Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your happiest moment?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I've never started a thread in C+H before and I thought this would be a good one.

I know mines a bit sad but it was in Wembley Stadium when me and my dad saw Hull City win promotion.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Yeah good idea for a thread :)
    This is tough! Most recent happiest moment would be getting my LC results, but my overall happiest moment would have to be when I won the Irish Champs in rowing ! We told EVERYONE ! We could not stop screaming and that smile didn't fade for weeks!
    I hope I don't sound arrogant or selfish by saying my happiest moment was winning a race! We truely did not expect to win ! I just remember the slip being empty as we rowed to the start and after the race it was full of loads of club members to congratulate us! Loved that feeling :)

Possibly my Leaving Cert results. Possibly the holiday after them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Possibly my Leaving Cert results. Possibly the holiday after them. :)

LC results was great too. Opening that envelope is something I will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Hmm, I can't really think of just one. Obviously LC, because I was convinced I'd failed Irish and wouldn't get into UCD or anywhere, and I pulled off a C.

I'll post something better tomorrow when I can think of something more worthwhile to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I really can't think of one, I think just hanging around with friends tends to leave me in a happier mood than any large events.
    I've competed in/won a few of the old programming competitions before, which is a pretty cool feeling (at least while you're competing, then the mental exhaustion kicks in hard :(), but probably still not as fun as the aforementioned dicking around.

I'm a bit freaked out that everyone so far has mentioned LC results, apart from Maths and Applied Maths (and a lot of Physics, but not all) every single subject I did seemed to be mindless rote-learning.
    The best part about doing the LC and getting the results was just the realisation that I'd never be expected to do something that retarded and pointless again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I thought getting the LC results was a massive anti-climax tbh. I just thought 'all that work and fuss for just one bit of paper'.

Not sure if it was the happiest moment of my life and it might sound a tad sad but encountering Black Francis of Pixies fame (bear in mind that I obsessed over them and him for the past 48 months or so) on the street and getting him to sign my t-shirt induced me into a rare state of being completely awestruck. My friends actually thought I was crying. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Getting my CAO offer was amazing!

I went engagment ring shopping with my cousin's boyfriend and it was savage being the first to know about that! Couldn't talk to her for ages incase I let slip :o

There's probably more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Junior Cert results day. Most of my results ended up pretty much as I'd predicted. Across the board I was pretty happy, but the one I was happiest with was maths even though it was my lowest grade. I'm really awful with numbers and didn't expect to pass. I found it so difficult that I wasn't even in a mainstream class, and even in the tiny, slow moving class I was in, I had to work my ass off to keep up. (When I came out of the exam hall, I cried because I was convinced I'd failed. :p)

But then came results day, and that little OL D meant a hell of a lot more to me than my B in HL Irish. :pac:

*wipes away nostalgic tear*

Now excuse me while I go shake my fist at LC maths. :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Getting an A1 in Leaving Cert English was a major highlight for me, after my teacher told my parents at the 6th parent/teacher meeting that I'd "maybe get a good B" if I kept working hard.

Winning the Comórtas na dTithe at Irish College (the third time I was there) was one of those silly things that's always stayed with me too. The lads in the house made such a big deal of it!

Oh, and winning Project of the Year in TY was such an epic surprise. I threw 12 poems together (wrote 9 of them on the day before the project was due) and still had it picked out as the best project in my class. I think I conned a few people there... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Looking at my thumb after it was 'relocated'. Although, I suspect the laughing gas contributed greatly to my happiness (too bad it didn't help with the pain). :D

• Advertisement

Getting an A1 in Leaving Cert English was a major highlight for me, after my teacher told my parents at the 6th parent/teacher meeting that I'd "maybe get a good B" if I kept working hard.

I was told I'd fail English and Maths and I'd be repeating :p

I got me a B1 in english AND the best in his class. Silly silly teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I think I have two. Not moments but periods of time. One was during Transition Year and we put on a musical. I can honestly say I have never had so much craic in my whole life. We pretty much stopped going to school for about a month and dedicated our whole time to the show over in the local hall. We put so much effort into that show but got up to so much divilment at the same time. It was during all of this that I got closer to people who are now my best friends. I still would do anything to go back there.

Second happy moment was the last week of first year in college. We had all just finished exams. My housemates and I decided we were going to have the best week of the year and we did. We went out some nights, we stayed in some nights, we drove around Wicklow, we had picnics, we had sleepovers..... Those few days were pure and utter bliss. Even cleaning our apartment was fun. I love them so much and our last few days living together were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I don't really have one. My leaving cert results certainly wasn't a big deal, as I was certain already that I had what I needed. Maybe the last day of the exams, after App Maths, knowing I was finished with school forever and could do whatever I wanted to after how well the exams went. Beyond that, I've had many memorable moments, but no standout #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

A school related happy moment: two months after I finished my LC, on a Saturday, waking up and realising I never had to do Saturday study again. That was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Is it bad that I can't remember any particularly happy moments in my life? On the plus side nothing bad has really happened to me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Hmmm it's hard to pick out one big, awesome happy moment. For me it's always those moments where you just realise that you wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the entire world at this moment.. Corny but also true! here are some that spring to mind:

The day after my 20th birthday party: A good few of my friends had stayed over and after about 3 hours sleep I woke everyone up and we all sat around in sleeping bags talking about the night before and pissing oursleves laughing at the stupidest things. We then made a fry and almost set fire to my kitchen and we were so hyper it took us about an hour to eat it because we were just laughing non-stop. We then spent the rest of the day playing Guitar Hero and MarioKart and watching movies. Perfect day!!

Some random night during the summer: There was 4 of us walking home around 3am and it started absolutely lashing rain, like it was so heavy it kinda hurt. We all went absolutely mental and leapt around the place like maniacs kicking puddles at each other and what not. I don't why it stands out for me but it was just such a happy night.

Oxegen 10: The whole thing was a massive happy experience for me but Muse was a massive highlight for me. I remember they started played 'Starlight' and it was pouring rain and there was all types of crazy lights and lasers. Twas epic.

Leaving Cert Holiday: The first holiday with my friends. The first night was the most memorable for me. We got to the hotel around 1am and everyone was really tired and we decided we'd take it easy that night. Ended up having the best night ever and going for a spontaneous swim at dawn on the empty beach.

Edinburgh New Year 09/10 - Twas a family holiday and we just had so much fun. Random snowball fights and the New Yeas Eve street party. There was a massive fireworks display at midnight and we were all hugging each other etc twas the best family holiday ever.

Plenty more but meh I'm bored of writing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The day my dancing teacher told me I qualified to compete in the All Ireland and International Irish Dancing Championships was one of the happiest moments of my life :) I started irish dancing relatively late compared to most serious competitors (most start around 4-6, I was 11 when I did) and I worked so, so hard to get out of beginners and into pre-open and then open. Sometimes I'd see no reward for all my hard work but I never gave up and it eventually all paid off.

To qualify for the All-Irelands you have to place in your regional Championships aswell as in the top 3 of any open championships 3 times during the year. I didn't even realise I'd qualified until after a feis when my teacher told me. I'd never actually been so happy in my life :D Sure I was 15 going to my first All Ireland but the fact that I've even got there was a huge achievement.

Dancing has given me a lot of my happiest moments in life <3

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I can answer for myself and Bobalicious here.

Finishing Jordan on Expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I don't really have just one, and I don't think I realised that any of them were that great at the time but anyway.

When I passed my driving test. I was actually more nervous for my test than any other exam ever. I was so happy it was insane, I didn't stop smilling all day and 2 months on despite the fact I'm not driving or in Ireland I still carry my licsence with me.

The other day a much older friend/person I respect MUCHO told me that I had wisdom beyond my years and he respected ME. <3

When I was in school the boys and girls in my year didn't really mix, I don't know why we just didn't get on. There was a talent show in sixth year and we decided to do skits slagging each other. Long story short we weren't allowed do them so we baracaded ourselfs in the common room and did them there. it was so much fun. We then all went to the prefects room and had toast and went back outside to play in rain. We went to say goodbye to one of the boys who had just been expelled but he'd just driven off but the principal was watching him leave and when he saw us he started shouting at us to go to our dorms. All I heard was someone shout "Make the bástard run!" and we legged it all around the school with the principal chaseing after us...then we pretty much did disperse and go to our dorms but it was the SO much fun. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Probably when we went to France in TY. Everything about that trip was amazing- everyone was talking to everyone else, me and my friends somehow got the only adjoining rooms in the hotel so we ended up staying awake until 3 in the morning watching Norwegian horror films and Bruce Almighty in German and being on top of the Eiffel Tower at night was the most beautiful thing ever. AND we went to Disneyland. AND hot French boys. Even the less successful parts (teachers mistook the Pompidou art gallery for a shopping centre -.-) are some of my favourite memories. I <3 France

• Advertisement

Being in Kilkee for a week in June 08 after a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally horrible 5th year! It was just so much fun!!

And the night of my 18th birthday in April. It turned out my birthday fell on Holy Thursday so the pubs had to close at 12 and it was during Easter week off from college but a load of my friends came down to Limerick just for me :D but it was actually the most fun night EVER! And afterwards we went back to my friends house and I fell asleep under his coffee table :) I just remember him looking after me and I was like 'These people love me :D'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My favourite moments generally stem from gigs.

Seeing Alexisonfire, NIN and MCR(In Belfast) were pretty transcendental moment for me :D

Personal life ones aren't going on boards though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Drawing and creating things makes me happy, definitely. I always get this surge of positivity whenever I'm working on something I'm proud of, and I feel especially delighted if somebody compliments something I've done. I can think of one moment in particular when this made me really happy...

I had to attend an interview for an architecture course in DCU a few months before I did my Leaving Cert, and it required a portfolio. So, I assembled some of my drawings and artybits into a massive folder and stayed late after my art class to have my teacher evaluate it. I was very close with my art teacher, and I really respect her because she's an incredible artist and a wonderful person. I wasn't particularly great in the first few years of secondary school but she used always spur me on to improve, insisting that I had a "good eye for things".

She was one of the most supportive people I've ever known, and I'll never forget that talk we had when she was looking through my portfolio case, giving her thoughts on each piece included. Eventually she took a still life I had done a few days earlier as an example, and told me that I should apply to an art college as I could be accepted into any one. She said I had a talent that I should foster, and she knew it was what I really wanted to do. I regret not following her advice because it really is what I'm most passionate about, but it was so encouraging to have somebody believe in me to that extent. I'm going to follow it up, though, and some day I'll track her down and thank her for being such an inspiring person. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

When I passed my second driving the test. The feeling of being handed a blank sheet and being told that it was an 'excellent' run, especially having failed it only 3 weeks earlier, was brilliant! I went into school after it and everyone was asking me how I got on, and it felt great to say that I passed!

/sad life :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

illiop wrote: »
    When I was in school the boys and girls in my year didn't really mix, I don't know why we just didn't get on. There was a talent show in sixth year and we decided to do skits slagging each other. Long story short we weren't allowed do them so we baracaded ourselfs in the common room and did them there. it was so much fun. We then all went to the prefects room and had toast and went back outside to play in rain. We went to say goodbye to one of the boys who had just been expelled but he'd just driven off but the principal was watching him leave and when he saw us he started shouting at us to go to our dorms. All I heard was someone shout "Make the bástard run!" and we legged it all around the school with the principal chaseing after us...then we pretty much did disperse and go to our dorms but it was the SO much fun. :D

Your school sounds like Harry Potters! \o/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh I have another one, probably not the happiest moment in my life but it made me feel really happy!

My accounting teacher kept me behind after one class near the end of 6th year. She just told me how mannerly and modest I was, and she said that I was one of the nicest and most talented students that she has ever thought, and she said that it's students like me who make teaching really worthwhile! And this is the teacher that most people in the school fear because she is so strict! It was a really nice moment (I'm such a sap).

Then a few days later a photo went up on facebook of me (drunkenly) hugging her on graduation night :o! Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Another one just popped into my head. The moment when Robbie Keane equalised against Germany in the 2002 World Cup was awesome. My entire class watched it togehter and my teacher did a cartwheel:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Yesterday was definitely a highlight. A group of us were around grafton street last night when one of friends was acting a bit weird and insisted we all go to some milkshake place on Dame street, when we got there the rest went in but my friend dropped her bag so I hung back. Then this creepy looking girl with half her face covered stepped out of a door way and picked it up, I thought she was going to hand it back for a second but instead she just stood there staring at us. I didn't know what to make of it until she unzipped her coat collar; it was a friend of ours from home, who I hadn't seen in about two months because she goes to NUIG. The whole thing was a set up to surprise us!
    Screaming and hugging ensued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Amsterdam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Well for me coming first in our BT Young Scientist category was amazing. Me and my friend worked hard on the project but didn't really expect to win. When they called out our names and i started to walk to collect the shield thing it was amazing.
    On a sporting note winning every game seems amazing and losing one match seems like the end of the world.

Advertisement