Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Production term that bugs me most at the moment is...

Options
  • 07-10-2010 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Sonic Arsenal. Even typing it gives me the rage.

What production terms get on your wick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Mastering. Over rated.

Getting your eqs right. Nonsense.

I like "sonic arsenal" though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

'Pop Sensibility' ..... Phuck Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Raw/lo-fi/minimalist all piss me off

'our style' = we don't want to play in time or tune

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

"Urban" when used to describe anything that doesn't originate in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

'making beats' - term used by someone who doesn't have a fuking clue how music is made on a DAW, so they call the process 'making beats'.

+1 for sonic arsenal, has to be the most annoying of them all, I have seen it floating around threads over the last while.

So Dav what have you got in your 'sonic arsenal'?

I have a plug in called 'STFU'..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah making beats is a blood boiler.

another term that is being used worldwide in everything (but especially in music production circles) is 'taking it to the next level' etc.
    Makes my teeth grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

+100 for Making / selling beats !! suck my bag....

m_63526e049e774b56e32f4c1a58b908cb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Why y'all trippin'? Making beats sounds really urban and should be part of everybody's sonic arsenal.

'It's got an urban feel drum wise with a pinch of pop sensibility however we play in our own style, our producer makes the beats and he always mix's with a raw lo-fi sound and has a bigger sonic arsenal than the US army'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

jtsuited wrote: »
    'taking it to the next level' etc.
    Makes my teeth grind.
    Mine too! It's utterly meaningless marketting drivel, based on the assumption that the consumer is ignorant and won't realise that there isn't actually another level to go to. Reminds me of:

Going forward

Pre booked (in advance)

The foreseeable future

Aaaaaargh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

madtheory wrote: »
    It's utterly meaningless marketting drivel, based on the assumption that the consumer is ignorant and won't realise that there isn't actually another level to go to.

Oh yes there is!

madtheory wrote: »
    Going forward

ALWAYS used by somebody who's just fcuked up and is in a place of power - politicians, managers, etc.

Right we fcuked up bad, everything's fcuked, and we want to completely deflect the focus so there's no accountability or responsibility taken. How will we phrase this??? oh, here it is.......'going forward, our main priority is x, and we will continue to push ahead with y, for the good of everyone that is doing z'.

Guarantee if you listen to the radio for the next week you'll hear at least 3 politicians say some variation of the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

woodsdenis wrote: »
    "Urban" when used to describe anything that doesn't originate in the USA.

It is used in the US. It's a way of saying music made by black people - without sounding racist.

Because in US cities all the black people live in the cities - while the white people live in the suburbs or countryside. It's the same with London. The vast majority of black people in England live in London. So music that comes out of London made mostly by black people - DrumNbass, Dubstep, etc is called Urban.

One word I absolutely hate - that used to mean something is the "I" word; I****.

Oh and Motorik. A while back every indie band was claiming to have a Motorik drum beat and it was over used in music reviews because idiots thought it was cool. The vast majority of indie bands never have a Motorik beat. It's an old German term for electronic music using and electronic drum machine playing as if it's being run by a motor.

Urban's always a dodgy one.

Because you can't really say 'Music made by black people'. So maybe you could say 'Music of Black Origin'? This phrase was used in the 90's for about 2 weeks until they noticed that everyone from the Beatles to Mos Def were technically making 'Music of Black Origin'.

I actually think Urban has seriously racist overtones. It really means 'black music which is intellectually devoid of any substance, but let's not concentrate on that, let's concentrate on the race issue'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Because you can't really say 'Music made by black people'. So maybe you could say 'Music of Black Origin'? This phrase was used in the 90's for about 2 weeks until they noticed that everyone from the Beatles to Mos Def were technically making 'Music of Black Origin'.

I actually think Urban has seriously racist overtones. It really means 'black music which is intellectually devoid of any substance, but let's not concentrate on that, let's concentrate on the race issue'.

Well it's also like the term RnB. Which came to describe any music made by black people - but has nothing to do with Rhythm and Blues.

The BBC use the term Urban. They even have an Urban music radio station.

They are very racist terms.

You have to remember a lot of people are incredibly racist even if they don't realise it themselves. It has got worse. English radio has become more ghettoized over recent years. It's become more like American radio, where all the music on one channel will be all by white people, and another all black people. It's the same with MTV. The segregation in music culture (English) just wasn't there a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Yeah I have to say the term R'n'B wrecks my head the way it's used these days. Since when did R'n'B become crap pop songs sung by black female singers with rapping thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

What did I start

Urban contemporary is a music radio format. The term was coined by the late New York DJ Frankie Crocker in the mid 1970s. Urban contemporary radio stations feature a playlist made up entirely of hip hop/rap, contemporary R&B, pop, electronica and Caribbean music such as reggae, reggaeton and sometimes soca (In Toronto, London, New York City, Boston and Miami). Urban contemporary was developed through the characteristics of genres such as R&B and Soul[1]. Virtually all Urban contemporary formatted radio stations are located in cities that have sizeable African-American populations, such as Los Angeles, California, New York City, Atlanta, Georgia, Chicago, Fayetteville, North Carolina, Charlotte, and Norfolk, Virginia, etc.

is broadly what I understand it to be, an American radio format which is misused to describe a lot of other stuff. It is part of American culture not European. Its used as a term to make our music more hip. I dont know that in the American context it is a racist term, the fact is that most music in this genre is made by and listened to by African-Americans.

RnB in its current incarnation is an American radio format too, like AOR.

The fact is that real RnB bears no relation to what the radio format incarnation plays.

Its all down to trying to categorize music for American radio, have a look at the Billboard American charts and you will see what I mean.

ah ok, I was referring to it in the UK context. Where basically 'urban' really means 'black and fairly sh1te'.

oh btw, the adjective 'urban' is used instead of 'black' when cops are chasing an African American over a ditch. Remember that show 'Cops'?

• Advertisement

'urban' ? ........ never as bad as 'rural' !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    'urban' ? ........ never as bad as 'rural' !

What about country;) Is that not racist?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

RnB was a term made up to replace the use of the term "race music". it was a straight swop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

krd wrote: »
    One word I absolutely hate - that used to mean something is the "I" word; I****.
    I'm guess that word is
    Indie
    . Am I right?

Just came across a new one from a thread I was reading:

''I messed around with the demo for a considerable amount of time. In the end I found that I had a hard time making it sound "full".

Don't get me wrong, it sounds lovely, almost hifi. I'm loving the individual kit pieces.

In the end I think it could be me approaching this thing from the wrong angle cos I couldnt get it to take up proper sonic
    realestate.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PulsW

"So me a one of my buddies plan on making some music together, so what do I need to start making beats and recording some synths etc. We plan on doing experimental IDM type stuff so tell us what programs will make let us make music like that".

Not really a 'production term' in itself, but whenever I see a post like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

In response to many posts on the subject of "urban".

I get a totally different feeling from the word.
    I find that music considered to be urban, minus the vocals (if there are any) is impersonal, solid, gray (not in a bad way) and urban.

I would say race is irrelevant or coincidental.

Advertisement