Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Winds Off The West Coast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The first proper storm and it gets blocked/stalled hundreds of miles away from us. :rolleyes:

Hope this isnt as close as we will get to a good windstorm this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's about 700 miles away and may close to about 500 mile before weakening and merging into a double low.

I think we're getting some dirt off this as it is and more over the next week and IMO, it will influence us directly in about one week's time ~ but not as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it would be absolutely brilliant if we could get a sustained blocking high to the east in two months time with a deep area of low pressure, like the one currently situated off the west coast, only this time it makes some inroads over the south of Ireland before being sent packing back out to the Atlantic. it could be a winter to remember for snow lovers if this was a continual occurrence throughout the winter. am i asking for too much? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

She's a beauty alright.

130205.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

So near yet so far :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

What wind speed would you expect from that? Looks nasty

Are all Wind Barbs in Knots?

I just realised that we can expect 30Kt winds from this, 55km/h 34 mph
    Gale Force 7

And it still as far away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How many days off is that system?

How many days off is that system?

Its not coming near us,its blocked by the high to our east.

It will sink and lose strength

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

redsunset wrote: »
    It will sink and lose strenght

Excellent, I have plans to lap up some radiation and warmth for myself this weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Just getting the edge of it now, the wind has really picked up here (coast of West Cork) some really nice gusts.
    As usual the south easterly has caused a bit of flooding with the evening high tide. Excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Was out and about in Riverstick direction (exposed and elevated fields) this evening. Good gusts alright. Can't say what force or speed. But you'd want to hold the old jeep door tightly or you'd loose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It was fairly gusty around here at 1800 hrs.

Yeah it's such a pity that even though the centre of low is out to sea,we are receiving a glancing blow but feck all compared to what might of been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just getting the edge of it now, the wind has really picked up here (coast of West Cork) some really nice gusts.
    As usual the south easterly has caused a bit of flooding with the evening high tide. Excellent!!

ANY PICTURES? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Iancar29 wrote: »
    ANY PICTURES? :)

I didn't mean the city, only meant round my own area, out wesht.
    A few roads and fields got it, didn't take any pics.
    Nobody round here is daft enough to live too near sea level ;), (except me :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The Maersk Patras was reporting mean windspeeds of 47 knots at 18Z.

130229.png

Of course this would be a great time to have Buoy M6 reporting windspeeds!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

31 mph is the highest gust recorded at M2. so could we expect gusts out at the buoy that isn't operating to be double that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

winds are fairly rough here in cork. along the occasional driving rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭John mac

M3 has it at gust of 49 mph (79 kph ) sounds better in kph. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

,we are receiving a glancing blow but feck all compared to what might of been.

Yep, breezy enough in Galway at the moment with an 18mph mean windspeed and gusting up to 33mph (ESE). Leaves blowing everywhere! Nicely mild and dry though. :)

Edit: make that a 20mph mean windspeed now, increasing all the while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Pretty windy here out by Wilton in cork. Been some really heavy rain as well.
    And from the cork forum there is quite a bit of isolated flooding in the city and straight road apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gusting close to 30mph off Sligo.

Lets just see the current windspeeds on the Weather Station

All in mph

These readings are every 5 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I like this one, it shows the scale of it to the rest of the weather systems.

WEB_sat_ir_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pretty windy here out by Wilton in cork. Been some really heavy rain as well.
    And from the cork forum there is quite a bit of isolated flooding in the city and straight road apparently.

:rolleyes: nothing new there then

there was flooding around city before the rain came high tide was hiiiiiigh at 1/4 to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

John mac wrote: »
    M3 has it at gust of 49 mph (79 kph ) sounds better in kph. :D

I hear you guys talk about the M1, M2 M3 etc Bouys... I assume this is the place you're getting the data from : http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/buoys

Is there any reason why some of the them are not working? other than just poor maintenance? :)

(don't want to go off topic here, sorry)..

EDIT: Ignore my post... just read this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051816 :)

Slightly disappointed with my own wind readings from the WH1081 as I only show a gust of 33.1 kmh.

I know I'm in the lee of my terraced house and my anemometer is just about ten feet off the ground instead of thirty [:D]!! but still the washing was blowing around the line violently.

Most stations near me showed gust of 65 & 89kmh that was last night pre midnight.

Today I tend to agree with the average gust reported from 33.1kmh for me, Cobh and Roches Point the airport shows 48.1 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Yeah it's such a pity that even though the centre of low is out to sea,we are receiving a glancing blow but feck all compared to what might of been.

Why would you want that storm to hit Ireland? It could do some damage and even loss of life, no one in there right mind would want a storm like that to hit us, I'm glad it won't hit us.

200motels wrote: »
    Why would you want that storm to hit Ireland? It could do some damage and even loss of life, no one in there right mind would want a storm like that to hit us, I'm glad it won't hit us.

This is a weather forum, as such it attracts people who love all sorts of weather. The excitement of a vicious storm is thrilling.

People in their right minds will seek information and decide if the approaching storm represents a threat to them or their activities or their property, when enough info is available then people can make their own minds up as to the course of action necessary.

This year and in fact for the last few years the jet stream has been protecting us from the worst storms, but facilitating colder winters, this particular storm was interesting in its sudden escalation and movements.

We need a good storm, we have had several years of massive tree growth in near tropical conditions, tree height has reached unprecedented and unsafe levels ~ they should all be topped.

But that won't happen, and because of the mild climate these trees are weak and tall with poor root systems, we are in a massive danger zone, mostly caused by the lack of strong winds over the last five years.

A strong hurricane would topple most of these overgrown trees in one night, it will happen, better be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Speaking of trees.

Aftermath of the 1987 storm in the UK :

generic_storm_1987_howarth_470x355.jpg

emmetts276.jpg

_44164747_knole416howarth.jpg

_44164744_emmetts416howarth.jpg

Advertisement