Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hauppage HDPVR with mac- youtube settings?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 10:10am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just upgraded from the trusty old doomcam to a hauppage, and I'm really satisfied with it, crucially (for fighting games) I can detect zero lag while playing. To say it does the job is an understatement.

Next problem. I want to upload to youtube, obviously.

I am looking at the best way to do this with my mac book pro.

The two programs I have used so far with SD have been iMovie and MPEG Streamclip. Streamclip seems to be really good in particular.

But now no matter what I try exporting from iMovie as high quality as possible I get horrid artifacting. I have '09 and I even try h.264 with mp4 in 1280 720 and it looks crap.

Streamclip is better, I can get reasonable quality by limiting the bit stream to .4 MBps and I get this:

I'm happy with the quality but the size is still a bit of a kicker- this short fight was in excess of 90mb. This took quite a while to upload.

When I start filming tournament play I am going to have roughly 18 much longer matches and I dunno if the length of time is sustainable.

I'm new to all of this so I am wondering if I am missing some trick which will reduce the size further.

If not, I will deal with the cards as they lay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

90mb for 3 and a hlaf minutes of 720p HD footage is actually not bad.

Thats roughly what I'm getting after rendering on PC

Congrats on the PVR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

90MB for 3 minutes for 720p is pretty much the norm. For my DS Let's Play video which I render in 720, I get about that same rate of space/time.

At least you're not doing 1080, that's working out for me at about 75MB a minute!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thanks lads, a few of the FG fellas thought it was too big, but I know if I want 720p this is what I will get. :)

I will perhaps experiment with lower definitions for youtube when I have whole tournaments to throw up.

I wouldnt sacrafice the quality for the sake of the upload.

Kind of makes buying the PVR pointless

Tallon wrote: »
    I wouldnt sacrafice the quality for the sake of the upload.

Kind of makes buying the PVR pointless

At some points I simply will have to, as I will have several hours of footage that people will want to see NAOW. Last month I had 4 gb of SD footage to youtubeise :/ I'll prob throw up the top 3 in full glory and throw the rest up quick. The finals often get reposted to other sites so mission accomplished.

• Advertisement

hold on a sec, i just thought of something.

Are you uploading the raw M2TS file or are you rendering them first?

hold on a sec, i just thought of something.

NOooooooooooooooo. Even I caught that one :)

That's something to bear in mind. With the filesize that low, you can easily just upload thw raw M2TS. YouTube accepts those files and there's no quality or time lost re-encoding before uploading.

The raw MT2S files are betwixt 2-300 MB, in an actual tournament this could be between 600MB to a gig!

The raw MT2S files are betwixt 2-300 MB, in an actual tournament this could be between 600MB to a gig!

Yea? Put them up. YT accepts up to 2gigs at a max time of 15:29;29. (i.e. one frame below 15:30 exactly)

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Yea? Put them up. YT accepts up to 2gigs at a max time of 15:29;29. (i.e. one frame below 15:30 exactly)

Again missing the point that time is finite and I will have several hours of footage to put up. :)

90Mb = 30 minutes roughly. 10 times that when I have people looking to see the footage NAOW? For one fight out of 20 or so? Not going to work :)

When you put it like that - geez, people really can be impatient little whatevers can't they...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    When you put it like that - geez, people really can be impatient little whatevers can't they...

Yup but to be fair as well I would prob have more footage than actual time if I left them full size anyways :D

Just as an example here's a raw video uploaded.

It took 2 hours.

A full fight may be 3- 4 times as long as this.

considering I may have 20-30 to upload a month, you can see why this's pretty much a no go.

Advertisement