Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Pro advice needed.

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking into getting a Mac Pro . The models I've narrowed it down to are the 6core 3.33ghz or the 8core 2.4ghz. I'm aware of the larger ram capacity of the 8 core but that aside I'm not sure of which unit is better for DAWS going foward.
    The advice on the net is simply confusing, there are those that say that the extra cores are more important than processor speed and others who are on the opposite side. So after reading all the technical arguments and having an reasonable understanding I thought I'd ask the users.

My question - has anybody have real experience with these units or similar -- ie. more cores proved better performance than lower core count with better speeds ,all other settings being close?
    Using PT 8 and I'm aware that PT not utilising 64 bit or multible cores but looking foward, I'm hoping Avid will address this - again any insight on the 2nd point would be greatly appreciated.
    -Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Unless you need PCIe, I don't see any reason to get a Mac Pro. The Quad core iMac is a rocket for Pro Tools and lots of plugins. 27" screen so you don't need a dual screen setup.

You said "going forward"...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi Mad,
    Its a HD Pro tools rig, so the Imac's lack of PCIe card slots rule it out . Also the 1 firewire port, the cap of 16 gigs of ram might make it unsuitable for the sessions I'd like to run.
    Thanks for reply.
    -Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Well as I said, unless you need PCIe. It's a tough decision, not least because of the price of these boxes! We have a couple of older dual qauds with HD3 here, they have yet to fall over on intensive sessions. Obviously the HD3 takes the processing load.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Word is that PT won't be 64 bit for some time yet (2012 being mentioned) so you are limited to 3GB ram for PT.
    http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&itemid=22274&categoryid=34
    I have a quad 2.6 first gen mac pro with rme digiface running logic and it screams along.
    Never come anywhere near hitting processor limits, even when running a hd video in logic for film mixing.
    If RAM is getting low I switch logic to 64 bit and it can access the whole 8 GB in the machine.
    Apparently if you are going for a new MP, you are better going for the less number of, but faster speed cores.
    You would get a previous model MP pretty cheap and it should do the job fine.
    I have no need to update my MP for some time yet and I have had it 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Robin Ball

hey Declan,

I have the 8-core with a HD3 setup, total overkill if you ask me.... the process cards do all the work and do a damn fine job if you ask me!

I always find that newer macs have more issues with digi stuff... The older model (from an internal design aspect) would be the one that I'd go for, a proven design.

Assuming you are using mostly TDM plugs you could really pick up any model. I use a great deal of RTAS plugs on all my sessions and have never had a processing issue.

Good luck with the purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement