Why are you cancelling? story explained again..:) Response was.. Well, what I can do for you, is give you any package for half price for 6 months..... Not Interested I said.....Look have a think about it I'll leave the offer open for a bit...Bullhead here NO cancel everything please...
    What should I do? keep on to them? Forget it, put it down to experience and for future reference, know that "free offers" come at a price...:D

So I've cancelled everything, have it for another month, problem is UPC have feck all in my Area,(Sky is really the only gig in town) no HD No recording etc.. don't know how long before it gets here. I really should have taken the 1/2 price deal, would I still get it if I rang back? I really should have cooled the Jets and thought about for an hour or so..:mad:

Kaiser ring to cancel everything, then you'll get the deals.

Oh dear, Oh dear! You should have taken the half-price offer:confused: And have clarified that THEY will do the cancelling, and that YOU will not be held liable for any oversight on their part. You should chance ringing back right now and get to talk to the same guy if at all possible. I think Cancellations operate Office hours, so get cracking !!!

Oh dear, Oh dear! You should have taken the half-price offer:confused: And have clarified that THEY will do the cancelling, and that YOU will not be held liable for any oversight on their part. You should chance ringing back right now and get to talk to the same guy if at all possible. I think Cancellations operate Office hours, so get cracking !!!

PMSL,Fired off another E-mail earlier tonight, just got this reply. :D
    I have looked at your account and unfortunately the information you have already been given is correct. I have decided on this occassion due to the miss understanding to credit your sky account for the over charged billing as follows

19 euro 15/8-15/9

19euro 15/9-15/10

19 euro 15/10-15/11

total credit 57 euro. I have added this credit to your sky account and hope you find this offer satisfactory

I guess it's true what they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil..:)

Advertisement