Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best harmonica-driven blues?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can give me tips on who are the best artists for this kind of blues music. I've had a gawk on Amazon, but it only throws up stuff from the 40s, and I'm looking for more modern albums.

My blues knowledge is not all that hot, but I like BB King, Clapton.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 99 ✭✭Royal Dub

Muddy Waters -Hard Again; You wont look back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Check out the "Paul Butterfield Blues Band", Sonnyboy Williamson and our own Don Baker, on You Tube. John Mayall is also a great blues harp player, though it would not be his main instrument.

Little Walter was a blazing virtuoso and perhaps the greatest exponent (start with the Essential LW), Junior Wells (particularly Hoodoo Man Blues) almost as masterful, classic post-war Chicago blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The original Sonny Boy Williamson.
    I.e. the guy from the 40's not the 60's.

You asked for best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

All Muddy Waters stuff really.

John Mayall - Country Road

Canned Heat - On the Road Again.

Some early Allman Brothers stuff has harp in it.

Check out Ronnie Shellist on YouTube.

Howlin Wolf

Sorry, they're just a few random ones off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

any of the Muddy waters albumns from the '70's are the best place to start
    Hard again - with James Cotton
    I'm Ready - with Big Walter Horton
    Woodstock albumn - with Paul Butterfield

or just look at the back catalogue of any of those three harmonica players

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

also, if you're looking for more of a blues-rock then check out the J.Geils band which featured Magic Dick on harp for their earlier stuff ( do a you tube search for Whammer Jammer or Floyds Hotel).

another oneto look out for is Dr. Feelgood , not strictly Harp driven but lead singer Lee Brilleaux plays harp on many of their tracks. check out '20 yards behind' on tube also

another one to check out is Jason Ricci & the young bloods - not well known here but most of their stuff is up on you tube

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Kim Wilson ,Billy Branch,Billy Boy Arnold,Mark Hummel,James Cotton,Jerry Portnoy,Paul Oscher,Rick Estrin,Paul Lamb,Sugar Blue,Charlie Musselwhite,Rod Piazza,James Harman,Lazy Lester,Lynwood Slim they are all still with us.
    Little Walter, Junior Wells both of the Sonny Boy's, Little Mack Simmons,William Clarke, Sam Myers Howlin Wolf..........
    Incidentally a couple of weeks ago in The Rhythm Room in Phoenix Arizona there was a 2 day event called Amandas Roller Coaster featuring most of the first batch of guys and as many more, it has been videod so look out for the cds and DVD next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bohrhap

Check out Charlie Musslewhite and Bob Dylan plays a mean harp also.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

SanoVitae wrote: »

He's the best harp man I've heard this is my favourite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhHTh912ZI

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Don't forget Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bohrhap

Agree totally with your choice of Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee. Sonny could actually make that harp TALK,and I am not joking. Having seen the pair perform I can assure you its true. I also had the good fortune to meet both of them after the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kn0ckers

john mayell, saw him at the bluesfest last year.. unbelievable harp player

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Mark Feltham formerly with the Rory Gallagher Band, now with Nine below Zero.
    Had the pleasure to see / hear him three weeks ago, and again ... stunning.
    And let's not forget Paul Jones (Manfred Mann, the Blues Band). Still remember that sunday evening in Lisdoonvarna 1980. Great stuff.
    Btw. Don't forget to tune in to his radio show on mondays @ BBC Radio2.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Frisian wrote: »
    Btw. Don't forget to tune in to his radio show on mondays @ BBC Radio2.

Speaking of radio shows I usually listen to The Bluestrain on Dublin City FM Sunday night at 10pm.

Advertisement