Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costa Coffee Jetland?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Does anyone know why Costa Coffee has closed in Jetland?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Which one is Costa Coffee?

The one near the Lidl side of the Jetland or the one near the McDonalds side?

If the latter, then it was open at the start of the week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Costa is the one on the McDonald's side. BBs have an outlet at the other end, which is definitely still open (I was there a few hours ago).

I hadn't even noticed if Costa was open or closed at the time.
    lasno, was there a sign up or anything when you saw the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Costa is the one on the McDonald's side. BBs have an outlet at the other end, which is definitely still open (I was there a few hours ago).

I hadn't even noticed if Costa was open or closed at the time.
    lasno, was there a sign up or anything when you saw the place?

Cheers. The one at the McD's side was defo open on either Monday or Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Was No signs up, Costa and the Jean scene are both closed, everything elas is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Probably environmental issue if both places closed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's fairly strange alright. JeanScene would usually be gearing up for their busiest period of the year around now. Considering they're next-door neighbours, there's a chance they could both be suffering plumbing problems or a leaky roof or something. I'll have a look down there tomorrow morning and see if anything's changed by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Just me 2 cents for costa coffee, it's nearly empty during the week. This may have sthg to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Aren't there two new costa coffee places opening somewhere else in Limerick? Thought i saw it mentioned on a thread here. Maybe they have packed up the Jetland one. Thought it was expensive myself and always very quiet. A more reasonable price coffee place or food outlet would do well in the Jetland, Subway as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

There is a new Costa opening in the Crescent in a few weeks, I heard a rumor about the one in jetland, prob shouldnt say it on here, but anyway will see if it opens tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Front of Leader said they are locked due to a dispute with the owners of the premises, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

more landlords putting the squeeze on?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

lasno wrote: »
    There is a new Costa opening in the Crescent in a few weeks, I heard a rumor about the one in jetland, prob shouldnt say it on here, but anyway will see if it opens tomorrow.

Are you sure you dont mean Childers road because they are building a place specifically for them down by Pizza hut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Berty wrote: »
    Are you sure you dont mean Childers road because they are building a place specifically for them down by Pizza hut.
    Sounds like a bizarre spot for a Costa Coffee! Altho if you wanted some goats milk you'd be set. Free range and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

langdang wrote: »
    Sounds like a bizarre spot for a Costa Coffee! Altho if you wanted some goats milk you'd be set. Free range and all!

LOL. Straight from the teat!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

I was outside costa coffee the other night.... say a contractor putting large chains and padlocks on the doors while being supervised by the security officer from jetland sc...

It seemed pretty strange at the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭RINO87

......shur the costa coffee in that place is rediculous anyway!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

ba-dum-tish....!

Appropriate name alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

In one of the industry mags last month The Jetland and Castletroy are both in the bottom ten of shopping centres in large urban areas in terms of footfall and unit occupancy.

Just guessing but I wonder was the landlord looking to implement one of the infamous upwards only rent reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Over 20 staff have a meeting with their employers this afternoon about their future.

Will it be another empty 3 units in the Jetland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Working in another unit in jetland was terrible to see the staff turn up for work and that all they locks were changed, they were all in a state!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was out there tonight and looking through the window. A lot of stock is still in place, bug zapper is on. It just looks like it closed early.

Costa is a fairly successful chain. The Jetland, however, is not a successful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not wishing bad luck to the the employees but I find Casta over rated and expensive for what you get.

there still charging celtic tiger prices for their coffee!!

padma wrote: »
    there still charging celtic tiger prices for their coffee!!

Sounds more like landlord charging celtic tiger rent.
    It will be so easy for them to fill the units in Jetland NOT.

Feel really sorry for all the staff, its not just costa, 2 other shops too.

well, as any viable business knows, if you cant make a profit from the place you got to high tail it. I mean the place was usually empty for a good couple of hours a day. add the cost of the 2 staff there, food, coffee supplies etc i'd wonder were they making anything at all. Add the high rent too.

If the reason the coffee was so expensive is because of high rent, they'd do well to leave the place. The coffee is supposed to entice people in there to buy more, and if it's so expensive it means less people are gonna buy it which in turn effects business.

My guess is when they originally did their business plan 2;80 for a medium latte was what they could get for their coffee at the time. However its not 2007 anymore. People do have less money to spend and if they couldn't knock down their prices to get to more customers something is amiss.

There are coffee shops in Grafton Street Dublin where the rent is the highest in the WORLD and they manage to keep their prices reasonable. However they do have a far greater footfall.

From what i heard they did not close, the 3 shops were locked out.

it's certainly bad carry on anyway Munstergirl, whatever the particulars. Can a landlord do this? Then again you just don't know what the real story is until it comes out.

No idea what the real story is, just feel sorry for the staff, must have been a right shock to go to work + be locked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Yeah my sympathy would be with the workers. They can't be held responsible for the prices. I always found it a bit dear but it was nice coffee and a nice quiet place to relax. Maybe that was the problem, it was a bit too quiet. Doesn't look good though for the future of Jetland, if things have reached this stage.

Advertisement