Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick camera question

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

did a lot of camera stuff in the past but only cameras fed with rg-59 and lv supplies. when using cat 5 do you use a balun to hardwire the cat5 to the bnc lead on the camera and is it acceptable to use the same cat 5 for the lv supply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

did a lot of camera stuff in the past but only cameras fed with rg-59 and lv supplies. when using cat 5 do you use a balun to hardwire the cat5 to the bnc lead on the camera and is it acceptable to use the same cat 5 for the lv supply.

Correct, one on each end of the cat 5. I would run the power separate or power it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Jnealon

One cat5 cable will do both power and video for a standard dome camera. A balun at each end but some domes come with a balun built in. If there are 4 or more cameras it can get quite congested at the back of the dvr so you can use a 4/8/16 way balun to terminate the wires.
    When powering locally try and use the same phase

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

thanks for the replies, do they do a specific job or are they just a neat convenient way of terminating the cable. im familiar with baluns with respect to radio communications and i know the term balun is short for balanced/unbalanced so are they being used to match the impedance between that camera and the transmission line, in this case the cat5.

That's right balanced/unbalanced. The main advantage with the balun is that you can transmit over longer distances without any loss in quality and you can send 4 video signals down one cat5

Another advantage would be that instead of running a lot of RG59 to one point you can just run the cat5 cable and RG59 from that point, neater job.

• Advertisement

any advantage in using sheilded cat 5 over long runs or to stop incomming interferance. tried ringing reliable and borsetec but all closed today so anyone have a rough price on the balun and the power terminations.
    thanks

Never had a need for shielded.
    Baluns can be got for 5 - 10 euro per pair for the cheap ones. NVT ones will be more expensive

sound thanks for the info. dropping a camera system up to a guy soon who is doing a self install and i want to go trough his options with him and give him a bit of advice on what way to wire it up, prob get roped into giving him a hand :rolleyes: ive a feeling he might go for the rg-59 option cause we only sell cat5 by the box

anyone know where i can get the cat 5 power connections for mains traffo. think its a 2.1 mm jack. tried reliable and borsetec but neither have them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your around that area try Northwood Technology.

• Advertisement

sound ill give them a bell. thanks

Is it the male connectors you're looking for.
    These sometimes come with the cameras.
    IGT in Lucan might have them. I also have a bag of them if you are stuck

Beacon communications, Unit 1 A, Nangor Road Business Park

i need two of each. the psu has a male and the cam has a female. i would usually cut and solder the jack on the psu but there for a mate and i dont want him butchering the leads. i can get the baluns for 10 euro a pair but couldnt get a price for the power connections.

Is it the male connectors you're looking for.
    These sometimes come with the cameras.
    IGT in Lucan might have them. I also have a bag of them if you are stuck

thanks for the offer, if your goin by finglas in the near future ill buy some off ye.

You'll need these for the camera as cutting the lead to the camera would void the warranty.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=130764&stc=1&d=1286910432

I haven't come across the female plugs but you could use one of these if you don't like cutting the leads.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=130763&stc=1&d=1286910360

The furthest north I will be this week is Mary Street

Jnealon wrote: »
    You'll need these for the camera as cutting the lead to the camera would void the warranty.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=130764&stc=1&d=1286910432

I haven't come across the female plugs but you could use one of these if you don't like cutting the leads.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=130763&stc=1&d=1286910360

The furthest north I will be this week is Mary Street

yeah i would leave the camera lead alone and just cut the plug off the psu and hardwire it to the cat5 at the dvr. that way ill just need the power connections at the camera. thanks for the offer and if i get stuck ill give ye a shout on here. im tryin to make the installation of this system as idiot proof as posible for this lad, not that he's an idiot but he wouldnt know how to terminate a bnc or keep the polarity correct on his cable runs ect.

Advertisement