Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real benefits of giving up!

Options
  • 09-10-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

It is great to come in to this forum as a non smoker and read about the people that are starting out. I feel bloody delighted for them.

I'm only a couple of months off them, but delighted so far.

Every thread here is full of positivity and postings of the great benefits of giving up.

How about we bunch together some of those benefits? The ones we have personally felt?

My first one wouldn't be found in any of the health books:
    I find that my hangovers are so reduced it is amazing! I used to suffer badly from hangovers and don't since I stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

+1

Hangovers have greatly improved too since off the cigs. Still not as good the next day as when I was 19 but an improvement none the less!

I really love not having to hoover the inside of the car every weekend to get rid of the ash from the floor, back seats and parcel shelf. It used to be a ritual every weekend.

Silly but sooo true!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Lol, your major benefits are hangovers (Overcompsution of alcohol) are not as bad? only in ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

1. The money saved is one major benefit. I am getting paid tomorrow and on Friday only had ~20 euro left. 6 months ago I would have bought a pack of smokes and then ended up hungry as a result. Instead, I have soup on, a roast in the oven, plus I bought enough beer to keep me going for the weekend.

2. Phlegm.

3. Not smelling like an ash tray. One of the guys came in from having one the other day, and the stink off him. I used to smell like that but I dont any more.

4. I ran a fair distance the other day with a heavy bag on my back and when I got on the bus, I sat down and got my breath back. I didnt suffer a mini heart attack or splutter all over everyone.

5. Long journeys on buses/trains. I took a 12-hour train journey to Poland a couple of weeks ago. 12 hours on a train and not able to smoke? Not long ago I would be going mad. Instead I read, watched a movie and had a nice sleep. No anxiety or discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

1. NOT STINKING ANY MORE. I never could smell myself or fellow smokers when I smoked - I thought if I held the cigarette away from my body the smell would not seep into my clothes How wrong was I. I can smell a smoker from a mile away now - and it is the most disgusting smell ever. You can see a person looking extremely well, taking care to dress neatly and really taking care of themselves and when they pass by, the whiff of smoke is so offputting. How silly was I to think that just because I didn't smell the smoke from myself that it wasn't there when I was smoking.

2. MONEY - feeling quite rich now compared to what I did before I smoked. Have lots more money to treat myself.

3. COMPLEXION - so much better - realise only now that when I was a smoke I had a grey complexion compared to the one I have now which is healthy. Again, never really noticed it at the time.

4. SENSE OF FREEDOM - watching people going out for a smoke and standing in the rain smoking - I now feel so sorry for them and am so happy that I am not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm on my second day without a cigarette so I'm looking forward to see how much money I've saved by the end of the week.

I'm also looking forward to having my tastebuds back and also looking forward to no more nagging from parents to give up. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Amberman

The feeling I love the most is that Im not a sucker any more. I always knew smoking had no more point than satisfying the craving it created....but getting free from the slavery is truly brilliant. One of the best things I;ve ever done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Amberman wrote: »
    The feeling I love the most is that Im not a sucker any more. I always knew smoking had no more point than satisfying the craving it created....but getting free from the slavery is truly brilliant. One of the best things I;ve ever done!

+ a million!

Also any twinge in the chest or back area no longer makes me jump to the conclusion I have the beginnings of lung cancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fags are Evil

I've noticed a significant difference since I dropped from 40 a day to 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Off them two weeks today and have to say its been a lot easier than i thought it would be. I do get the odd craving but it passes quick enough. Biggest benifit i've noticed so far is the money you save, i know its an obvious one but it makes such a difference to your wallet. I'm only off them a short while but i really feel confident i'll stay off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Great idea for a thread!

I'll be repeating most of the ones already mentioned, but when it comes to being a non-smoker, the positives are worth shouting about;

• I'm no longer wheezing like an accordion* after running to catch a bus.
    • No longer smelling like an ashtray.
    • I'm actually sleeping much better at night.
    • My teeth and skin look much better than before, and other people have noticed this too!
    • The extra money each week is amazing! I was a twenty a day man, and since quitting in June, I've not spent about €1300! Do yourselves a favour, and set up a credit union or bank savings account to save the amount you'd spend on smoking. It'll rack up in no time.
    • Again, the general feeling of being free from the vile things, of no longer needing the little poisonous crutch and the ability to be perfectly happy without them! I wouldn't have thought it possible before. Even now, thinking about how I'm now free still puts a grin on my face :D

*yeah, bad metaphor, but couldn't think of anything wheezy :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

+1 on everything said so far

Being able to smell and taste things is fantastic (most of the time :))

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not waking up in the morning and having your nose all blocked up and coughing up phlegm is the most noteworthy benefit so far for me.

I just felt like crap in the morning but I'm feeling an awful lot better now when I wake up.

Advertisement