Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Tax on Teaching Council Registration

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Anyone know how to go about claiming tax back on the registration fee for the teaching council? Claimed my union subscription on the revenue site but cant find anything about Teaching council. Also how much is refunded? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

is it possible to claim tax back on this reg fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Claregirl5

You can claim tax on the money you paid to the Teaching Council by entering relevant details under Question 43 on Form 12 entitled "Allowable Deductions Incurred in Employment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Isotonic

Thanks for your reply Claregirl. Where do i get said form? is it available online? Can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Hi Isotonic!
    Form 12 is available online at www.ros.ie or at any tax office. Just type "form 12" under Site search (top right of screen, above dark green banner).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

Didn't know you can do this. Cheers.

i know this is off topic but what is the deal with getting textbooks. I'm starting in a school and could do with my own copies of the textbooks? can't find anything online about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Mendoza wrote: »
    Didn't know you can do this. Cheers.

i know this is off topic but what is the deal with getting textbooks. I'm starting in a school and could do with my own copies of the textbooks? can't find anything online about it.

Regarding tax refund on TC fee, I'm not sure you can get tax back now, actually, as when the OP was written we were paying around €90 per year. I paid mine on Monday and it was down to €65.

Regarding textbooks, find out what books they're using already, get your school Roll Number off the school secretary and ring (or order online) the relevant book company - eg Folens, Edco - and ask them to post you a sample copy (access to online resources, if they're available, can also be asked for). It won't cost you anything. If it's urgent the school will probably have spare copies lying around so you could use them instead (although I'd tend to keep them as spares for kids who forget books).

Actually here's the precise situation now regarding getting a tax refund on your €65 Teaching Council fee:

Q10: Is tax relief available on the annual renewal fee?

Income tax relief applies to the Teaching Council's annual registration renewal fee. The tax credit is added to the teacher’s flat-rate expense allowance. This means that the annual registration renewal fee of €65 (for those whose registration renewal falls from January 2013) in real terms is closer to €38 per annum for those paying the higher rate of tax."

Source: TCI: Frequently Asked Questions

In other words go to Revenue's PAYE Anytime website and claim your flat-rate expense allowance. I think I got around €170 put straight into my account earlier this year from claiming it ( I wrote a thread somewhere here about it).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you claim those expenses if you are not currently employed (but have paid the TC)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you don't have any income tax liability in a given year, then a tax relief is no good to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

wasnt there some shenanigans where you used be able to claim it seperatly, but then they said it was added into flat rate expenses... but the flat rate never increased! Did I imagine that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Geuze wrote: »
    If you don't have any income tax liability in a given year, then a tax relief is no good to you.

I don't mean myself personally. I was wondering about people scrabbling for hours week by week, they should still be able to claim it, though without a regular income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Can you get anything back if you just paid the €90 to register with the TC?

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Can you get anything back if you just paid the €90 to register with the TC?

Why would you have to pay €90 if the rest of us are only paying €65?

spurious wrote: »
    I don't mean myself personally. I was wondering about people scrabbling for hours week by week, they should still be able to claim it, though without a regular income.

They should claim it with Revenue, but whether they are paying enough tax to benefit is another issue. They have to pay it regardless of the amount of work they do, according to Questions 12 & 17:

"Q12: I am a part-time teacher/ I do only occasional substitute teaching. Is there a partial fee applicable?

At present, there is a standard renewal fee and the Council’s fee structure does not allow for reduced fees to be levied. Registration provides a license to teach, regardless of how frequently one teaches.

Q17: I am currently out of work. Do I need to maintain my registration?

Even if you are not currently working as a teacher, you should keep your name on the Register, so that when you are offered a teaching job, you can start as soon as possible. If you let your registration lapse at any time, you will have to re-register at least four months in advance of starting work as a teacher again. This means that a standard registration application form and Garda Vetting Form must be completed in all cases. If a teacher has previously provided relevant qualification transcripts, he/she need not submit them a second time.

Section 30 is a requirement within the Teaching Council Act, 2001, that a teacher has to be registered in order to be paid salary from public funds. The Minister for Education and Skills commenced Section 30 on 28 January 2014."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Why would you have to pay €90 if the rest of us are only paying €65?

Its €90 to join the TC for the first time.

Advertisement