Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite dish/LNB issue?

Options
  • 09-10-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

I have a SkyHD box which is getting "no satellite signal" on certain channels.

So having tested swapping the cables from the dish, and looking at the signal strength/quality screen this is what is observed.

If the box is tuned to a no satellite channel (Sky 1/Skynews), there is no lock on either tuner.
    If the box is tuned to a working channel (RTE1/2) there is a lock on one tuner but not the other.
    If the cables are swapped, the other tuner gets a lock.

I do live in Cork, and noted the suggestion in another thread that strong winds might have misaligned a dish. Could I have a dish/LNB issue?

I have HD and movies from Sky and was thinking of dropping them. I suppose I could negotiate to get a free service visit. I'm not quite sure how to play that.

Ix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Actually I'm now leaning towards the box being the problem.

I've connected my old Sky digibox, and inserted each of the satellite cables. Each one works with Sky News, and all the other free channels I could find, and shows signal strength/quality at 50-60%. For the subscription channels like Sky1 I get insert viewing card, but even this suggests that there is a signal available.

I put the cables back into the SkyHD box and Sky News shows no satellite signal. And now with the box set to say RTE1 I get a good signal quality lock on both tuners... and with Skynew on (really not on) I get no lock on either) I'm a little puzzled. However if the digibox is working fine then it suggests it's the HD box at fault.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yes it's likely to be your psu, inside the box, easy to get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

I know someone else with the same problem.....can you explain where it can be fixed.....
    I had the same problems myself last year and it aws the PSU......I could not find anyone to fix it.....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

excollier wrote: »
    Yes it's likely to be your psu, inside the box, easy to get fixed.

Yes, I think you may be right.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/thom_psu.htm

The tough question for me now is what to do about it. Switch to Freesat or try to get a free fix from Sky. Since I'm not bluffing about canceling I expect I could get a free callout, but do I want to... ponder...

Getting a replacement PSU from satcure is going to be awkward, taking several weeks probably, and like I said I'm pretty sure I can get Sky to fix it.

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

sky will only swap out the box.
    at least with the replacement psu you will have a great box and all your recordings.

Do you know anyone who could do some soldering. maybe just by the kit..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Try here, it's in the North, I know, but they are very good

http://www.pacelink.co.uk/

Advertisement