Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Necessary?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We're going to be welcoming a new pup into the family in the next week or so and I'm just wondering is it necessary to buy a kennel for the garden, even if the dog will be sleeping in the house?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

No not at all, waste of money. Your dog will be happier inside and probably will only go out when its play time or toilet time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

I'd say not to buy the kennel for the moment. If the dog is going to be in your house all the time then there will never be a need for one.

This forum great for advice and especially the new puppy issue so feels free to ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Our dog is primarily a house dog but does be out in the back garden a bit. He loves his kennel and has often walked out of the kitchen and straight into his kennel. I think he likes the enclosed space from time to time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If at some point you are going to be leaving the dog out during the day (e.g. while you are at work) then consider getting a kennel at this point. I wouldn't be leaving a young pup out on it's own now at this stage anyway as it will be much too cold and won't have built up any resistance to the weather. Getting a crate for your house is much better option anyway and is a massive help in house-training, if you aren't going to use it after house-training is finished it still comes in handy later on for car journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

suziwalsh wrote: »
    No not at all, waste of money. Your dog will be happier inside and probably will only go out when its play time or toilet time :D

Yes my Bichon uses our dog house as her toilet !!!! she thinks she is too good to poo in pubic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. My two are a bit like Fred Funk's above. They like their kennel (when it suits them!) and sometimes run out and get straight in. I find it good to have because, even though they sleep inside, if they are out during the day they sometimes like a rest (or shelter if it rains) so the kennel is quite useful. Basically, I would get a kennel for a new puppy. The dog wont be a puppy for very long:( and, when he or she is bigger the kennel will come into its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I got one for my guy when I first got him, with the idea he might like to spend the odd nice day outside.

The only use it's ever got is by my cats who like to sit on the roof!

Advertisement