Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike thefts

Options
  • 06-10-2010 2:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now that all the undergrads are back, we have returned to the annual bike theft bonanza. Just to reiterate a warning about locking your bikes properly. The Gardai who called out last year pointed out the only bikes stolen were those locked with cheap cable locks like this one:

cable-lock-1.jpg

or ones locked using a weak padlock with chain:

Thick-Type-Brass-Padlock.jpg

Can I recommend using locks such as this one to secure your frame and back wheel:
    new-york-fahgettaboudit-u-lock-from-kryptonite-.jpg

and use it like this:

thumb-20100725100637752.jpg

and then a strong cable lock or a U lock for your front tyre and frame:

lockitup.jpg

Do not think for one second the security guard facing the bike lock up will notice/care/do anything if someone attempts to steal your bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Kryptonite u-locks are way to go.But if you have very expensive bike i wouldnt even trust them. Heard stories that people were finding glue in the lock, so they were leaving bike for the night to come back next day with someone to cut the lock, just to find out that bike has been stolen overnight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

twinsen wrote: »
    Kryptonite u-locks are way to go.But if you have very expensive bike i wouldnt even trust them. Heard stories that people were finding glue in the lock, so they were leaving bike for the night to come back next day with someone to cut the lock, just to find out that bike has been stolen overnight.

True but the thieves around the I.T. appear to be generally two guys wandering in with bolt cutters for the quick steal, so it would appear from the padlocks and cables lying around this week. Hopefully anyway, last year quite a few of them were taken during the day, while the security guard was in the hut. They were only seen on one occasion where they were chased away.

I never leave my bike in the IT overnight, if I had to, I'd try and sneak it inside somewhere, if it was possible. Or bring it somewhere I'd feel safer locking it up, if there was glue in the lock, there is noway it would be left, local hardware shop/house/estates would be contacted to find a way to saw off that lock even if it takes a long time or maybe try some decent paint-stripper like Nitromors from Halfords or super-glue de-bonder which should be available in most hardware shops to see can you strip out the glue, but this will also take time and your lock will pry sieze soon afterwards.

If anyone is worried about getting their lock glued, bring some grease or silicon spray and put some in after you lock the bike as this should help stop the glue adhering to the tumblers, then hopefully pull out the glue with a toothpick. I've also heard of guys using vaseline in there so it looks like its already glued and it would be similar to other lubricants although I do not know how effective this would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Actually, I noticed the other day when i got home that my quick release's were opened on my back wheel! I'd cycled all the say home with the back one open, and the front loosened! Crazy stuff. This is my first year up there so wasnt aware it was that bad.
    I've 2 locks on my bike anyway. One being a code lock.

Actually, I accidentally left it overnight 2 weeks ago. Was in the metro and came out and the gate was locked. Was ragin. Obviously it was there the morning after.

Also, thats dissappointing about the security guard! What are they being paid for if this stuff happens right beside them, and under the camera as well!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Actually, I noticed the other day when i got home that my quick release's were opened on my back wheel! I'd cycled all the say home with the back one open, and the front loosened! Crazy stuff.

Seen this happening in a few places, absolutely insane, it's happened to me in town before
    This is my first year up there so wasnt aware it was that bad.

It's not too bad, if it's locked well then it should be fine, it's always 2 lads with a bolt cutters looking for a quick steal, the place has a reputation for not locking bikes properly, hence why they keep coming back.
    Also, thats dissappointing about the security guard! What are they being paid for if this stuff happens right beside them, and under the camera as well!

Several complaints were made by staff and students but like everything in Ireland, nothing was done about it after the initial reaction went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

not to repeat it too much...but a good lock is such a great investment - usually will cost you at least 50 euro.

They've tried to cut/saw mine before but with no avail thankfully, no more attempts since.

If you have a good bike, you'd be mental not to invest in a great lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Just a warning that it's still going on, my friends bike got stolen on thursday around 11am. Guy just walked up to it and somehow unlocked the lock,lock was fine after when my friend found it so don't know what he did. Also the guy had his face covered so they know they're being watched by cctv and still do it.
    Bike lock wasn't great so it's probably why he went for it.

Don't expect the security to ever be a deterrent,the security guy I see there is way too old to be any danger for the robbers. Only deterrent like said before is a good lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

thats ****ty!
    I havent had my bike stolen (yet) but i did have my quick releases opened. Only found out when i got home and was lifting my back into the house. The back wheel was making a noise and i noticed someone had opened it!

Are them chains with the code combination better than the ones with the key? I'm assuming they actually pick the lock itself and dont cut the cable so they'd be ok, ye?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Are them chains with the code combination better than the ones with the key? I'm assuming they actually pick the lock itself and dont cut the cable so they'd be ok, ye?

Not really, the combination ones are usually quite weak/thin and they cut through them with a bolt cutters in a few seconds, all the locks I have seen have ben cut by a bolt cutters and not picked.

Basically, all the cable locks I see out there are only good for putting people of knicking your saddle, they are not good enough to stop someone stealing your bike.

No lock is impenetrable - it is just a question of how long it can delay a thief.

Advertisement