Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does ∼ mean on land registry map?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to find out what that symbol " ∼ " depicts on the OS 25" land registry map . Mostly I see it on what I assume are doorways to houses but in other places too like roadways and fields. Does it represent an entrance of some sort? or maybe a control point for surveying equipment?

The symbol itself is a little bigger than the one above.
    Thanks Wazzo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Seems to be consistently located around footpaths and ditches and ponds - that kind of thing. Maybe it indicates that they're drawn "freehand" or by eye rather than surveyed precisely as the boundaries and buildings might have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

There are a few old houses near me, and my own house pre-dates the map, the symbol corresponds with the entrances to the houses where it intersects them, but the symbols do appear in other places even the middle of roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Thinks the term is used in maths, though its two of the symbols, one on top of the other, indicating rounded values ie. 4.77~5 or 9.13~9. I would assume that its not exact measurements

Kind of used as an equal sign, but to show that some accuracy has been lost. As someone said, maybe its been drawn freehand or maybe no exact measurement has been readily available so they just guessed

x

• Registered Users Posts: 41 irjudge

Looks like the Area Brace Symbol to me. Used by the OS to identify adjacent features which have been measured together to give parcel areas.

• Advertisement

irjudge wrote: »
    Looks like the Area Brace Symbol to me. Used by the OS to identify adjacent features which have been measured together to give parcel areas.

thats's the one. thanks! Wazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bornio

That symbol that you are inquiring about signifies that line attached to that symbol is included in the field area.

bornio wrote: »
    That symbol that you are inquiring about signifies that line attached to that symbol is included in the field area.

Thanks, that was an old question!! I eventually discovered what it meant. I had asked many professionals, solicitors, engineers and architects. It's surprising how many didn't have a clue!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bornio wrote: »

Please dont open zombie threads again.

Advertisement