Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to wait?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all, been lurking for some months now, but decided to post as I think I may have an issue developing.

We hired a local tradesman to do our kitchen, skirting and architraves. He was meant to finish by the last week in July but didn't show. In early august we got a text saying he was sick and was in hospital.

It's now October and still no sign of him to come back, we have not spoken to him since July and all communication has been done via text or through his wife or son.

We have asked that if he's still not feeling up for it if he can send someone else to finish the job for him. Or alternatively give us the materials and we'll get another tradesman to finish it.

Still no word from him and we are wondering how much longer should we wait. We moved into the house in July and having no kitchen is a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

First off, I hope you haven't paid over all monies. It is time to issue an ultimatum, asking for a deadline to finish works, give him 7 days to get back to you. It looks like you have been very accommodating and he has taken advantage. Get your solicitor and supervising Architect/AT/Engineer involved at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First off, I hope you haven't paid over all monies. It is time to issue an ultimatum, asking for a deadline to finish works, give him 7 days to get back to you. It looks like you have been very accommodating and he has taken advantage. Get your solicitor and supervising Architect/AT/Engineer involved at this stage.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pixelFX

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It sounds like you have at least paid him for more materials than he has used so far so you are the 'wrong side of him' so to speak.
    I think you need to wake up and realise that he is not coming back. Can you afford to write off the losses to him as it currently stands. If so, move on and get someone else. If not, give him one last chance before going legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pixelFX

At the moment I would say I am on the wrong side of him. But he has left a lot of tools here in the house 2 large saws, air compressor, nail gun, tool box and other assorted materials.

If I were to walk away from it right now I would be down about 1k maybe 1.5k tops, but I would have the above tools etc.

Have given him 7 days he said he will be back with some extra hands to get it done next week. So we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If he has left the tools, it appears he is not scamming you. Sounds very odd though. The tools would be worth a fair amount of cash, certainly more than you mention.

Dont allow him to turn up for an hour and then clean out tools too.

Advertisement