Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment by qwrong company

Options
  • 08-10-2010 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

After recieving my payslip I realised i was over taxed. I asked our accounts department in work and they said that the revenue had changed by tax credit by almost €10,000. I was shocked at this so I contacted the revenue to which they informed me that their had been a problem with my tax with my previous employer. When she read out the previous employers name it was a company I have never work for. It was actually a recruitment agency I had used in the past. The girl in the tax deleted this from my account. I rang the recruitment agency and they look up their records and it said I was their financial controller. Unfortunately my rent bounced because I was so badly taxed and although I have sorted it with my landlord I am just wondering is there some sort of compensation for a company making such a stupid mistake. And also does the tax man not check that I am actually working somewhere before just taking it off me in tax.

If anyone can advise I would be extremely grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the recruitment company had engaged you with a view to temping or doing contract work with them, then that's probably why they put you up on their system and got your tax details from Revenue.

No, Revenue don't really check that you're working with someone before they put them up on the system - there would be no benefit in doing this and the employee generally has to give personal information to the employer in order for them to do this.

A little bit odd that this would affect your tax though. What were you doing before you talked to the recruitment company? Did you do any work with/for the recruitment company? The only way I could imagine this affecting your tax to a major degree is if Revenue had you down on their system as double-jobbing, with the recruiters using all your tax credits.

There's not really any compensation for this unless you want to take them to court, which would be a big enough deal. Your next pay packet should refund your tax.

Advertisement