Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Ellroy on Irish radio this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm a big James Ellroy fan.

Thanks a mil for the links. I look forward to listening to them.

PS. Big Nowhere > LA Confidential ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

Vim Fuego wrote: »

One with Matt Cooper: http://media.todayfm.com/podcasts (Go to 'listen back', Last Word, Thursday, Part 2, 53 mins in)

It didn't go so well.

I have the Big Nowhere in my suitcase, can't wait to get stuck in.

Can't find this online now. Anyone know where this might be online?

Also, The Big Nowhere is really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

Just finished listening to Pat Kenny's interview. Overall it was excellent listening. Kenny made Ellroy very relaxed and Kenny was obviously interested in the era and the place (Los Angeles.)

I did squeam when Kenny said something like: "yes I think I know something about that... having watched Pearl Harbor."

And Kenny's intro (reading from script was very awkward and stilted.)

Overall, a great interview (probably the best radio interview I've heard with Ellroy.)

One funny thing, no Angeleno pronounces it "Los Angeleez" - that is a British mispronunciation going back decades. It's Los Angelus or if you want a very old 1940s pronounciation you could pronounce it with a hard "g." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Juice Terry

Has anyone been able to find this as it's not on the Today FM/Last Word podcasts? What happened during the interview? Someone told me he walked out of the studio?!?!?

JE is my favourite writer of last 20 years. Everyone should read 'American Tabloid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

The Cooper interview started off awkwardly and got worse. That said, JE was quite entertaining in an aggressive sort of way. I haven't listened to it since the original post but Cooper started off by asking about The Tiger Woods scandal as JE used to be a caddy.

Response from memory - "I don't know **** about Tiger Woods, just that he's not as good as Ben Hogan or Jack Nicklaus....".

Fantastic start. They went on to discuss his memoirs then and the subject of prostitutes came up:

MC: So, you used prostitutes?

JE: I never used prostitutes, I liked to talk to prostitutes.

MC: But it says in your book that you frequented prostitutes....

JE: Your tone is bull****, this interview is bull****....

*storms off*

MC: Come back James....

That's the gist of it anyway, worth a listen if you can find it online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement