Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Moon Landscape', Namib Desert, Namibia (C&C)

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

5004133297_5ac076ac17_o.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shanona

i love the colors! really beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Did you shoot RAW? the image is a bit washed out,

I know It probably wasn't possible but if there was someone in the shot to give it perspective it would have added to it.

Was there another angle possible that would have made the immediate foreground more interesting?

Shooting at sunrise/ sunset would have been ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thanks for posting! I like the photo as it has a real 'alien' quality. For me there are some things missing though...

- The light is very harsh & flat. As an earlier poster mentioned, a sunrise/sunset photo would be more powerful.

- The sky is a bit washed out - a polariser would have helped here.

- It is very difficult to grasp the scale. If a familiar oblect ( a person, jeep, camel, etc) was included somewhere that would be helpful to the viewer.

Thanks, FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose, personally, I like this photo because, well, this part of the Namib Desert is called the 'Moon Landscape'. I wanted to be faithful to the scene. I wanted to bring out the muted colours of the place, how utterly vast and 'dimensionless' it can feel when you're there. I'm not sure some person/car/etc. in the shot would explain anything against the vastness of the place. Like someone mentioned, it feels a little unreal. I like that in the photo. It's simple.

To me, some of the suggestions above are a bit clichéed. But it depends what photographers inspire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Personally I love it because it basically does look like the "moon landscape"

A sunrise/sunset might be prettier but then it'd just look like a desert - the blue sky just makes it more - well like the moon..

a car/person would have made the picture look like a desert - not the moon...

I love this pic - and when I seen it first it somehow looked like it was a picture from the 70s 80s - early colour shot or something - dunno if you meant that but that was the very first thing I though when I seen it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Personally I love it because it basically does look like the "moon landscape"

A sunrise/sunset might be prettier but then it'd just look like a desert - the blue sky just makes it more - well like the moon..

a car/person would have made the picture look like a desert - not the moon...

I love this pic - and when I seen it first it somehow looked like it was a picture from the 70s 80s - early colour shot or something - dunno if you meant that but that was the very first thing I though when I seen it
    Definitely one of the things I like about the shot is that early colour 1970s feel! Thanks for noticing! It's a period of photography I love, but also it feels a little like some contemporary (arty?) landscape photography.*

*Bear in mind, all photos need some level of post-processing. So some extent, I altered the image in RAW Editor until I felt, 'That's the money', but the only adjustment I made in this case was to saturation and levels.

Advertisement