Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sky take your old box away?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Got Sky coming in 2 weeks to install a new HD box, to replace a normal Sky + box.
    I want to move the Sky + box upstairs, but the wife reckons they will insist on taking it away?
    She says thats what happened to other friends and family.

Can they do that? I thought the dish and the box was ours, especially as after 3 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

you should be more than entitled to keep the box. Just unplug it and put it away before he comes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's yours.

Remove it before hand to avoid awkward moments as some less scrupulous installers do remove them and sell them on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Have had a few upgrades in my time and not once have I been asked for the box.

To be sure as the previous poster says, unplug and move it out of the way for the engineer. Sure your giving him a hand after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Nope, unlike UPC, with Sky you own the Box, the Box is your property. With UPC you rent the box, the router etc.

So they won't take your box. And if you want a Sky + box I can give you one for free, but they won't take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thanks, thats what I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Its yours to keep after 12month contract...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭limericklassy

steveon wrote: »
    Its yours to keep after 12month contract...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

The box is yours but I'd recommend a customer doesn't remove any equipment prior to an instalation, leave it for the installer to do, as you could be creating more work and problems.
    Once the installer has ascertained your current set up, ie how all your other equipment and possible magic eyes are connected and removed the box, then, by all means take it away.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

kbell wrote: »
    The box is yours but I'd recommend a customer doesn't remove any equipment prior to an instalation, leave it for the installer to do, as you could be creating more work and problems.
    Once the installer has ascertained your current set up, ie how all your other equipment and possible magic eyes are connected and removed the box, then, by all means take it away.

Nothing is bad as getting to an install to find that the customer has disconnected everything only to get a phone call later from the customer to say ( what ever you done with the TV ) now this don't work and the TV in the bedroom don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

kbell wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

On the other hand if one wants them to take the old box away (WEEE directive and all that) can one insist on them doing so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Yes Mike if someone requests us to take an old box away we have to do so...

Advertisement