Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the 'free' horses?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Was expecting to be the proud owner of a new horse today but she didn't pass the vet's inspection. Turns out the reason she was less than 1k was serious wind issues and not that the owner's didn't have time to ride her.
    That aside, the only reason I could get my other half to agree to buy one at all was the low price. He is dead set against paying over 1k for any kind of horse as 'people are giving them away for free because of the recession'.

So, are people giving them away for free? Have heard this but not seen it! Am I looking in the wrong places or is this an urban (rural?!) myth?

Have looked at rescue horses but never being able to own a horse on who's upkeep and health you will be spending you're hard earned euro's, I'm not entirely sure about.
    I probably would not be approved anyway, as I own no land and will be going down the livery route (this is pure speculation on my part).

So back to the original question - where are all the 'free' horses?!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A lot of 'free' horses are the type of horse that you've mentioned above. They have something wrong with them and are either unsuitable to be ridden or for fast work. That said, however, I was down at a Goresbridge TB sale last year and young unbroken horses were being sold for about 500 euro.

But I've been looking at ads for 'decent' horses and the prices being asked have still not fallen. I know someone who was asking for between 1,500 and 2,000 for a 19 year old pony!

If you were willing to commit to looking after a horse and offering a good home, you could try contact some of the animal welfare groups, such as IHWT, who are looking for people to rehome horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Thanks lordgoat.

More ads than horses though. Think a lot of them are down as €0 not because they are €0 but because it's POA. Don't see any 'free to good home'.
    Not that I expect to be handed a great horse for nothing - I am trying to convince my other half that good horses still cost a fair bit. Even if that fair bit is half what it was a couple of years ago.

Thanks convert.

Been looking at the catalogue for Goresbridge later this month.

Will go for a look and drag himself along!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sipstrassi wrote: »
    Thanks lordgoat.

More ads than horses though. Think a lot of them are down as €0 not because they are €0 but because it's POA. Don't see any 'free to good home'.
    Not that I expect to be handed a great horse for nothing - I am trying to convince my other half that good horses still cost a fair bit. Even if that fair bit is half what it was a couple of years ago.

There have been ads there with horses free to good home etc but as convert says there more than likely will be a catch. That said keep an eye on done deal. You might get lucky. But you have to trawl through alot of the ads.

I'd start saving and wait for something that suits you. just my take on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Do you have The Dealer OP? Usually, they can't give them away! You should be able to get a good horse for about 800. Don't know where you are living but where I am, the prices are nearly all below 1000, and not much over. Yearlings in sales are going as low as 50 euro and some riding horses aren't even being sold. There are small race horse trainers giving horses away that they can't keep. My uncle got offered 2 free horses and I know plenty others. They are out there, just keep looking. Go to sales, look in local ad dealer. I don't think Done Deal is allowed to show the prices anymore??

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't think Done Deal is allowed to show the prices anymore??

How come? Is it because it's online? It wouldn't really make sense as The Irish Field and Farmers' Journal can advertise the prices, as can Buy and Sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

In my opinion you get what you pay for.

If you get a 'free' horse, you'd better be prepared to put the work and time into it. A well trained, schooled and experienced horse will never be free. And a novice owner shouldnt really be looking at anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Perhaps if the initial cost of buying a horse is being a problem, then maybe you would consider loaning or sharing a horse. At least with those options you will get access to a good horse (hopefully!) thats well trained and will be able to show you a few things. Good schoolmasters are worth their weight in gold and can be pricey!

As well, dont forget the buying of the horse is usually the cheapest part. Once you have it youve got livery bills, shoeing, vets bills and insurence to worry about not forgetting competition fees and tack etc that you will need to buy. They all get pretty pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Lol no such thing as a `free horse`........there is always something you have to pay for thats hidden.........
    If you cant afford to pay over 1000 for a decent animal how are you going to pay for good proper fitting tack, vet bills,feed, rugs, shoeing etc......in my mind and experience the horse is usually the cheapest part of the whole process and if you cant afford that........DONT BUY!!!

• Advertisement

Ok, guys and gals, let's not go down the route of attacking the OP for asking such a question or reminding them that buying a horse is the cheapest part of owning, especially if you one doesn't have somewhere to keep the horse.

I actually think the OP raised a valid question here. There's lots of rumours about people 'giving away' horses or selling horses for next to nothing, and ads that says 'free to good home'. However, when you actually go and look for these free horses there really don't seem to be any out there, unless they're old or unsound.

There are a lot of 'cheap' horses being sold at the moment, especially unbroken horses, but if you aren't in a position to break them yourself, then you're probably better to buy a 'made' horse.

Moreover, a lot of owners still seem to be asking Celtic Tiger prices for their horses. Yes, a good horse is worth their weight in gold, but there are an awful lot of mediocre horses out there whose owners are asking for ridiculous sums of money, even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Sorry convert but dont see anyone `attacking` anyone just expressing an option (thats widely viewed) that there are no `free horses` as there is always a payment - be it vet (as she has realised herself) tack, livery etc....
    I myself have heard the expression `due to the recession they are throwing tbs out of racing yards and you can pick one up for nothing` however when you actually go searching.....its not quite true!!!! So its abit of urban/rural myth mixed with abit of truth!!!! Its true Convert that some owners still have huge prices on their mediocre animals whether they are broken or unbroken!!

As for the person who started this thread - start saving esp if your other half isnt prepared to go higher than €1000 get some money of your own together and put it with it........remember buying sales animals (eg g`bridge etc) is just as risky as buying off the likes of Donedeal....bring someone along with you that has more experience and will help/guide you.....and best of luck as sometimes the experience you gain by `searching` is worth alot in itself!!!!

Firstly, I wasn't posting with just your reply in mind and yes, while it is necessary to remember that horses literally eat money, it's also worthwhile noting that a lot of individuals, whether 'big' or small time owners, have a maximum which they can afford to pay for a horse, especially if they have to factor in livery costs, etc.

Regarding 'free' hoses, yes they are out there, but difficult to come across. I've spoken with quite a few people who run yards, whether livery, competition or racing yards, and every one of them has had at least one horse whose owner hasn't paid their bills and which is either being sold for very little or given away for nothing. I know of two people who have received free horses, while another one bought a racehorse for 300 euro and has great success with it. There's also a huge number of horses being leased for free.

So yes, they are out there. Yes, you will have to pay for vet fees, but I'd rather that than ending up with an unsound horse. Yes, you can buy a horse for less than 1000 euro, but as with any horse, make sure that before you buy the horse is what you want/need and will do what you want it to do.

I'd also advise going down to the sales just to have a look without an intention of buying. Observe what goes on, how owners are handling their horses, etc. and how the horses react to what's going on. Look at other buyers and see how they assess the horses. Often you'll learn a lot more and may even pick up a horse when you least expect it. And as mack mentioned, it would be a good idea to bring someone experienced with you, if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you go to sales OP be careful bringing a trailer with you, I have heard stories about horses/ponies being dumped in other peoples transport. Being 'stories' of course it could be bull.

Don't skimp on the vetting if you do get one cheap, buy with your head and ignore your heart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As said above good horses still go for reasonable money at the sales, at the last Event horse sale in Tattersalls most sellers were very optimistic/over valued on the price on their horses.

I bought my present horse for €2500 about 6 years ago and that was the smallest part of the sale, the bills just added up after that.

The IHWT keep ownership of the horse they loan you

Thanks for all the replies.
    Quite a few assumptions out there! :)

I would like to clarify - I am not a novice owner. It's just been a while since I owned my last horse. I'm well aware of the costs from having my own horses and from having worked as a groom on stud farms.

It's not a matter of saving up to buy a good horse either - didn't say I had no money (am not loaded, but am not broke either!) - said my husband objected. I don't like conflict so am not pushing him.

Asked the original question for two reasons:
    1. Have heard the rumours but not seen the evidence.
    2. I want a relatively young horse who is already riding and I don't believe I will get one for free (or very cheap). The fact that most of you agree with me allows me to show my husband these posts so that it's not just my opinion but the opinion of other experienced people. If that doesn't convince him will just shelve the idea for while.

All that said, there's a 'free to good home' ad on donedeal this morning!

I never made any assumption about OP at all.

Its often people who are new to it who think they can get into it cheaply. Theres nothing cheap about the whole endeavour at all. And if you get a cheap horse you'll have to put a lot of time and/or training into it.

Plenty of thoroughbreds going for free. If you ring up some trainers and keep your ear to the ground you might get a nice one. Thoroughbreds can take a bit more looking after than some other breeds and they are generally sharper to ride. Can be fab riding horses though. ( personally, I wouldnt hunt one in my part of the country)

Sorry to contradict you about assumptions Fits but
    fits wrote: »

If you get a 'free' horse, you'd better be prepared to put the work and time into it. A well trained, schooled and experienced horse will never be free. And a novice owner shouldnt really be looking at anything else.

If you are not assuming that I am a novice owner, to whom are you referring?
    If not to me, then apologies for assuming you were assuming! :)

I completely agree that you get what you pay for and I think if you read both my original and last posts you'll see I at no point thought you wouldn't.

Just wanted to ask the question about the so called 'free' horses.

Will take your advice about the racing stables as there are some around me. I wouldn't mind getting a horse I have to put some work into as I have the time.

Old joke:
    How do you get a small fortune?
    Start with a large one and buy a horse!

sipstrassi wrote: »
    If you are not assuming that I am a novice owner, to whom are you referring?
    If not to me, then apologies for assuming you were assuming! :)

people in general who think theres such a thing as a cheap made horse. you always end up paying with either money or time. I can see how you thought it was directed at you but it honestly was just a general statement.

Old joke:
    How do you get a small fortune?
    Start with a large one and buy a horse!

yup. my one has more clothes than I do at this stage. :D

Good luck in your search. There are some really nice horses out there for reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

fits wrote: »

i think i may be the only exception to this rule... got a beautiful 10 year old eventer/ schoolmaster mare who has done absolutely everything :) mind you, it took a serious amount of time and numerous horses to get to her with some fairly nasty ones typical of the type mentioned by a few people above; had an ex racehorse and while they are the ones largely being given away; unless you are a seriously ballsy rider with an awful lot of patience, avoid avoid avoid!! trawling through the ads and keeping a close eye on donedeal,. irishhorsetrader, horseplay etc is your best bet - two in my yard just picked up fabulous ponies for nothing from someone who's emigrating. its a case of research and keeping eyes and ears open, you can be lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Irish horse welfare trust,very trustworthy, have heard lots of horror stories lately of people buying horses and few weeks later horse goes badly lame due to some old injury

Advertisement