Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ski Instructors

Options
  • 08-10-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

How many Irish Ski instructors are out there. Which systems are they qualified under. How many are working full seasons. How many have ISIA. Has anyone compiled these sort of figures or estimated them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

Not a clue.

We've got well over 100 qualified on the ski club's books. A couple of these teach seasons on snow from time to time.

There's another bunch of IASI qualified people who wouldn't teach in the ski club, possibly another 100 again.

How many people are qualified and out there is anyone's guess though. If you came across a large group of Peak Leaders (or any other instructor training camp) anywhere on the globe, you'd be pretty much guaranteed to find at least one token Irish person in the group but many of them would never have taught.

When I taught a season in Canada I'd come across the occasional other Irish person in the ski school.

My guess would be a couple of thousand people qualified but only a couple of hundred actually using it anywhere.

I'm qualified under NZ and Canadian systems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

There is approx about 200 qualified instructors in Ireland qualified through a combination of IASI, BASI and the Canadian and New Zeland systems.

There is a group on FaceBook for Irish ski instructors working through the world, which should give you an idea of numbers and where they are working and how they are qualified.

There are approx 15-20 ISIA instructors based in Ireland and approx another 10-20 working on their ISIA or who have completed some of the ISIA courses.

There are a number of Irish instructors working seasons all over the world and some that do a number of week through the year where possible.

Advertisement