Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Student News and Journo Soc Media Night Conflict

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Byron85 wrote: »
    We've pretty much been barred from attending in a legitimate fashion so I just thought the following would be of interest to a few of you.

http://www.corkstudentnews.com/hostedblogs/journosoc-media-night-a-farce-10908

Wait Byron do you write for the student news or with the express?
    Cause i thought you were with the student news but the guy they bitch about in that piece is called byron........or is it just a total coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Wait Byron do you write for the student news or with the express?
    Cause i thought you were with the student news but the guy they bitch about in that piece is called byron........or is it just a total coincidence.

I write for the "Student News" so it's a total coincidence as my real name isn't Byron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Byron85 wrote: »
    I write for the "Student News" so it's a total coincidence as my real name isn't Byron.

Ah right that was totally confusing me their for a sec;)

Bad form on behalf of the journo soc but i think its just something you see a lot around UCC where you have conflicts of interest. And to be honest i see the "Student news" as a lot more informative and interesting than what the express usually have .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Maybe you're too long winded, maybe you should write 'tabloid' style with sensational headlines followed by no substance or facts and repeat the headlines in five different ways.

WE'RE BANNED
    Bit actually if you read my long article you'll see that I'm not actually banned, nor are my associates, or my staff, we can attend but
    WE'RE NOT REALLY BANNED
    But if your read my lon ......................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

^ Uh-oh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The fact that the UCC English Lit. Society, who presumably have scant little to do with ‘media’ reporting, are mentioned as an attendee, merely adds insult to injury.

In fairness, the Lit Soc aren't listed as an attendee; the notice on Facebook contained the societies name so that the message would appear on the Lit Soc's Facebook page too, which is understandable given that there are a few writers in the society.

Regardless of that, this strikes me as another example of the usual cliquey nature of the "in crowd" in UCC. The fact that the average student actually pays money to the Journo Soc and to the Express makes this even more annoying. When you're accepting money from the general student body you have a moral responsibility to act, at least in some way, in the interests of the student body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PlainText

Disclaimer: I am not involved with the Societies' Guild or any other official body in UCC.

Having read the editor of Cork Student News' blog post regarding the situation, I was left with an overwhelming impression of, sorry to say it, arrogance and petulance.

Firstly, the reason that the Guild has not stepped in to vindicate Cork Student News is that it is not a society of the university, and as far as I am aware, it has no intention to become one. How can you possibly expect an autonomous entity to prevail in the eyes of the Guild over a legitimate society that follows general regulations imposed on all societies in UCC?

Similarly ridiculous are the suggestions throughout the article that Journo Soc is not a proper outlet for "journalism". The Express does at least (even if it does not succeed) try to cover issues relevant to the college (and not to CIT or the rest of Ireland), and to provide view points from a few different angles, as opposed to just those of the editor and friends. It's not composed of 3/10 national news lifted from national media outlets, 3/10 injokes and 4/10 brief snippets on college life. Perhaps this is why UCC SU and Guild do not feel the need to back COrk Student News to the hilt.

Cork Student News is a nice project, and it is well handled by its founders. It loses a bit of its appeal however when those involved in running it use it as a platform to launch diatribes against bodies like Journo Soc and the Guild. Calling it "Cork Student News" doesn't automatically make it a body of UCC, and it needs a more substantial tie to the university before it becomes the concern of the Guild et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

I haven't written on here in a long time, and probably wont get a chance to catch up with the back and forth in this thread tomorrow, but here's a quick reaction to the last poster.

The website has had over 40 contributors since starting. Perhaps as many of five or six out of these have been my friends, the vast majority are people who I have (unfortunately this is occasionally true) either never met, or gotten to know only through their involvement in the website. Needless to say guest contributors like Gerry Adams are not people whom I know from day to day life! We've had a few recent signups, and a few more in the process of registering to write with the website. Now, more so than ever more, the allegation of the site being me and my friends is a complete fallacy.

As to the 3/10 'injokes', perhaps the poster would so kind to let us know which articles referring to, and offer that figure as a percentage of the over 1,300 articles which we've published to date.

Finally categorizing my earlier blog as a 'diatribe' is similarly misleading.

Not being allowed attend the media open night was an insult to the website and the people who've put time and effort into it. It should only have been expected that I or someone else with the site would offer our opinion on it using CorkStudentNews as the forum.

If you read the article carefully you'd see that I never said the JournoSoc wasn't a proper outlet for journalism. I said that it's decision was wrong, and that it's committee had a ridiculous conflict of interest. You might also let me know what about the article you found to be arrogant?

As to the bit about national news, the amount of local and national news articles published pales in comparison the amount of local stories we carry.

Categories like national student news and local student news feature stories which are directly relevant to the lives of UCC students (e.g. the fees issue, student emigration, etc).

We've also launched a few really nice ideas recently to make the website more about student news and less 'in joke'y as you call it.

Photo galleries from local events, syndication of the SU society event calendar (which they very kindly gave us permission for), and streamlined categories are just some of the ways we're trying to move the website in the direction you suggest it go in.

We're also finalizing an agreement with colledge121.com to syndicate their podcasts and produce some of our own, which should be another useful addition to the site.

Finally, as for my blog post being 'petulant', as I've already said, it was a missed opportunity for the website, more than a little insulting, and something we'd every right to be angry about.

Hope this answered your post.

Eliot: your point about the LitSoc is correct. A poster did, however, say that it was a chance to meet them, which is why I included it in the article, but I take your point and will edit the article to delete that; thanks for pointing out.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I used to read the Express, not any more. The website has some decent news about the college and issues that affect students, not like the drivel that comes out in some issues of the Express. I attended one meeting last year of the Journo soc, and felt the cliquey nature of it straight away tbh, never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I attended one meeting last year of the Journo soc, and felt the cliquey nature of it straight away tbh,

That's not surprising given their history.

• Advertisement
Advertisement