Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is cheaper?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

A bunch of my friends are going up to Dublin on Saturday to spend the day there (we're fourth years and bored) and we were wondering:

Which would be cheaper, going from Carlow to Dublin (and back), the bus or the train?

Thanks

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What you should do, for future reference, is look at the prices on the respective Irish Rail and Bus Éireann websites.

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

http://www.buseireann.ie/

<Edit: inaccurate response removed :o >

A student return bus ticket will cost you €9.45, an adult return is €10.80 (if you don't have student I.D.)

The bus is cheaper, but you'll have to get it at either 09:45 or 11:15 if you want to get a decent few hours in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Day return from Carlow to Dublin is €14. €17 if you want luas fare on it. If any of you are under 16 it'll be cheaper.

Haven't gotten the bus in a few years, but the last time I got it I remember it costing more, it took longer and was really cramped.

Not sure where Insect Overlord is getting that figure of €29.80 from, even a monthly return only costs €18.

Edit: If you decide to get the bus in the end, JJ Kavanagh opperate out of Carlow as well as Bus Eireann so that might open up more depature times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not sure where Insect Overlord is getting that figure of €29.80 from, even a monthly return only costs €18.

The cost of a train ticket from Carlow to Dublin, according to irishrail.ie, is €14.90. Paying that each way would cost an adult €29.80. Unless the OP has proof that they are 16 or under, I reckon that's what it would cost to get the train to Dublin and back.

I think you've got your wires crossed. €14.90 is the price for an adult return ticket. It's what I pay every time I use it. And I use it pretty often.

Ah, cool :)

I don't think I've ever even passed through Carlow, never mind got the train there, so I'll have to apologise for my ignorance :o

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever even passed through Carlow, never mind got the train there

Count yourself lucky. :D

(I kid, I kid :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Thanks for the responses guys! =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

A bunch of my friends are going up to Dublin on Saturday to spend the day there (we're fourth years and bored) and we were wondering:

Which would be cheaper, going from Carlow to Dublin (and back), the bus or the train?

Thanks

:D

get bus eireann up its way cheaper

bus eireann is 11 day return and i think jjs are 11 or 12 im not too sure

i commute carlow to dublin every weekend so from my experiance get the bus

oh and btw bus erireann drop you on the quays at o connell street most of the time and when your going back go to bus aras to get it just follow the luas line towards connolly and you will see it

jjs will stop at the quays too but you will have to walk to the far quays directly opposite bus aras on the other side of the liffey outside the uslter bank there a little sign!!

hope that helped ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

We ended up getting the train after.. It was only like 8 euro return including the Luas into town.. We all managed to pass for fifteen so that might have helped. =P

Advertisement