Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring your horse

Options
  • 06-10-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there, I was just wondering if Allianz is the only insurance company in ireland who insures horses, or are there others. I would like to hear from you how you found them in the event of a claim and if they exclude anything from their policies. Like is colic covered. Do you all go with the maximum cover like Loss of use, Death by illness or injury, Theft or straying, Advertising and Reward, Disposal of the horse, Third Party Liability, Saddelry and Tack, Vets Fees, Permanent loss of use, Rider Personal accident and injury, I realise Vets Fees are important and third party but the rest I am not sure if I need them. Also do they cover alternative treatments for the horse if required. I have only initially enquired with them and have none of the small print details. Please Help

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had my guy insured with a crowd in Bracetown business park (cant remember the name) first year was fine but the second year increased in price (no claim) and required blood tests to qualify for insurance against a certain disease so didnt renew. I only have BHS insurance on him now (thiird pary only) and stick a few quid aside each week to cover any vets fees, hes approx 13 now and in good health. Insurance can be a bit funny in regards to colic as from my take on it Colic is not life threatening until the late stages so its not covered till this stage which is usually too late. Check the excess on the policy too

Of course it depends on the individual insurance company (I might be talking out of my a** too :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

if you join Countryside Alliance you get insurance as part of your membership... Only for public liability and personal accident so it doesn't cover your horse, but does cover against people suing you if your horse kicks their car/dog etc... €60 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you have gold membership with the BHS (third party) can you use another insurance company for vet, loss of use etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Thanks for all your help, will look into the BHS thing and see if I can get suitable cover. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

I must admit that I am a little bit worried that no one on this forum is insured by Allianz, or is it that no one bothers with insurance because of the cost or am I missing something, a lot of people are viewing this question but "Not many Comments" strange!!!!.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

BHS Gold is the best I think, good value aswell!! think its around 57 pounds for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I'm with Mercury Bloodstock.

It actually shocks me when people say they don't have their horse insured, even for public liability, which in my opinion is absolutely vital. Anything could happen out hacking, or even if your horse escapes and causes damage or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I'm insured by Allianz, about 36 Euros a month, but most importantly it covers vets fee, which last year you couldn't get in Ireland. After seeing what some owners have had to pay to keep their horses fit I think it's a small cost. I'm also a member of BHS, but that insurance is 'third party' only, ie you get hit by a car out hacking, the drivers insurance company will pursue you regardless of blame and you covered against them and the liabilities they will try to get out of you! I can't believe that owners, riders go out on the road without insurance these days. Anyone who's ever had to deal with an insurance company following a traffic accident will understand. :rolleyes:

Advertisement