Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Justice

Options
  • 07-10-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Most threads on AH that feature a crime bring about responses that range from 'hang'em high' to 'its our fault as a society'

What do yis all think about this one? Guy I know well lives in a a small part of an area thats been plagued by break-ins in the last few weeks. A dozen houses have been done with cash/valuables taken.

There's been a suspicion that all these break-ins were the work of two junkie brothers from the area, but nobody saw anything.

His two mates were in their mothers house the other day (about noon) when they saw these lads checking out the side entrance, so they hid upstairs to see what would happen. Sure enough, the two junkies got in through the back door. The two brothers 'went to town' on the junkies, and dragged them out of the gaff and left them on a field outside.

Word got around, and another victim of a break-in went out and gave the two of them another hiding. 'Bevelled' them is what I heard, and left them for an ambulance.

Apparently they have plenty of priors - needle hold ups etc.

Justice?

I think so. There was no Guilford Four about this one. Caught red-handed, in someones house. Might think twice next time.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly when they get out of hospital recovered, they will probably go bad to their old and crooked ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

public humiliation like they do in some places up north,like stand outside local shops with a sign on their chests saying something like "we are scum who stole from our own community" type thing isn't a bad idea either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can't say i'm bothered by it, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Biggins wrote: »
    Sadly when they get out of hospital recovered, they will probably go bad to their old and crooked ways.

And possibly go looking for revenge. I don't think I'd want scumbag junkies with infected needles bearing a grudge against me.

Einhard wrote: »
    And possibly go looking for revenge. I don't think I'd want scumbag junkies with infected needles bearing a grudge against me.

thats why you break their legs again at the hospital entrance,junkies are little girls anyway,not to mention it takes them five minutes between throwing a punch and making contact due to their crap movement skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Oh that is so terrible,they should have been reported to the local law enforcement so that they could get 6 months probation for the 50th time and a years supply of needles and methadone.The people who assaulted these two socially deprived and obviously misguided youths should be sued for a bajillion euro which could be given to the poor victims by way of compensation for the trauma.Your evil friends should have their house sold to pay for rehabilitation and they should be locked up for assault for at least 6 years........

thats what the little fellow in white on my left shoulder thinks,the lad in red on my right shoulder thinks if they are still breathing your mates didnt finish the job properly,I am inclined to agree with the red side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Even tho they haven't stole from me i would have given them a sneaky kick had i been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cloud89

I think we should just find some fairly sparcley populated area of ireland and copy the plan that the british had. Take the land of all the scum and built a big wall around the Connemara and Ship them all in promising loads of drugs and let them die a horrible death. All they are is scum, The only thing I have;nt decided is wheter I would send the Bankers and Developers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

well, i don't really have a problem with them getting a hidin' after being caught in someones house, but for someone to go out and give them another hidin' just seems, pathetic?

Cloud89 wrote: »
    I think we should just find some fairly sparcley populated area of ireland and copy the plan that the british had. Take the land of all the scum and built a big wall around the Connemara and Ship them all in promising loads of drugs and let them die a horrible death. All they are is scum, The only thing I have;nt decided is wheter I would send the Bankers and Developers too.

I say to hell or connaught myself,the latter being a more severe punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Einhard wrote: »

Very good point. From what I heard though, they are hardly organised crime, and the whole community is looking out for them.

Its sad in a way that cash for gear drove them to it, but they've destroyed the lives of the people they broke into. Some were pretty elderly.

I knew a few in the past who did something similar and genuinely didn't know what the fuss was. 'Sure I only needed a bit of money' etc.

Maybe the spell in A&E will make them think twice more than any suspended sentence ever will?

well, i don't really have a problem with them getting a hidin' after being caught in someones house, but for someone to go out and give them another hidin' just seems, pathetic?

I'm honestly just telling it as I heard it but he was the son of elderly victims of a similar break in. Which could have been unrelated -hence the whole mob justice thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

CL32 wrote: »
    I'm honestly just telling it as I heard it but he was the son of elderly victims of a similar break in. Which could have been unrelated -hence the whole mob justice thing.

oh i believe you! i just don't really agree with the second beating. they were dragged out, so i assume they were in a bit of a state when they were left in the field. i don't see why another beating was necessary? it just seems wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This
    but for someone to go out and give them another hidin' just seems, pathetic?
    +
    he was the son of elderly victims of a similar break in.

= Perfectly legitimate in my book.

If my folks were in their 60s 70s or 80s and were victims of a break in from useless cnut junkies I would have no qualms about 'having a quiet word with them' while they were already lying in pain in a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Junkies, they aren't thinking rationally.

The day they get released from hospital they will be robbing again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Isn't Ireland great?

On one hand we have an ultra-lenient penal system with light sentencing.

And on the other, we have applause for vigil-antis who beat up junky housebreakers & people who shoot travelers in the back.

Surely there must be some middle ground between the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Brought up in a area where it's common and I'm in two-minds.

I can't argue against the people who terrorize their communities getting battered (actually fuck it, I like it) when there is a policing vacuum and I find the hand-wringing (from people who have no idea what it's like to live in places like that) irritating but but when you see who dishes it out (SF, local hard-cases) you still feel a distaste about the genie you're letting out of the bottle.

Isn't Ireland great?

On one hand we have an ultra-lenient penal system with light sentencing.

And on the other, we have applause for vigil-antis who beat up junky housebreakers & people who shoot travelers in the back.

Surely there must be some middle ground between the two?

Your posts on that poor polish bloke who died the other day got me thinking. Its probably the reason I took the plunge on AH (no previous threads here) and stuck this one up instead of talking about it over the canteen table in work.

I'm no death penalty exponent. I'm pretty streetwise and I've seen a lot. I just think its beginning to get out of hand. I'm not worried about lads on junk anymore, crack is the elephant in the room IMHO. I see it and it won't be long till the red tops are full of it too.

Throw the slashed social welfare into the mix after 9th Dec. I think we'll see more break ins and more threads like this on AH.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Find a disused swimming pool that could hold a few hungry sharks.

Hang a few junkies\skangers\convicted criminals over the swimming pool ever so slightly out of reach.

Whip the sharks up into a feeding frenzy and drop the junkies in one at a time and watch them fizz. I for one would pay an admission fee to watch any skankbag with a list of convictions as long as your arm getting their just rewards.

It worked for the romans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

. There was no Guilford Four about this one. Caught red-handed, in someones house. Might think twice next time.

TBH no, I such a view which is strong here shows a very poor understanding of criminality. I spent a lot of time working with those involved from very minor to very serious criminality. The best result that might occur is they will stop their activity in that area for a short time, therefore only pushing the problem into another area.

I know loads of client who experienced "community policing" and give that option or some jail time they will generally take the first. As for jails being holiday camps, I don't think anybody who has seen inside M/Joy would agree. I reckon that at least one inmate in one of our jails is stabbed each week, but the redtops would rather report what they get for their X-mas dinner. Keep an eye out in the papers just before x-mas, I bet you get a report on the x-mas dinner.

There always was but there does seem to be an increase in "junkie hatred around here recently. Addiction can come knocking on anybody's door; it's interesting to see people’s viewpoint change when a family member gets caught up in it.

This does not mean I don't believe in jail time, my work sometimes means I make professional visits to our jails, anyone I have every "visited" there, deserves to be there, I get to see some of the issues behind the criminality, and tbh if I experienced some of the issues I encounter I would probably want to be off my cake most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm not worried about lads on junk anymore, crack is the elephant in the room.

Crack?

Forgive my lack of knowledge but I thought that was mainly an American issue and it largely died out after the 1990's

I'm completely open to being corrected and learning more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

On the other thread, I've expressed my objection to the gardaí being able to administer beatings, but not out of sympathy for the guy in question, rather a distaste for the idea of a police force having that kind of power. However, different story here... to a point - vigilanteism getting too out of hand is just another form of thuggery.

I'm not worried about lads on junk anymore, crack is the elephant in the room. I see it and it won't be long till the red tops are full of it too.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think you are wrong. I work in a treatment facility; there is no evidence of a serious increase in crack use. I know think is AH but you got a reference for that? I'm conscious I quote you twice in a few minutes, I'm not trying to attack you, but I just can't agree with what you’re saying

Crack?

Forgive my lack of knowledge but I thought that was mainly an American issue and it largely died out after the 1990's

I'm completely open to being corrected and learning more

No crack use is a issue, but not a serious one at the moment and there are no signs of it becoming so, the biggest problem from a treatment viewpoint is benzos and has been for a few years.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    thats why you break their legs again at the hospital entrance,junkies are little girls anyway,not to mention it takes them five minutes between throwing a punch and making contact due to their crap movement skills.

I like my martial arts and can take care of myself, yes with some people you are correct, but we have lots of CCTV footage of lads going for it in our car park. There are some lads out there that could do a lot of damage, remember some of these guys are involved in serious violent crime.

So I wouldn't bet my health on your statement. My training in self-defence started because of the violence that we sometimes encounter, the CCTV stuff I'm referring to would be in-house fighting. I have to break up a few of these, so believe me just being an addict would not realistically equate with such poor fighting skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have they tried to sue yet? Wouldn't be surprised. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is what happens with a revolving door penal system, powerless/unwilling Gardai and a crap judiciary. Fairplay to the local residents for doing something, people can only bend over like sheep for so long.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I think you are wrong. I work in a treatment facility; there is no evidence of a serious increase in crack use. I know think is AH but you got a reference for that? I'm conscious I quote you twice in a few minutes, I'm not trying to attack you, but I just can't agree with what you’re saying

Hi Odysseus,

I don't have a reference so I'll edit my post to say IMHO. My best mate is in the same line of work as you. He started out in a needle exchange off the quays and did a stint in Forest or something in Wicklow (?). He says the same as you about crack regarding people presenting for treatment - but he agrees he is hearing about it more and more. What I am hearing scares the **** out of me.

Its off topic though and I probably should have said 'well known' brothers because 'junkie' is pretty emotive. The gist of the story still stands though.

Ner' do wells break into house. Suffer beating. Repeated beating. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Most threads on AH that feature a crime bring about responses that range from 'hang'em high' to 'its our fault as a society'

What do yis all think about this one? Guy I know well lives in a a small part of an area thats been plagued by break-ins in the last few weeks. A dozen houses have been done with cash/valuables taken.

There's been a suspicion that all these break-ins were the work of two junkie brothers from the area, but nobody saw anything.

His two mates were in their mothers house the other day (about noon) when they saw these lads checking out the side entrance, so they hid upstairs to see what would happen. Sure enough, the two junkies got in through the back door. The two brothers 'went to town' on the junkies, and dragged them out of the gaff and left them on a field outside.

Word got around, and another victim of a break-in went out and gave the two of them another hiding. 'Bevelled' them is what I heard, and left them for an ambulance.

Apparently they have plenty of priors - needle hold ups etc.

Justice?

I think so. There was no Guilford Four about this one. Caught red-handed, in someones house. Might think twice next time.

Don't feel sorry for them.
    But i wouldn't, on the strength of this tale, be recommending that we disregard the millennium's worth of philosophy, enlightenment thinking and all-around human experience, that has led to our current system of justice; imperfect as the Irish take on it may be.
    What do i think of it?
    Cool story bro, as some around here sometimes say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I really lose the hjead if i think some wanker is going to break into my place, i always keep a butchers knife my my bedside because ive had trouble a few monts ago where some boy racers stoped outside my place at 3 in the morning i was not best pleased and had my knife in hand a i went to tackle them, nothing but we will get you and such, i lost the head and have heard the same car driving by slowly a few time since bring it ****ing on ill sort em. They wont stop again i reckon because they got a right fright.

Advertisement