Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten bathroom behaviour

Options
  • 08-10-2010 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hey guys

just fostering a kitten for 3 weeks, he is 10 weeks old, he is so playful and the most loveable little thing, we are having a great time with him

we have him 3 days and on the sheet(this is the main FAQs we get with him) it did say his poo will be runny due to change in environemt for 2-3 days, now they are solid so i am happy he is ok now. since day one he has been going in his poop tray, and we have been keeping this tray clean for him on a regular bases.

my problem is he is pooping on the carpet at night. we leave him in the living room (door closed)to sleep which is big, cosy and safe for him. i work at 6am so i do be running out the door and dont distrub him, my partner gets up early to play with him before work. when fostering i made the people aware he will be on his own for 5 hours until i arrive home, they said this was fine. the second i get in he is by my side and has the run of the house if he wishes.

is there anything more i should be doing? or is there anything im missing? any suggestions are helpful. thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is the tray in the living room with him at night? If you're moving it in with him you may have to "show him" where the tray is - ie pop him in the tray and take his paw and scrape at the litter.

PS well done for fostering the little guy :) And well done to the other boardies who foster too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

hey, the tray is always in the living room, he know where it is trust me lol.

i always had dogs so this is my first time with a cat. i heard they are very clean but just wondering why he does this only at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello, fostering is great. Mind you i just done it and i cant say i will be in a rush to do it again but that is due to the crowd not the kitty.

We had had a kitten too and he was great so much fun around the house, we have a dog also and I think she is really upset that he is gone.Very depressed looking..

But anywho back to it, we were the same we used to work 9 - 5.30 so the kitten was left with more or less the free run of the house, bar the kitchen for the day.

He was really good with his litter we had it in the bathroom and he always used it and we made sure it was cleaned out all the time. But on saying that he still used to poop in the bath by the drain and also once or twice in the sink, nowhere else.

I think sometimes perhaps you do not see that they have lets say peed in the litter tray as they cover it up so well, and cats are perticulary clean they do not like dirty or smelly trays. So this is probably it, if she has not been going anywhere else except for the spot on the carpet I would not worry it is just her other area. Only shame is it is carpet but then what to do, you could chance another small tray perhaps in that area.

Advertisement