Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding lesson prices

Options
  • 10-10-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering what you all are paying for lessons? Where you would recommend in the Dublin, Kildare area. Are the more expensive lessons better than the cheaper ones? Also, dressage, anyone done any good lessons that they would recommend. I'm not a horse owner yet but want to improve as much as possible before buying next year. I can only attend evenings / weekends. Evenings would have to be indoors. cheers. Puzzle.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Hi Puzzle, I'm afraid I can't help you with regards to the price of lessons or recommendations as to where to go, but I can try address the other part of your post.

Cheaper lessons are not necessarily 'worse' than more expensive lessons. Although most schools would try to keep prices at a similar level, the quality of the instruction may vary and it really depends on the instructor you get on given evening. I went for a lesson with my OH a few years ago in the UK and we went to the school they normally went to with the college equestrian club as it was quite good. However, the girl we got on the day we went for a private lesson wasn't very good and not of the same standard as the instructor who taught the college club.

Also, you need to look at the cost of a private lesson with compared with a group lesson, whether it be a large group of 'intermediate' riders, or maybe two or three other people you know who are the same standard as you. Obviously your private lesson will be solely focused on you and what you want to do, but would be more expensive than group lessons. Whether or not you feel that a few less frequent private lessons would be better than more regular group lessons is a personal choice and only one that you can make.

Hopefully a few other posters here can recommend schools and instructors to you, but best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

Private lessons in kellystown south dublin are €45 for 40 - 45 mins. Private in Kilrowan in Swords are €50 hour. Kellystown in relaxed/fun. Kilrowan is very 'stand up straight/serious'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Down the country (Waterford) it costs 25 euro per group of 5 or so for 1 hr and 30 euro for 30 mins private.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

yea im also in waterford ride in carrick 35e for an hr from a very good instructor also throws in a freebie now & again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

Adult group lessons vary in 3 schools in N Kildare from €26 (pay upfront for 12 lessons) to €35. Private lessons are usually €30 for 30 min and €60 for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

East Clare is €40 for a private lesson and €20 as part of a group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

One place in sligo is €25 for group of up to 12 for an hour, another is €30 for an hour and can vary from 2 to 5 people (but usually 4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Thanks all for your replys, you've been really great.

Scarymoon, re Kilrowan, when you say the are straight/ serious. Are they cranky or do they just put everything into the lesson. I want to come off the horse feeling I have learned something rather than just messed around but I don't fancy being heavily lectured or shouted at either and coming off feeling terrible, if you get what I mean. cheers, Puz.

Also indoor Arenas for night time during the winter, any suggestions, same location?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

When considering cost, think qualifications. Is the person teaching you qualified? Unless they are a top level competitor (in which case they'll cost a fortune), you should only take lessons from someone who is actually qualified to teach. Remember what it's like to take a driving lesson from your dad or brother? They might be great drivers, but rotten teachers. Teaching is a skill in its self and when it comes to something as complicated as riding you really want someone whom can communicate effectively and clearly. Just have a look around the boards to see riders who have had their confidence destroyed by less than brilliant teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replys, you've been really great.

Scarymoon, re Kilrowan, when you say the are straight/ serious. Are they cranky or do they just put everything into the lesson. I want to come off the horse feeling I have learned something rather than just messed around but I don't fancy being heavily lectured or shouted at either and coming off feeling terrible, if you get what I mean. cheers, Puz.

Also indoor Arenas for night time during the winter, any suggestions, same location?

The guy that gave me the lesson in Kilrowan has won competitions etc so he knows his stuff but there is not much fun involved ( which is what i want ) - he was nice and didnt lecture me - i would have went back again but they didnt contact me about another lesson so i went elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

helibelly wrote: »
    When considering cost, think qualifications. Is the person teaching you qualified? Unless they are a top level competitor (in which case they'll cost a fortune), you should only take lessons from someone who is actually qualified to teach. Remember what it's like to take a driving lesson from your dad or brother? They might be great drivers, but rotten teachers. Teaching is a skill in its self and when it comes to something as complicated as riding you really want someone whom can communicate effectively and clearly. Just have a look around the boards to see riders who have had their confidence destroyed by less than brilliant teachers.

Thanks for that. Where can you find our if they are qualified? If they are a member of the BHS or AIRC would that indicate that they are qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

BHS have a register of instructors, the basic qualification is 'assistant instructor' which the starting point for qualifications (although many people with this have much more experience but haven't formalized their training yet). I don't know about AIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Hi I think 60 euro per hour is ludicrous, I would want Jessica Kurten teaching me one to one for one hour for that kind of money. I cant reccommend anywhere. But ask in some tack shops, they usually know who is good in their area for dressage lessons. Try them out for one lesson and then pay them up front for a set amount of lessons as you will get them cheaper. I found that if you are straight with any instructor as to what you will and will not tolerate, they are normally ok. If not, vote with your feet. They need your custom. No one in their right mind would pay good money to be shouted at. I pay 25 euro per hour.;)

Horsemania wrote: »
    ...I pay 25 euro per hour.;)

Is that for a group lesson or private lesson, on your horse, or school horse. If its private on a school horse please give them some free advertising here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

No this is for a group lesson on a riding school horse. Excellent Value ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 outdoorsygirl

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    Private lessons in kellystown south dublin are €45 for 40 - 45 mins. Private in Kilrowan in Swords are €50 hour. Kellystown in relaxed/fun. Kilrowan is very 'stand up straight/serious'.

Those prices are an absolute rip off. In this recessionary period how dare they charge exorbitant prices. Kellystown is charging €1 per minute. Downright disgraceful.

And Kilrowan is just as expensive. I would not pay those kind of prices regardless of the standard of instructor. A private lesson should be no more than €20 per hours in these straitened times, and a group lesson should cost between €10 and €15 per person per hour.

I've had lessons over the years and the one thing I would never permit is some haughty instructress talking or shouting 'down' at me. I would always talk back to them. Nerver, ever feel intimidated by these people.

But let's start a campaign to reduce the exorbitant, grossly inflated hourly prices for private and group lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Definitely have to agree with you Outdoorsysirl about how ridiculously expensive prices are. I was going to one place where I somehow managed to get away with being charged the kids/teenage rate for a while (am 28 so don't know how that happened!!!) and it was reasonable enough. However, once I had to start paying the adult price I thought it was a bit ridiculous. After all, why should there be a difference between adult and child/teenage prices. I can understand it if it was a kiddies lesson and maybe there's some logic that the small ponies cost less to look after than horses but I was riding the same horses as everyone else from one week to the next, getting the same amount of attention etc. etc. so can't see any logical reason for the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I would not pay those kind of prices regardless of the standard of instructor.

A private lesson should be no more than €20 per hours in these straitened times, and a group lesson should cost between €10 and €15 per person per hour.

If you find somewhere charging €20 per hour private - let me know - good luck on your search ;)

As for paying "those kind of prices" I would rather pay for a private once a months and get something out of it - rather than a group lesson with a sub-standard instrctor - Personal Choice though - I suppose it depends on what your ultimate goals are in the long term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 outdoorsygirl

Bob old Boy,

Just in case you hadn't realised there is a serios economic recession in this country. It affects every line of business.
    And for businesses to remain afloat they must cut their costs and reduce their prices.
    Otherwise, customers will vote with their limited cash.
    Such a recession applies to riding stables too and if they want to continue with riding lessons at their existing prices, they will go out of business very quickly.
    A bit of common sense and logic should apply. Reduce their rates and they get customers.
    Retain exsiting rates and they go belly up.
    Simple.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Reducing costs is one thing, but reducing them to next to nothing isn't viable for equestrian centres and will also result in centres going out of business. Extremely low costs don't always mean good economic sense.

And bob has a point in that you get what you pay for. It's the same with paying for academic grinds - those who charge 10 or 15 euro per hour may not be as 'qualified' as those who charge 20 or 30 euro per hour (e.g. those without undergrad degrees v PhD students or teachers). Likewise, a private lesson, although perhaps shorter than a group lesson, is generally much more productive than a group lesson as it is just focused on your ability and needs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Any grade of rider can join AIRC, so need not have any teaching qualifications. The rate in our yard is €25 but most of us have horses in the yard/bring our own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

As far as I'm aware the price of hay/feed hasn't come down (open to correction) then there is the cost of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

As far as I'm aware the price of hay/feed hasn't come down (open to correction) then there is the cost of insurance.

no it hasnt really, at least not enough to enable riding schools/ etc to bring there prices down considerably! riding is an expensive sport!

Any grade of rider can join AIRC, so need not have any teaching qualifications. The rate in our yard is €25 but most of us have horses in the yard/bring our own.

Do you mean AIRE? I'm fairly sure AIRE check instructor qualifications. I know BHS do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I go to an instructor in co. galway. I pay €15 per lesson. He is not the best instructor but I don't mind as I want horse time. I can visit a better place every so often to correct any mistakes I am making. I was in Tralee Equestrian Centre recently and they have an excellent instructor - was €25 per hour for a public lesson I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

At the min we charge 25 for private lesson for an hour or so (can sometimes go on a little longer) on our school horses.
    We have two HSI coaches, one who teaches jumping, and the pony club:) and we have a international dressage rider giving flatwork/ dressage lessons.
    We are in Louth:)

Advertisement