Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you install sky+ yourself?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there

I am moving back to the folks gaf in a couple of weeks but they only have the most bog standard sky package you can get (No sky+, no sports, no extra entertainment packs) which is obviously unworkable!

We have all that in my current spot and when I rang sky they said they could switch it over to the folks place but an engineer would have to come and install it and this would cos 40 quid. We'd just be cancelling the folks account. I'd prefer to avoid paying the 40 quid if possible so does anyone reckon you could manage the switch yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

€40 is not bad to be honest. You will need an extra run of cable from the dish and a new LNB (to handle the extra feed). Be careful though - make sure this change doesn't lock you in for another 12 months.

You can do it for free if you can live with limitations i.e. no record one, watch another feature. Just bring your box and plug it in! Maybe you could do this for a "few weeks" rather than canceling your parents a/c, and moving yours over. When you leave, just plug your parents box back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€40 is very reasonable-you'd get a brand new lnb,new cable and the knowledge that the work is done by a pro-by the time you buy the gear yourself it'd be over the €40 mark before you even begin to install it and then factor in the time and effort on top.You might even manage to get them to relocate your parents old box to another room to use for fta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ozzy2727

Yeh I suppose 40 quid isn't too much especially when I'd be pretty clueless about how to do it myself if I'm being honest!

Cheers for the advice lads

Zerks - they'd hardly throw the spare box in another room so you could watch fta would they?! Only one way to find out I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes, it's yours.

You'd have to pay for the cabling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Or throw the installer a few bob & he'll do it in his own time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement