Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which airport to get to Mayrhofen?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭

Evening everybody. Looking at booking a diy trip to Mayrhofen and i'm stuck between the best airport to use.

1- Innsbruck seems like the best option but nobody flies from Dublin.
    2- Memmingen has the cheapest flights but the transfer looks long/tidious.
    3- Munich, train or bus seem possible but cant seem to find definite prices.
    4- Salzburg, train 3hrs and possibly €40 one way (cant get prices until 60 days before departure so the price is an approx one)

Now bearing in mind the flights to Salzburg and Munich are similarly priced.

Which would be the best and does anybody know of roughly what the price of the train from Munich to Mayrhofen is?

PS. It will be either 1 or 2 travellers so a private transfer isnt an option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

I flew to innsbruck last year to go to mayerhofen!!!

have u been there before cause if not i have some brill tips that i got of Fattes and hes the best!!! haha

Try budget travel and search for just flights and you might be able to get some, then when you get to the airport just go up to a crystal desk and ask to get on a bus to innsbruck and you just pay a return fair and your sorted!!! :D

Try budget travel and search for just flights and you might be able to get some

just checked myself and they dont seem to fly to innsbruck but their package to mayrhofen, maybe try ringing them, or check the innsbruck airport website as it tells u what airlines are coming in from what airports on a daily basis, last year we were with austrian airlines, but it also lets u book them i think as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

just checked myself and they dont seem to fly to innsbruck but their package to mayrhofen, maybe try ringing them, or check the innsbruck airport website as it tells u what airlines are coming in from what airports on a daily basis, last year we were with austrian airlines, but it also lets u book them i think as well!!!

I actually rang Directski yesterday as i remembered seeing a link for flight only last season. They said that they save the seats for the package hols and if these seats don't sell then then offer them out to general flights.

The thing is do should i miss the chance of cheap ryanair/aer lingus flights now or hold on to see if directski might/might not release seats which I don't know the price of.

Can you remember what the flights cost with budget?

We did book a package last year so I dont know how much the flights are seprately, but I was looking at ones to Salzburg with Budget travel and there €161 with swiss air, but there is one stop, but were students so cheeper is better!!! :)

Ah ok, long time since i was a student:). The flights and train working out at under €200 to either Salzburg or Munich the other day, although they could have changed.
    Cheers for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Salzburg is closer and quicker to get to Mayrhofe from, Great choice of resorts.

Absolutley super selection of slopes great snow record and every type of Bar you can imagine. The ice bar is so banging it should be banned

The trip down form Munich is not to bad either as it is a train with one Transfer.

Have spen allot of time there so give me a shout if you need anything.

Fattes...carefull u dont fall your showing off again!!! :P

Hey I am not the one that ruined the last quick fire run by trying to chew the dendix as I slid face first down it :D

If i went face first I wud have scratches on my face, but clearly I went knees 1st cause dats weres bruised, and very badly bruised, also my shoulder is bruised and my arm is scratched!!! dunno what way i fell or landed but it was ****ed up!!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Check out Bahn.de for train prices. I got a first class return last year for €60 from Munich to Austria. All very easy.

Innsbruck is the closest to Mayrhofen but flights there are usually charter. I would go Munich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Direct flights to innsbruck are gone this year. Charter flights only by the looks of it.

Looking to go there myself with a group...looks like it'll be package as accomodation is expensive looking.

Thanks for all the help and info guys :)
    Looks like i'll go to Munich as the flight time's are better than Salzburg.

Flikflak- Thanks for that website, cant seem to get prices more than 2 months in advance. Would it be worth paying the extra few € for first class?

^ I thought it was worth it. The 2nd class coaches were jammers on the way down to Austria and there were only a few of us in the 1st class ones.

On the way back it was a fancy train and we got given snacks and drinks on board and the seat was massive and again the coach was more or less empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Definitely worth it to pay the extra for 1st class. Trains down from Germany to Austria on winter Saturdays can be chaos. 2nd class is fine, but you run the risk that your carriage will be chock a block with luggage all over the place, skis all over the place BFGs (big fat people from a country north of Austria) all over the place, your pre-booked compartment occupied by a school full of Dutch school kids, etc . . .

This just isn't going to happen in 1st class. The difference in price isn't huge if you book in advance. You may not get €70 or €90 worth of quality 1st class time, but you at least don't get to sit in a cramped 2nd class carriage hoping that when you go to get off at Jenbach (change for Mayrhofen) there will be some way to get your luggage past all the above obstacles in the 180s that the train stops.

Oh, and you get to use the 1st class lounge in Munich too - free snacks, showers too I think. Certainly an element of calm in an otherwise busy station.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Related to Mayrhofen (hijack rather than new thread)

3-4 young lads (mid 20's) looking for a bit of crack and hoping to do some skiiing/snowboarding/apres skiing :p
    We were gonna go to the Dam but fancy something a bit different. We are looking to go maybe the wk of the 22nd Jan? Difficult trying to organise it as I havn't a clue of what to bear in mind.
    Any help here would be great as I have no idea of the differenence between all the various countries and resorts.
    • Is there a good website that reviews the destinations? Mayrhofen more or less just popped up and we are just looking for somewhere that ticks all the boxes (good location/value/amenities/fun etc.)
    • What is the cheapest we could do this holiday on (incl the essentials, flights accom/ski pass/gear etc presumably for 1 wk)? What is a realistic budget? Independently v charter?
    • What other costs would we need to consider?

Seems there is a massive difference in price from what I can see so if anyone has any tips/suggestions it would definitely help us! :D

Mayrhofe is the perfect resort for mid 20 lads on the rip and getting some skiing done.What is the cheapest we could do this holiday on (incl the essentials, flights accom/ski pass/gear etc presumably for 1 wk)? What is a realistic budget? Approx €550- 700 including booze and food for the week. Booze and food approx (€150- 200)Independently v charter? Depends on the week and whats on offer sometimes it is cheaper to go independant sometimes the TO will be able to do it cheaperWhat other costs would we need to consider? Food, Beer! If you go half board it can help reduce the cost but you are stuck eating in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Cheers fattes thanks for giving me an idea...that would be perfect.
    If you were me where would you start trying to organise it?
    Can you recommend TO or hotels?
    Is it cheaper to organise ski pass/equipment there or before we leave?
    Getting excited about this!

For the ski rental I would shun the TO and use this guy, best equipment in the village and his store is at the top of the Gondola so you dont have to lug it up and down every day, Also you can bring it down inf you are heading hte glacier or down the valler to zell em ziller

Ski Passes will be the same price no matter what but some of the TO do offer deals on passes.

http://www.skicenter-hubertkroell.com/

For accomadation here is the local tourist board. THe hotel Neahaus is really good and at the other end Pension Kroll is pretty good to
    http://www.mayrhofen.at/search-booking.html?L=1

If you want something off the wall all together!
    http://www.snowbombing.com/en/

Crystal tends to have the cheapest deals but DirectSki.com are good to. For independant fly to Saalbach, Innsbruck, Menninghim and transger right to the village

Let me know if you need anything.

Most Pensions in Austria are clean and tidy if you only want b+b. There are loads of them in the village and outskirts.

The Obermaier is quite a big one at the bottom of the main st near the petrol station.

tiscover.at is handy for pension booking.

There are some great hotels in Mayrhofen if your budget allows. The Strass, Mannis, the Elizabeth (v v swanky) and as mentioned above the Neuhaus (the dining room in there is massive!!) the Berghof is also lovely.

If I were you I would book a flight then hotel/pension and then either hire a car or get the train from which ever airport you are flying into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

jvan wrote: »
    Evening everybody. Looking at booking a diy trip to Mayrhofen and i'm stuck between the best airport to use.

1- Innsbruck seems like the best option but nobody flies from Dublin.
    2- Memmingen has the cheapest flights but the transfer looks long/tidious.
    3- Munich, train or bus seem possible but cant seem to find definite prices.
    4- Salzburg, train 3hrs and possibly €40 one way (cant get prices until 60 days before departure so the price is an approx one)

Now bearing in mind the flights to Salzburg and Munich are similarly priced.

Which would be the best and does anybody know of roughly what the price of the train from Munich to Mayrhofen is?

PS. It will be either 1 or 2 travellers so a private transfer isnt an option.

I have travelled approx 6 times in last 2/3 years from Munich to Mayrhoffen and have travelled second class( travelling out Thrs and returning Tues). From memory a return second class from Munich airport to Mayrhoffen is approx € 80 euros. This inlcudes the hour long trip on the local train from Jenbach to Mayrhoffen.

• Advertisement

jimmay wrote: »
    Related to Mayrhofen (hijack rather than new thread)

3-4 young lads (mid 20's) looking for a bit of crack and hoping to do some skiiing/snowboarding/apres skiing :p
    We were gonna go to the Dam but fancy something a bit different. We are looking to go maybe the wk of the 22nd Jan? Difficult trying to organise it as I havn't a clue of what to bear in mind.
    Any help here would be great as I have no idea of the differenence between all the various countries and resorts.
    • Is there a good website that reviews the destinations? Mayrhofen more or less just popped up and we are just looking for somewhere that ticks all the boxes (good location/value/amenities/fun etc.)
    • What is the cheapest we could do this holiday on (incl the essentials, flights accom/ski pass/gear etc presumably for 1 wk)? What is a realistic budget? Independently v charter?
    • What other costs would we need to consider?

Seems there is a massive difference in price from what I can see so if anyone has any tips/suggestions it would definitely help us! :D

I'm booking a group from college if you want to hop in with us, PM me if you havnt got sorted yet and I will email you the details, were going on the 22nd to Livigno Italy!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I was just reading about how a NUI lecturer was hiring a private jet to get to Innsbrick from Galway, so banged in Innsbruck into sky scanner.
    I understand why he hired the private jet. A balls to get to innsbruck from galway.

But from Dublin to Innsbruck for random dates, theres return flights in January with a 2 hour layover in gatwick for a mere 133 euro with Easy jet etc..

If you were hiring the kit in Austria, it'd be a runner. Just travel with hand luggage.
    To collect baggage/ skis etc and check in again though?
    possibly not so convenient!

I was just reading about how a NUI lecturer was hiring a private jet to get to Innsbrick from Galway, so banged in Innsbruck into sky scanner.
    I understand why he hired the private jet. A balls to get to innsbruck from galway.

But from Dublin to Innsbruck for random dates, theres return flights in January with a 2 hour layover in gatwick for a mere 133 euro with Easy jet etc..

If you were hiring the kit in Austria, it'd be a runner. Just travel with hand luggage.
    To collect baggage/ skis etc and check in again though?
    possibly not so convenient!

Haha, yeah I was reading that article as well. I had looked into doing a stop over flight also but we have our own gear so the airlines would have fleeced us with baggage charges.

I actually booked the flights the other day with Aer Lingus so I just have to wait to book the transfer which more than likely will be the train from Munich.

Thanks for all your help and tips guys :)

Evening everybody :). With regard to the train transfer, how much would I be likely to save if I booked 1st class now compared to just buying on the day when we arrive in Munich?
    I think its working out at about €60 one way at the moment.

Advertisement