Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bull attack kills farmer

Options
  • 08-10-2010 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭

Another tragic story, from the west this time

"A farmer has been gored to death by a bull.
    The 38-year old died in hospital after being gored by the bull in a tragedy which has stunned his close-knit farming community.
    Tomas Tierney was attacked by the bull on the family farm at Cloghans Hill, Kilmaine, Mayo, at milking time on Wednesday evening"

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/farmer-gored-by-bull-loses-fight-for-life-2370542.html

RIP, our thoughts are with his family
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

sad news,

deepest sympathy to his family

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to hear that, watch out lads, especially at dusk, the most dangerous time, esp this time of yr when all cows are in calf. Anyone know what breed it was?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

blue5000 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, watch out lads, especially at dusk, the most dangerous time, esp this time of yr when all cows are in calf. Anyone know what breed it was?

freisan I think i read somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

He was young enough too. Usually more elderly farmers that get caught. Not quick enough to get away - if you can get away.

Very sad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Very sad for a man of only 38 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

That's terrible, my sympathies to his family, friends and neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

freisan I think i read somewhere

yep it was friesian,

my neighbour's fr bull went for him last week, he was lucky he made it to the safety of the tractor,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Was talking to someone today who knows a relative of theirs. His poor Mother saw both him and his father (a few years back), being killed on the farm.
    God, that is rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kealar

RIP........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

RIP

Sympathies to his family & friends

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

snowman707 wrote: »
    yep it was friesian,

This breeds bulls are particulary nasty going on my own experiance and what I've heard from others:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FACT!My Dad was almost done in by one bad temperd SOB Friesian years ago.It was kept permantly on a drag chain through the nose ring even before the incident.They day after that incident the bull took up a new career..In Mc Donalds.:D
    Heartfelt sympathities to the surviving members of the family.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Rip to this poor guy.

I often get laughed at for having, I wont say fear, but being more cautious than others around bulls, but it really isn't worth becoming complacent around them.

I hear fresians are especcially untrustworthy, but any of them can turn nasty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

RIP Sadly this guys father died tragically in the 90s when he got cut with a silage knife. that poor woman and her family has the sympathy of the country, tragic for a hard working farm family

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

cedan wrote: »

I hear fresians are especcially untrustworthy, but any of them can turn nasty imo.

Back in the 90's I got to visit Maynooth college's famous freisian herd - I'll allways remember the head lad saying that they kept the bull under lock and key, he was that dangerous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

My father always said to me, 'never trust a bull'.

I am wary of bulls, however my mother was attacked by a dairy cow years ago, she was bringing them in for milking and one cow just went for and could have killed her, she called the dog - a great cattle dog and he came and put manners on the cow.
    Needless to say the career of that cow was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Glanton

R.I.P.

Sympathy to his family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Min wrote: »
    My father always said to me, 'never trust a bull'.

Around here it's "never trust a quiet bull"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Around here it's "never trust a quiet bull"
    +1 on that, the dodgy fu**ers are always known about but the quiet ones always surprise. Best thing is a good dog to run them from time to time. RIP to that poor man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

i never trusted any friesian bull we had whats frightening is when you see them run compared with any other breed :eek: Im almost certain id be dead if i had to leg it across a field not to mind the father yet he refuses to get himself a quad or a decent dog to do the herding :rolleyes: he has a dog but the things a coward and the cows chase him and he hides behind you :mad:. Got caught out by 12 cows one day all in a circle turned kicked the dog to get him away from me then legged it out through the cows :D nothing worse than a bad dog around animals they need to be able put manners on cows
    or theyre a liability
    Rest in peace to the poor lad though and particularly sorry for the mother finding him and then the husband only a while before

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

I was talking to my uncle (who's from Mayo) last night and he informed me that the deceased man went in to separate 2 bulls which were fighting and then the Friesian one turned on him.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BikingChick

While many know a cow can turn on you once the calves are born in defence or as a protective measure towards their young, bulls seem to have a temperament all of their own. A young farmer I know in Wales had (with his parents) reared a half dozen or so calves from a few months old & had them in an enclosure for feeding time. Most of them were quite friendly & started coming towards him after feeding & he'd rub their foreheads. One of them, a black Lim, suddenly pushed its way into the rest & headbutted him in the chest, sending him backwards. He thought it was seeking attention too, but it came at him again, headbutting him again in the chest and sending him backwards with more force. At this stage I realised the only escape route was a very large and very wide 12 ft high metal door, with no means to climb it! This was totally out of character for any of the cattle so he warned his parents about the incident. I had a healthy respect for cattle after that. There's no accounting for what an animal may do, even if you've been with them since they were young..

RIP to the poor young farmer & the deepest of sympathy to his family & friends.

Advertisement