Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEWARE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Happening in the county too. My ma and one of her neighbours got these type of calls a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its been going on for quite a while I'm afraid. If you do get any of these calls just disconnect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My sister (in Dublin) got a call too.

She told the person she didn't have a computer :) They were like: Oh! Oh, no laptop? "No, no laptop"

Threw them right off.

Hee hee hee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The "Online PC Doctor" Scam.

Been happening around the world for years, hit Ireland this year.
    They bring you into your computers registry and show you all the normal operating errors.
    Scare you into thinking that it's a fault and then the real fun starts.

Some times they just sell you useless software.
    Other times they they scim your credit card details.
    Worst of all are the ones that get you to go to give them remote access of your PC.
    They range from looking for your bank information, to personal info and pictures.
    You hear stories of them simply maliciously wrecking your computer too.

Steer well clear.
    In fact tell them that you're reprting them to the police.
    Should stop them calling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

If they call me I'm keeping them on the line for as long as possible. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was wondering would you be charged for picking up - if not I so hope they call!!!

I got one before and just acted as dumb as possible til he hung up on me!

"what does right click mean" was a personal fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

zuroph wrote: »

wheres the "any" key?

click on my computer, how can I click on your computer, i can only click on MY computer.

or just tell them you own a Mac, that'll make them hang up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

krudler wrote: »
    wheres the "any" key?

click on my computer, how can I click on your computer, i can only click on MY computer.

or just tell them you own a Mac, that'll make them hang up :pac:
    I'd imagine they are all going to be about Windows so yeah? One more reason to go with Ubuntu haha.

Also, Zuroph (all mods look the same to me now D: ), I expect some audio transcripts after they call you :3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

zuroph wrote: »

Yeah , you can have some great fun with them if you have the time , I have had two or three calls from them , usually play along for a while then call them every name under the sun , I find it is a good way of releasing stress .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Off topic but i like to have a bit of fun with the Im Mugabes wife and i have 10,000,000 for ya emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Parents got a call from them last week. I wonder are they going through a phonebook area by area or summit?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

My mam got one of these calls last week. They were asking about operating systems and stuff, she's not great with the tech stuff and they were foreign so she got confused and hung up after a minute. I knew it was dodgy the second she told me about it.

kilburn wrote: »
    Off topic but i like to have a bit of fun with the Im Mugabes wife and i have 10,000,000 for ya emails.

I hope she's offering you more than 10,000,000.
    Sure with Zimbabwe's inflation that's only worth about 2 cent!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I hope she's offering you more than 10,000,000.
    Sure with Zimbabwe's inflation that's only worth about 2 cent!

:P

Cant understand why she wouldnt give me the cash when I told her how happy I was to recieve the email because times were hard after my wife ran off with the binman and left me raising 9 children alone on the dole. I even offered to give her half the money if she would mover over to mind the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

kilburn wrote: »
    raising 9 children alone on the dole.

But that would make you a millionaire.

Advertisement